Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cord cutting: A beginner's guide

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by LakeGator, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Its on YouTube TV.

Just cut the cord already. Trust me on this, if I can do it, anyone can. Had cable and satellite for years, tried netflix for $10 and hulu for $5. Worried about football is whyi never switched.

Saw an ad for YouTube TV, checked out the channels, and wow. I now have more tv than I could watch if I retired and stayed home all day. Costs me about $90 a month for all of that, but it was $190. I can probably trim down the online streaming stuff.

Now, I am not a tech geek so when people start talking firestick, roku, and such, I didnt know anything about it. I boughta rku box and thought it would get a channel called roku and that is what you would watch. It is a connection to a bunch of streaming services and connects to he internet. Its awesome. Just do it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. nlmrod

nlmrod VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have not been able to consider cutting the cord for years due to poor internet. Ive been buying 2Mb of bandwidth for years from a distant DSlam. I just signed up for Verizon LTE wireless internet fully expecting it not to function. I was shocked my speeds jumped to 45-50 Mb down and 3.5 Mb up. Waiting on Amazon Firestick as I type this. My TV is smart and large but about 5 years old with no meaningful streaming apps.

I am soaking up all the current info I can as cord cutting is about to begin. The Directv is about to get axed.

Questions or comments: What happens with Directv? Do they send a crew to gather all the equipment when you unsubscribe? I am strongly considering YoutubeTV due to the large channel selection and ability to buy premium. About the closest thing I saw to Directv at about a third of the price. Any suggestions or traps I need to avoid? We mostly watch sports, news, premium movie channels, and a lot of streaming like Amazon Prime.

Jim

3. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    The normal approach with the satellite providers is that a contractor brings the equipment and installs it. Their skills and competence seems to vary so it is wise to monitor them to make sure your home is not damaged. I don't believe they ever retrieve the actual ugly dish off your house. I believe they send you a prepaid box to return the other equipment but this probably varies.

I like YouTube TV, especially for sports. I love that I can tell it to record all college football games. The really great feature is that I can then go to the recorded, or recording, game and use the "Watch key plays" to see the plays that some intern thought were key. It is a great way to see the 38 seconds of action in a 3 hour game.

I suggest you subscribe to the cord cutters newsletter mentioned at the start of the thread.

The various 'services' are doing their best to make cord cutting more expensive as people abandon 'cable' but it is still better than being a victim of those companies.

4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  5. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Do the streaming services care where you are? Currently paying for two services as my wife is in another city for half of each week. Still would have to pay for two internet access and hopefully don’t go over the 1tb limit?

6. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    In general, the streaming services seem happy to allow you to be in different places. I have read that some of the services are cracking down on password sharing but most, like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon have profiles that allow you to have a small number of members share your subscription. I know my wife uses all three of those services I have listed when she has left me to visit her family. She seems to always come back - so far. :)

I am not sure about the 1tb limit. The only limits of which I am aware are set by some Internet providers. The streaming companies are more than happy to spew bits your way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  8. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021