Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Confident Franks transitioning to leadership role (Sun Report)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Mar 15, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Confident Franks transitioning to leadership role
    Gvl Sun By Graham Hall
    “I just try to play my part. Definitely try to lead people in the right direction,” Franks said. “I’ve always tried to be level-headed, even when things are not going my way.”
    With much to prove last season, Franks struggled early despite showing signs of promise, leading coach Dan Mullen to consistently evaluate the quarterback room. However, during a critical stretch in early November, with a third consecutive loss looking likely, Franks — and Florida’s offense as a whole — turned a corner.
    Ever since, it feels as if the Gators have yet to slow down.
    “I think it was a turning point for our whole team. Just the momentum that we brought into that game, coming back from that big deficit, having that turning point and being able to get that momentum going into the next couple games and just finish out the season the right way, I think it just helped us, all those games just helped us with the momentum coming into this offseason,” Franks said. “Guys coming in with more confidence. It all plays a big role into a player’s development.”
    Confident Franks transitioning to leadership role - GatorSports.com

Photos: Florida Gators Open Second Practice of Spring

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It's unfortunate that the author doesn't provide more information on what game Franks is talking about with this quote: “I think it was a turning point for our whole team. Just the momentum that we brought into that game, coming back from that big deficit,. . . . "

It was the game against USCe and it was a huge comeback for our Gators - 21 unanswered points to win by 4. I was at that game in The Swamp and was thinking early on that we were on our way to losing our 3rd in a row, which likely would have sunk the season. The comeback in the 2nd half was a wonderful thing to experience being there.

Go Gators

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    One practice report I saw yesterday said Franks has been throwing nothing but dimes. Every clip I've seen of him so far is him throwing a more catchable ball. The opposite of that Missouri game when everything was a high heater. He's looking like The Guy right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    That clip shows Franks dropping it right where he needed to while stepping up and navigating thru some traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Last year he sails that one high. Not sure if it played into, but he also spotted the mismatch of Reese in coverage of Krull.

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Krull’s got some range doesn’t he?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Don't know how much the practice video clips are a representative sample, but it does appear Krull is becoming Frank's favorite target. They've hooked up quite a bit. And not TE stick routes but the deeper stuff, seams and deep crossers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    However, during a critical stretch in early November, with a third consecutive loss looking likely, Franks — and Florida’s offense as a whole — turned a corner.
    Ever since, it feels as if the Gators have yet to slow down.

the only threat of a 3 game losing streak last year was following losses to UGA & Mizzou facing USC

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton

• Like Like x 1
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great to see and hear. Looks like he's going to take the reigns for year 2. EJ probably gives the offense a more explosive upside, but it's likely better for the team overall if FF steps up his play and gets a stranglehold on the starting spot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Pensacola
    Call me crazy but I would not be surprised Franks ends his tenure at UF as a first round draft pick in the NFL. CDM is a bona fide quarterback whisper and obviously sees great potential in Franks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I'll take that play all day.

But I wonder if Frank's was slow on the read? Should franks be setting and releasing when he finishes his drop? Rather than sliding left and throwing off balance, it appears krull had his man beat much earlier. I'm probably nitpicking though.

13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    One thing I noticed right off the bat.

Franks' chin beard is more confident.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Said a long time ago that I thought if Mullen continued to develop Franks properly that he'd be hard to beat out as starter in 2019. Got laughed at for that comment by a lot of my fellow Gators here too...

Franks has shown such tremendous potential, and imo, with the proper coaching and development, just imagine how scary good he could be with that powerful arm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Legend

Nov 11, 2014
    OK, you're crazy, recon. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. gatorwilly

gatorwilly Sophomore

Feb 7, 2010
    stuart,fl
    Thank coach Savage.. The Gators played four quarters last year.. Not 2.5 to 3 before being gassed.. WW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    USCe...

18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Not from me. I've always felt like Franks has more raw skills to play in Mullen's offense than anybody else on the roster. His problem has always been lack of confidence and I think that was from really poor QB coaches under McElwain. We saw him start to gain the understanding and confidence last year. This year I think he'll be one of the very best QBs in the conference.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I know - I was at the game - just saying the author should have said more about that game which really was the big turning point for our team

20. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    Probably just repaying Krull for the pass he threw to him last year :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1