Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congrats to our new Gators

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swampbabe, Feb 28, 2020.

1. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Congrats to your boy and here's to a few (but not too many) distractions coming his way next year

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Nothing now like it was when I was there in the late 80's and Playboy was ranking us the #1 party school in the country. I graduated but my degree should say Purple Porpoise on it instead of UF Finance.. lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    The legislature mandates a minimum percentage of Florida residents to be accepted. It could be a higher percentage of out-of state students who actually attend, but that’s outside anyone’s control.

As to the legacy issue, the SUS schools are expected to have student bodies that reflect the state’s population. Admission based on legacy means the student body reflects the population of 20 or more years ago, not today. Also what is the priority? If someone’s grandfather graduated from UF, but their parents didn’t, do they have priority over someone who had parents graduated from here. Does someone with two alumni parents get a preference over someone with? It’s more efficient and equitable to not consider “legacy.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    not only that, but why should a kid be penalized because his parents didn’t go to UF? Entry should be based on the merit of the kid alone.
    And yes I realize the flip side of this argument, as I was waiting to hear for my relative yesterday I was already preparing my anger and hurt if they didn’t get in. how dare they keep this one out after all we have given back as a UF family etc. thankfully the sixth one got in yesterday too, but I get the anger.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I would say if it came down to two kids with equal qualifications the legacy should matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    it’s a public school and kids do (and should) earn their own spots, who raised them Shouldn’t matter. Anything else isn’t fair to the kids.
    If it’s truly a tie, I would argue the kid from the poorer background of the 2 should go. Someone with more advantages like paid tutoring, flying around the country to debate camps, specialized SAT training etc who can only draw the tie is actually the less deserving one imo.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Then why did they waste their time giving me out of state son a scholarship so he only had to pay instate tuition?

8. gcger520

gcger520 Recruit

Jun 27, 2019
    I won’t send this to “Too Hot”, but time for blinders to be put on applications. One of his black classmates got accepted with a 1200 SAT and 3.9 GPA. Reverse discrimination is alive and well! My son also plays football, baseball, NHS and involved with so many organizations and charitable organizations my head spins. He made plans for Sante Fe and will be a Gator regardless, but as he put it, I’d like to see my effort in high school meant something. The system is broken.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. AuldG8R

AuldG8R All American

Dec 11, 2007
    My daughter is in!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I’m throwing the BS flag on this, sorry. If everything you wrote was true, he’s in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Does the high school factor into their decision at all? As in some students tend do well at UF from certain schools?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

My diploma should have a gold Rathskellar sticker on it - right next to the one that says “With Honors”

Go figure......

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. bogator

bogator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    The high school they attended does matter. The success of students from that school affects how many they let in from that school. It’s a pretty complicated evaluation system. My two sons are students there now, and when the oldest was applying I talked to a guidance counselor about the process, it was pretty enlightening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    In addition, some schools/districts are notorious grade inflators. A profile sheet from the school goes into the transcript that includes demographic and achievement data for that particular school.

15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There are schools that limit the number of students accepted from a high school. Don't know if that's the case at UF

16. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    I had better SAT/ACT scores and grades than my sister who got in while I did not. She had a ton of activities and volunteer work though.

No big deal since I eventually transferred to UF

17. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    We didn't push UF on our kids at all. Left it up to them and their counselor. (They're twins so they had the same dean) He discouraged us because of the admission standards for non Florida residents. She probably would have gotten in, 4.6, high 1300s, low 30s. He would not have with a 3.2 (special ed), 1510, 35. My youngest niece got in for the current freshman year. Having a great time and doing well in school. Hoping her little brother heads down there in three more years. Gator through and through but might want to follow in his father's footsteps to West Point.

18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes. They re-calculate their GPAs based on data from students previously admitted to UF from those schools.

• Like Like x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    There are several kids I know that were accepted to both UF and Michigan. Will be interesting decisions. Michigan is $220,000 for an undergrad. UF with Bright Futures funding is just the cost of housing and meals for 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Yeah, my nephew that got in had the bright futures funding bonus.

I know some schools are utilizing some crazy criteria these days. I'm not suggesting UF is, but it sure has gotten selective. I have some friends who's grandparents donated the library to SC and they had trouble getting their kid in. It'll only get harder at UF If the president expects to get to a Number 5 public University ranking. The UCLA school of medicine and hospital is a significantly more advanced and reputable operation based on my experience. I mean a different universe. The highest ranked college at UF I could find was Biomedical engineering-it was tied with a bucket load of other schools at #3.

Florida has made leaps and bounds in it's rankings-but I always feel bad when kids don't get in.

Out here if you have trouble getting into your dream school. Go to Jr. College, get good grades , transfer into Cal, UCLA, wherever, they almost have to accept you.

Go Gators. Go UF!