Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Confidence in science

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 20, 2021.

1. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    and possibly the root of all evil...yet we protect citizen rights to remain ignorant of truth and facts. Fortunately, hope for a better outcome remains as a majority support science and truth.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’m sure that explains conservatives’ distrust of it.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Seems like you're implying that the question meant, "How much confidence do you have in scienTISTS?". Which could also be stated, "How much confidence do you have in people?"

It's a pretty junk polling question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Science is by and large a means. To that extent I distrust it. But in terms of understanding the world around us, there’s no other means.

6. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You don’t understand the difference between “I’m going to adhere to this position no matter what” and “I’m going to adapt as my knowledge increases or changes”.

7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Both sides are swayed but "science" not just the Pubs.

As always the source needs to be considered.

Trouble is science rarely has the right answers early on and people love to point out the errors in that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You don't understand "taking the advice from the Teacher's union over the facts"? The CDC was totally caught with their pants down on that issue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. I do know some quarters haven’t liked the CDC or Fauci from the get-go on purely political grounds.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Science is not expected to always have the answers “early on”. There’s a whole scientific process/method. Constant learning, experimenting, challenging results.

Perhaps this just exposes a fundamental ignorance about what the scientific process actually
    is?

It also isn’t surprising that a segment of the population that settles for “because god” as the answer to lots of questions, doesn’t want to hear about something that might result in alternate explanations. Although up to recently the gap wasn’t that wide on political lines, so something else (Trump lies) obviously had an outsized impact on these people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I would quibble that the arts offer rich means for understanding the world around us, whether man-made, or matters of natural beauty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Science isnt bad or good. Its uses can be bad or good. Golden rice could end malnutrition in Asia, lab grown meat could end the need to raise and slaughter cows. Monsanto's paid scientists to make them more profitable.

13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Powerful teachers union influenced CDC on school reopenings, emails show

I had no pre-conceived notions on the CDC or Fauci before last year. Zero political issue for me. I'm one who has never voted for Trump. So not political for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I would submit that it is not distrust of science itself, that undermines conservatives' "confidence in science"--rather it is a matter of being skeptical about the conclusions and worse still, solutions, promoted by so many transparently agenda driven entities and individuals, in the name of science. Science is a pursuit of the truth of the mechanics of our world and universe--it does not belong to the loudest voices, simply because it is more lucrative to yield liberal-friendly 'science based results'. It is hence the taint of whore science, that obscures true science. Consequently, this purported reduced confidence isn't actually in science, but in its susceptibility to perversion, purchase, and use for political agendas, that questions the veracity of proponents hiding behind the flag of science--not science itself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You don't think this has anything to do with the politics of Republicans as they dismiss what the scientists are finding - whether it's climate change or the need for masks to prevent the spread of covid?

16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, as a Republican I don't dismiss scientists unless there is a valid reason. And the flip/flop on masking was a joke. They lied to the public. They think their reasoning was valid, but they lied. Then the CDC decided to have the Teachers union get in on the act of advising on whether schools are safe to reopen(even though there was ample evidence showing they were).

• Like Like x 1
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That may be a good way to put it. I think they go hand in hand however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Anything? Sure some of that comes in to play. But when a multitude of voices chimes in, in the name of science, and declares that the world is going to explode into a ball of fire, and floods, and the surface fitt'n be hotter than the sun, yadda yadda yadda, 10 years from now, and therefore all freedom must be suspended, that holy government may come to the rescue--and 20-30 years pass by, and here we are (thank God we didn't listen....)...

....kinda' causes one to wonder how much those assholes got paid to try and scare us into totalitarianism?

...and why the hell should we believe the next asshole talking shit about suspending our freedom, and empowering government en toto???

Boy who cried wolf, general credibility, a little street smarts, red flags galore...all these things come in to play.

...and it doesn't mean that folks therefore deny gravity, or proclaim the world to be flat, or otherwise deny science--it means we recognize that even *science*, can be manipulated to yield targeted results, and such manipulation results in a loss of confidence in the manipulators--who then seek to turn that into:

"...they don't believe in science!"

Nah. We just don't believe in you.

C'est la vie.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Do you really think utilizing exaggerating claims as part of an argument that people are exaggerating those same claims and then proving wrong your own exaggerated claims is a proper system by which to evaluate the success of a scientific theory?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Some of us are old enough to remember the largely GOP environmental groups, Ducks unlimited and salt water groups ;) everything was so polluted you couldn’t et nothing you killed.

I guess the damn science allowed the dems to infiltrated and overthrow those now