Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in Florida

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 12, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We don’t have a good handle on this. But, the shut down of bars and restaurants suggest that this is the reason for spread. I can say that when I walk in the heat on the beach walk, many people there are not wearing masks while they walk, run, or ride bikes. I would say 50-50. There are also cases where people have gotten sick in nursing homes bc of staff bringing it in and jails.

2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Video shows large, late-night crowd outside Tampa bar

I have been in this bar before, it is maybe a 3000 sq ft building
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Bars have been shut down for near 5 months straight (save 2 weeks) yet cases continue to rise. Not sure how they are still being blamed. Perhaps people should start to realize bars are nothing more than a low hanging scapegoat for people not following protocol.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I agree lack of following social
    distancing guidelines is the major contributor, but now that many bars and breweries are operating under a restaurant license, not all are closed anymore. Like the one in the article.

Drive around Orange Beach Alabama on a Friday night. It’s like there’s no pandemic at all. Basically, it’s all the millennial’s fault. But that’s how life works. Not many wise 22 year olds running around. Most still just care about meeting the opposite sex and making a few bucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Everyone has to have someone to blame.

I’m one of those people. However my blame are the citizens themselves who ignore the rules. Mostly young people who just change their venues to where they can and will continue to congregate. Close all businesses and they go inside and party at their homes. Sorry, I have no faith in the kids and younger adults. They aren’t afraid of getting sick. They just don’t care.

Attention: My comments are based on personal observations since February in my beach community. They have not been peer reviewed, scored, or tested for authenticity. I have the right to be 100% correct, maybe just a little off, and of course completely wrong.

Signed. Florida Beach Man

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Almost everyone I see in a store in Jacksonville is masked. 100 percent in some stores.
    But we've been taking some regular day trips and when you get rural or small town - whether it's North Florida or South Georgia, masks simply aren't very common. And you regularly see people standing close and talking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Absolutely. We are doing the same (getting our 509 food license). Which is insane but if that's the way this is going to shake out, so be it. If the govt says serving a sandwich with a beer prevents Covid, I'm not gonna sit on the sidelines and go out of business. If the govt and some young people aren't taking this serious, so be it at this point. It's not my job to police them, unfortunately. All I can control is out protocols as a business.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    I'll bet Lenny's going to decide that your samich or wings doesn't qualify.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    South Florida is a strange and different animal. But they haven’t gotten community spread under control here. There are stories of private parties too.

10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    New cases: +7047 (7-day average down to 8975, 23.7% lower than peak 16 days ago)
    New hosptilizations: +178 (a little over half of last Sunday's report)
    New deaths +62 (less than last Sunday)

New positive percentage: 16.96% (Hopkins method)
    New positive percentage: 9.28% (from page 2 State report)

New cases number might be lower than otherwise reported figuring the decrease in testing, it might be more like 8700 new cases based on recent testing numbers. But hospitalizations and case positivity both show positive trends.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Going to be interesting see how much the numbers skew with the East coast of Fl not testing for 4 days due to the storm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll try to make note of that as we go. Comparing the actual number vs. what would have been expected utilizing the same positive percentage against the average amount of testing the previous week.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I hope it works out for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Its the same up here in Jax. Private parties, underground concerts, etc. My gripe is strip clubs and cigar bars are open and operating like normal. So you can't tell me this is being taken seriously. So either shutter it or let us compete. This half measure targeting one industry is just a bullshit cop-out.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Much appreciated. It would suck if it doesn't, but I could at least accept it unders the circumstances if we were given an actual chance to compete with all the other "unsafe" stuff that is currently operating. But the industry shouldn't be sacrificed for no reason, as we are being now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    At one point, you could rent a room in a motel or a huge resort at the beach, but not a single-family home.
    Figure that out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. surfn1080

surfn1080 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2008
    Decrease in testing?
    A total of 87.9k test for sunday....
    upload_2020-8-2_13-50-40.png

Also, Hopkins method still makes no sense to me. Where in the state data does it separate the different test types?
    Oh and speculating on "decreased" testing that cases are more like 8.7k makes no sense at all.

Labs are taking 3-10 days to report test. Drive through testing being shut down is not going to have any real impact on today's numbers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    @surfn1080

The August 2nd report indicates an adjusted total tested of 3,720,997 (that's 487,132 positive + 3,233,865 negative) on page 1 of the report (essentially, it's the total tested minus "inconclusive"). Agreed?

The August 1st report indicates an adjusted total tested of 3,679,443 (that's 480,028 positive + 3,199,415 negative) on page 1 of the report (leaving out 5,342 "inconclusive"). Agreed?

The difference between the total adjusted tested from the 8/1 report and the 8/2 report as indicated by the data from page 1 is 41,554. Agreed?

In fact, if you go back over the last 18 reports, you'll notice a total discrepancy of over 750,000 tests when comparing the total difference from the page 1 information vs. the totals from page 2. How do you explain the difference? I don't have an answer for that, nor have I seen a useful one presented. Until I see one, I think it's useful to consider both angles since we don't know which one is more accurate.

Am I crazy here or do you all see the same sort of discrepancy?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    going to also be interesting to see how many people on this board declare success when they see the numbers go down

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I already know the names:D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1