Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

CONGRATS TRE!!!

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 29, 2021.

1. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011

Another negative recruiting pitch could be the fact that he had 2 players drafted and a big man that could get drafted, and still couldn’t get out of the 1st weekend of the tourney, losing to mighty Oral Robert’s.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    The same Oral Robert’s that beat #2 seeded Ohio State and only lost 72-70 to #3 Arkansas? That was a good team that got very hot in the post season.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    He did not have KJ when we lost to OR.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mike White might very well be a wonderful person. I have no reason to believe otherwise. There are plenty of wonderful people out there who can't coach. What I don't understand is the loyalty that many of you have to a coach who has turned the Gator program from a top-5 program over an almost 20-year period into a top-40 program. I cannot think of any aspect of coaching that our coach is good at. The bottom seems to be dropping out of high school recruiting. Almost no one who comes into the program develops into a substantially better player. The defense is overly passive. The offense has become one of standing around and waiting for the ball to come to you while some ball-dominant player dribbles around trying to make a play. The bench players don't have a clue as to what their role is. The games are painful to watch. This is coming from someone who has been a Gator fan since 1972, has been to over 500 games in Gainesville, has traveled around Florida and the south watching other Gator games, has been to a few hundred high school games to watch Gator recruits, etc. As to Scottie Lewis, the kid came to Florida as probably the most athletic high school senior in the country. He also was the best player on a team that was, I believe, 9th ranked in the country and the winner of the NJ state championship. The kid was a solid outside shooter, a tremendous straight line driver and scorer, a good passer and a terrific defender, as well as having great leadership skills. What a great package to be built upon with the right coaching. He might now get that coaching, but he didn't get it at UF. So, criticize me if you want about my ragging on Mike White, but the more relevant criticism should be of those of you who are content with being a top-40 team (maybe), not competing for the SEC title or Final Fours, squeaking into the NCAA tournament and not making it out of the first weekend of the tournament.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You might have missed it, but our best player had a freak medical event on court last season. Nembhard also left, a player who could have made us championship material with KJ and Mann. Our coach rallied an undermanned roster through a devastating emotional crisis, and several team COVID-19 quarantines to turn our season into a respectable winning season and tournament appearance. We were within spitting distance of the Sweet Sixteen.

Scottie Lewis did not mentally prepare himself for the season. As a lifelong scrub basketball player, I can tell you that he was playing scared. That ain’t the coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    As an avid BB fan myself, (Gator BB that is) I hope to catch our Gators in Brooklyn this year.

Regarding Tampa's comments, difficult to contest the points you bring. I have been slipping and am considering joining Tampa on the dark side in an Imperial Cruiser.

Then I read our great poster murphee hall and say: Shame on You Head!

So here's what I'm gonna do: Sit back, see how the season plays and then post for either Tampa or murphee when it's all said and done.

I will add this proviso: I really hope I'm on murphee's side because I do believe CMW is of the highest character and I am pulling for him.

OUT

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Didn't some poster say that Ques Glover should have been the starting PG last year instead of Tre Mann?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    My criticism doesn't come about because of you finding fault with White, it comes about because of the redundancy of it. It's like you're stuck in one gear and can't get out of it. We have other topics on the team ongoing and your knowledge would be appreciated on them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    let's get back to the topic at hand and congratulate both Tre and Scottie. Very happy for both of them and will be watching them closely. Both have accomplished more than any of us have, so who are we to say what it takes to make it in the NBA. It ain't easy, there's a lot of talent out there - globally. We should be proud of them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I hear that Sean Miller is motivated. Maybe we can make him a strong-ass offer, or something to that effect.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Hall:

Hall, I am guessing that I speak out on more hoops topics than just about everyone else on this board. Most of them are responses to other people's posts. Unfortunately, many of them do lead back to Mike White. In particular, I am a big supporter of our players. Inevitably, many of our posters bash the kids who leave our program or who don't get playing time. The bashing of Scottie Lewis is one example. He should have played another sport. He doesn't work hard. He thinks he's better than everyone else. He doesn't high five his teammates. He talks too much. He plays scared. He was never a shooter. He averaged 8 points a game in high school. His high school team never played any good teams. On and on and on. I do the research on this junk, and I offer my opinions in response. Often, for me nowadays, it comes down to the kid having chosen the wrong program. So, I could hold my tongue when I read what I consider to be misstatements and misinformation or I can respond. By the way, I am seriously considering shifting my focus away from Gator basketball and towards Gator swimming. I don't have a negative thought about the Gator swim coaches.

12. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

While I appreciate the detailed reply I don't see where it addresses my contention that there are other topics on the bb boards you could reply to. MW is our coach this season and there is a really good chance he'll be here the next season too.

You don't care for his coaching and that's more than evident but there are other things (like the players) to talk about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You're missing my point from my prior post. I have been talking about a ton of topics. I posted a lot about Scottie Lewis, including his workout and follow-up interview with Toronto. I also pointed out that he could get taken in the bottom of the draft (which he did), but if not, that a bunch of teams would like to sign him. I separately researched and posted about Tre Mann's NBA plusses and minuses and that he could go in the 2nd half of the 1st round (which he did) or slip into the 2nd round. I researched and posted about Kowacie Reeves' high school performance, including that he only shot around 32% from the 3-point line. I have posted about Jitoboh's situation. I have posted about how the other SEC schools have upgraded their rosters. I provided detailed data on how former Gators are doing at their other schools. I provide more info about Chiozza than anyone else on these boards. I posted about Kofi Cockburn's final choices, including that Kentucky was out of the picture and FSU was in the picture. I have talked about Andrew Nembhard transferring to Gonzaga and going back to the style of play that he had at Montverde. I have talked in depth about the Gator's offense, defense, use of bench, and recruiting. If I go back in time a little, I reported when Cade Cunningham and Scottie Barnes were high school juniors that Cade was the best high school player in the country regardless of class and that Scottie Barnes was close behind him. I did that when Cade was the 10th ranked player in the junior class. I also reported about how good Keyontae was while he was still at Oak Hill and that we should go after him. That's when most people on here wanted us to sign Khavon Moore. I could go on and on, but you should get the drift.

14. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just for fun, I went back through your recent posts, first posts in a thread. A good percentage of them, IMO, pretty quickly turn to taking a shot at CMW. There's a lot of valuable info in there. But it feels -- again, IMO -- that the axe regularly needs grinding.

Take it as you will. This part of your posts drive me crazy, but the valuable parts are too useful for me to click "Ignore." Even if my mouse has hovered over the link on more than one occasion. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t remember starting many threads in the last few months other than maybe posting a Chris Harry article. Are you talking about my first reply to someone else’s thread?

16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I said that about Scottie Lewis, and I stand behind that statement because he did in fact play timidly and scared. I also said that I wish him nothing but success, I am happy for him, he has a lot of potential, and that I think he has all the tools once he gets his mind right. Also said, we may see a dramatic improvement from him once the he sees the light.

That is not bashing him.

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re comment was part of a composite of many derogatory comments that stuck in my head. I understand that you weren’t trying to bash him. However, I disagree with you. I think that Scottie simply is not a ball-hogging, dribble-driving, street-balling, one-on-one player. He doesn’t keep the ball in his hands for very long. Put him on the 2006 and 2007 Gator teams in place of Corey Brewer and he would have been great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, first reply, sorry for being unclear.

19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    There’s a huge difference between playing too passively and hot dogging/ball-hogging. It’s not like you can only be one or the other. Also, let’s be clear... I have said much more positive things about Scottie than negative. My real criticism from him comes from any notion that he was given a raw deal or that the system made him ineffective. No, he had the opportunity, but did not seize upon it. The guy was in the starting lineup and getting heavy minutes. What more could he ask for? His benching was due to lack of production.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    There is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that Lewis was dramatically affected by the system. I am not even blaming White here. This system did not work for Lewis. He is a full court defensive player. He is a guy who gets out and runs on the fast break. He is a slasher. He can hit the open shot. He is a pretty good passer. For better or worse, there were 3 ball dominant players on this team in Castleton, Appleby and Mann. This was not the type of offense in which the ball would go inside to a Horford or Noah and come flying back out to a wing for a wide-open step-in jump shot. Lewis would have flourished at a bunch of other schools. Maybe the new guys will fit better into White's offensive system.