Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Confidence in science

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 20, 2021.

1. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    What is science? (berkeley.edu)

From the link:
    • Science is both a body of knowledge and a process. In school, science may sometimes seem like a collection of isolated and static facts listed in a textbook, but that's only a small part of the story. Just as importantly, science is also a process of discovery that allows us to link isolated facts into coherent and comprehensive understandings of the natural world.
    It's not static. It is a process of learning. To take a single instance in time and claim that as fact and not a part of the growth process is disingenuous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I know that guy. That guy is a prick! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. tilly

Remember the debate here isn't right or wrong. It is "confidence". The lack of confidence likely comes from bad actors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I know this is off topic, but I agree unions can be problematic, none more so nowadays than police unions. Unions eventually forget their original briefs and venture into areas they ought not to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Whoa, Tilly!!

6. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I have confidence in science just not in the scientists. I heard Travis Taylor speak once about one of his grad school professors refusing to answer certain questions because the correct answers could cost the University grant money.

Ok I know Travis Taylor is a bit of a goofball but he has more science & engineering degrees than a thermometer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The CDC cited all of the available studies back then. Experiences in Israel and elsewhere. It was not @gator95 who has the luxury of cherry picking studies and citing them out of context. I. Fact, I recall posting what the CDC cited back then, and the discussion with you devolved. So, let’s tell that truth about what the CDC cited. Let’s not present an argument that it ignored studies and made only a political decision. I am not going back to try to find the CDCs analysis, which is posted somewhere in one of the multiple threads in schools.

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Sure, lets go over the CDC not using the 2 biggest studies on schools and covid in their recommendations. I'm all for it. I do like the "cherry picking" part. Makes it seem like what i'm saying isn't really true. Good effort.

• Like Like x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    @OklahomaGator completely missed my joke about "The Thread" in the thread in the Den calling attention to the Olympics thread in Swamp Gas.

Or, it wasn't funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The CDC did not ignore the studies you keep relying on. The CDC cited them. The CDC cited 26 studies in its assessment. And, JAMA also published an assessment.

Here is the post in February. I linked the CDC assessment, but it is no longer accessible. But, the JAMA analysis is.

So, there are falsehoods in your posts. The first is that the CDC guidance was the result of pressure from the teachers unions. The second is that the CDC guidance was not science based. And, the third is that it ignored the studies you cherry picked

Next time you want to discuss what the CDC relied on, try the truth.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. Keep trying to make it seem like the CDC wasn't in the tank with the Teacher's unions. Good effort. I mean it's not like the CDC didn't have 30+ states data of having in person schooling for half a year to look at...

IF there was increases in cases at schools above community spread, there would be data point after data point showing that. BUT, what everyone knows is there was no major difference. It became a money grab and that's it. You keep your head in the sand and think the CDC is always on the up and up.

Just like they told us the truth on masks... Just a little white lie...

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...in-schools-taking-safety-precautions-us-study

Study: In-school transmission of SARS-CoV-2 rare in schools implementing safety measures

"While there had been some evidence of in-school transmission, "the preponderance of available evidence from the fall school semester has been reassuring," the researchers said in an opinion piece on the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Network. (In-Person Education and the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 Infection)

"As many schools have reopened for in-person instruction in some parts of the U.S. as well as internationally, school-related cases of COVID-19 have been reported, but there has been little evidence that schools have contributed meaningfully to increased community transmission," the CDC said."

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You claimed that the CDC guidance was not science based. That was false. Quoting a part of the JAMA study doesn’t change that. All it does is show the science based assessments that were relied on in the CDC guidance. And, please stick to the subject. Which was CDC guidance about schools. Not masks. You would make an awful appellate lawyer because if a disturbing tendency to change the subject and not answer questions. Also, try reading threads and links posted. The quote from my earlier post included the JAMA study as a primary source. It also had the CDC link, which is now down. The North Carolina study you linked is one study. It is unscientific to wholly rely on one study and disregard the body of all evidence. That is acting with an agenda. Really, it is exactly what you accuse the CDC of doing.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. tilly

I can say that. I am the guy that moved it. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Haha! So "prick" is allowed. You realize we're getting into George Carlin territory.

15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. Anyone thinking the CDC guidance wasn't influenced by the Teachers unions is either very naive or ignorant. There is zero doubt of that. The CDC has deservedly lost the faith of a sizeable portion of the US for their mishandling of the Covid pandemic from the get go. The facts are the CDC put wording in their guidance almost verbatim from the Teacher's union. That's not science. But hey, some people will believe anything they are told I guess.

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    [QUOTE="gator95, post: But hey, some people will believe anything they are told I guess.[/QUOTE]
    Res Ipsa Locquitor.