Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Congestive Heart Failure

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorfan5220, Nov 3, 2019.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just released from 5 day stay in hospital with this. My legs were swollen to twice their normal size below the knees and my lungs were 60% full of fluid.

Heart rate was 125.

Went to cardiologist who immediately admitted me and did a cardiac catheterization. I still need to have an ablation done.

Has anyone been through this?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I'm sorry you are going through this gatorfan. Not there, but my body is failing in that direction. My lower legs are grotesquely swollen and daily double doses of diuretics haven't made a dent. Lungs are clear but a heart murmur is more pronounced. Heart rate is in the mid to upper 80's. My oncologist wants me to have another echocardiogram (had one in April) and has ordered another PET scan to check out my right kidney which was compromised by the tumor that was pressing against it last spring. Its function is about 50%. BNP level is half step below level for CHF diagnosis.

What treatments did you have on your legs while you were hospitalized? Did they remove all the fluid while you were in there? My curiosity is not idle...

I pray you continue to improve. Quality of life is diminished but people can and do live with CHF for extended periods. My mother was diagnosed with CHF 8 years before she died from pneumonia at age 88.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    we should start a club, my next echo is Monday no chf but as a continued follow up on my quad by pass years ago and the stint I got a year ago. my only advice to to find a cardio doc you trust and listen carefully then follow directives, it has worked for me so far.... hope you both have a satisfactory result.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I had ablation to correct AFIB last year

• Like Like x 1
  5. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I had six bypasses in 1999. Last fall I had surgery to open up my right carotid artery-my left is 100% blocked and inoperable. This year I had a stint put in one of my bypasses and they found another artery that is 100% blocked and could not be fixed. I retired at 68 on May 3rd.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would love to hear about some of the warning signs. I'm 50 and feel perfectly healthy but it runs in my family. One of my daughter's friends - who looks like the gem of health - almost died from a 'widowmaker' in June. You just never know.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    unsolicited advice, don't wait for warning signs get your GP/Internest/Primary Doc to refer you to a cardio Doc and have a complete work up

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I'm not a cardiologist- just play one on the 'Net. ;) I do know there a number of different ailments of the heart and CHF is not the same as what brings on a widow maker. CHF usually comes on more slowly, with increasing fatigue, shortness of breath brought on by increasingly diminished cardiac capacity, fluid buildup in lungs and legs, as discussed above. The inefficient heart is unable to power the body's function to remove it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    for me it was shortness of breadth running up 3 flights of stairs every morning. Didn't occur to me that it had anything to do with my heart, figured I was just out of shape. I casually mentioned this to my doctor and he too suggested that i'm probably not in as good a shape as I think. And given that my blood work has always been good, its probably nothing. But since I was over 50 and never had a stress test, he scheduled me for one the next day. I failed the test. And the day after that I was at hopkins in the catheterization lab for stents. What they found was more blockages then expected so they didnt bother with stents and ended up having a triple bypass 2 days later.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sometimes there aren't any warning signs at all. In 2007 I had a serious heart attack (complete blockage of the left anterior descending artery (LAD)), referred to as the "widow maker". Didn't realize how serious it was at the time. I had my son drive me to the ER and was in the cath lab within 45 minutes. Ended up with three stents in the artery. Had two more stents in the right coronary artery eight years later. I had no symptoms prior to the heart attack. I routinely took look long bike rides and walked up nine flights of stairs from the parking garage to my office and visited the gym on a regular basis. Never had any chest pain or shortness of breath. My total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides were all within the normal range prior to the MI (thanks to statins the numbers are all much lower now). Immediately prior to the second incident (not a full blown MI) I did experience some shortness breath and minor chest pains. Catheterization indicated that the right coronary artery had a 90% blockage. Since then I haven't had any problems. Passed a stress test 8 weeks after the 2015 incident with flying colors (fitness level was normal for a man 10 years younger and I probably could have kept going longer were it not for knee pain).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A positive of them going into my heart and looking around (bleach, I cringe as I type that. I have a weak stomach for this stuff.) is they told me I had very little buildup in my arteries. Was told I had the normal amount for a 70 year old.
    My dad was a butcher and we always had plenty meat on the table. I continued my meat intake all my adult life and was concerned about plaque building up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your troubles gatorfan.
    Prior to your issues did you walk or exercise much?
    Would you consider yourself overweight and/or sedentary?
    If your 70 years old I completely understand if you're unable to do so.

13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    My doc friend told me that there are people with horrible cholesterol levels, but that have next to no blockage & there are people with great cholesterol levels with lots of blockage. He recommends that you have an ultrasound of your neck arteries and a CT scan for heart valves. I did both this summer & am now on a cholesterol drug. So, regardless of blood test, I'd push for these tests. (my ins did not cover the CT scan, but it was only $200 & it found some blockage in my widowmaker)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I was 48 years old, did not smoke or drink, 6'1" and weighed about 170 lbs. I was working in my yard and that night I had some chest pains and throbbing in my left arm. I went to my family doctor the next day and he set me up with a cardiologist. The next day I had a heart cath and they found 2 100% blocked arteries, 2 90% blocked and 2 70% blocked. I did not have a heart attack, but I believe I would not be here if I had not gone to my doctor to be checked out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1