Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in Florida

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 12, 2020.

1. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I don't have a position; what I have is an affinity for accurate and current info.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty big statement. Any additional evidence of this or is your case based solely on one over-serviced area? I hope so or someone is going to accuse you of cherry picking.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    not referring to you, referring to the person who posted the link without bothering to read the article

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Nov 3rd? Putin needs more time to manipulate the election results so we should delay the election until we can make sure the results are "accurate";)

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    New cases = 9591 (7-day average drops to 9,291...down 20.9% from peak 15 days ago)
    New hospitalizations = 439 (last two days are better than the previous week by 65 (Friday report) and 66 (Saturday report))
    New deaths = 175 (higher than last week, may not have rounded the turn on deaths just yet)

New positive % via Hopkins method = 18.6%
    New positive % on State report page 2 = 11.08%

I understand that we're supposed to have some reduced testing, so keep that in mind over the next few days. Will be interesting to see how that impacts the numbers.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Active COVID hospitalizations down nearly 1000 from two weeks ago:

8/1: 7,935
    7/18: 8,915

@duchen, perhaps it is optimistic, but I track the data from this website: Workbook: Public

This is information that the state provides based on what all the hospitals report. Like most of the stuff I observe, I can't account for it's accuracy, but I can account for my accuracy of comparing the numbers. :)

It should also be noted that the numbers can vary quite a bit throughout the day.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    WoM has today's number at 9642/179

Also topping 7000 deaths

Any idea why there is a difference?

8. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Likely residents-only vs. non-residents added.

It's unfortunate that the state finds it necessary to make a distinction and only does so in some places. Personally, if they get sick here and they are remaining here, then it seems reasonable to count that within our jurisdiction. For the most part, the numbers I post for "new cases" and for "new hospitalizations" and "new deaths" are referring to "residents" because that information is most easily extracted from the website. The trends should all be similar when considering non-residents as well, but necessarily, those numbers will be slightly higher. For "active hospitalizations" I believe that includes non-residents, but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah, I think that is it. WoM reports all of the Florida numbers, not just residents. The state making a distinction between Florida residents and out-of-state people who die from covid IN Florida is really cheap and obviously an attempt to make the death statistic look lower. It would be like not counting traffic fatalities that occur in Florida because the person wasn't a Florida resident.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You would be better off using the FAU numbers.

11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    This data is consistent with the state resources that I am using.

FAU | State of Florida Data

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    How is Florida still seeing 10,000 new cases a day? This spike has been going on for over a month. Are people not wearing masks? What gives? I think I know at least part of the answer, but I'm curious what people who live in FL are seeing right now. Here in KY, we have mask orders and they are 99% being followed.

13. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    In my opinion, there's a divide between information seekers and apathetic individuals. I don't think the divide is political in nature, although there are certainly some vocal on the right side arguing incorrectly on the side of "freedom." I think some folks are being magnified for political reasons (why not, it's an election year). The bigger concern, I believe are the apathetic folks who are curiously not being attempted to be reached by local leaders and hospital administrators to gain a greater participation of masking and social distancing. For what it's worth, I've been complaining about that since the beginning of all this, and we've seen very little change. None of this is intended to excuse greater efforts that could have been (and still can be) made at the state and federal levels. Again, just my two bits.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    I sort of get it. Way more people will die this year from smoking, yet still millions light up daily and thousands more will start smoking. In the end, if you’re under 60 and in decent health, your chances of dying from Covid-19 are very slim.

That said, I’m not sure if I totally agree the spread is a case of people not taking it seriously. I think in many cases, masks are not effective and can in fact lull people into a false sense of security from the virus. I believe the virus in its current mutation is extremely contagious as well.

I have quite a large family, know many people inside and outside of work. I still cannot think of one person I know who’s gotten sick from Covid. Maybe that’s because I’m based in Kentucky, but still. I’m sure there are many like me who are tired of all the panic and just want to live their normal lives.

15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Community spread. 25 to 30 percent of the cases in Miami Dade. This is what happens when things are wide open. Long delays in getting test results, too. The mayors here have urged people to wear Masks at home. Lots of spread here where people bring the virus home.

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I know plenty of people who have been infected. 3 on ventilators, one who whom died.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    I love Miami. Perhaps my favorite city in the US. It’s a shame folks aren’t taking it more seriously if it is centralized there like that. I’m sure the heat and humidity don’t encourage mask wearing. Shame. Wear a damn mask, it’s not that hard.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually the number for Dade have been getting better for the last two to three weeks. the seven day average is very encouraging.

19. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I just looked at a Facebook page for st george island and someone asked if everyone was wearing masks. The answer was no. Estimates ranged from rare to 25 percent.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    We've been screaming for just as long that this was going to happen; repeatedly warning what the consequences and repercussions would be if we continued on this path.

• Winner Winner x 1