Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Confidence in science

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 20, 2021.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Trust/confidence is science was discussed on one of the Covid threads. And, by coincidence, this Gallup poll came out a few days ago. What it shows is widening split by political party.
    In 1975, 67 percent of Democrats and 72 percent of Republicans said they had confidence in science.
    This year, 2021, 79 percent of Democrats had confidence while only 46 percent of Republicans said they did.
    Independents' confidence also dropped but not nearly as much.

Democratic, Republican Confidence in Science Diverges

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So, a whole lot of people who don't understand jack-squat.....but will claim trust or not-trust along political lines.

Pretty stunning how scientifically illiterate Americans are.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    'Science' is an institution? And what does 'confidence' in it entail?

Anyways, ask stupid questions get stupid answers. Given how "science" has been thrown around in the culture wars seems like people know how to answer, and so the answers are extremely predictable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s kind of the same as the “divergence” we saw on how people viewed the economy when Obama was President. The Dems followed along with the steady economic recovery, conservatives polled basically thought we had the “worst economy ever” until it miraculously turned the second Trump was elected.

Conservative media has been hammering anti-science propaganda for years now (first misleading on climate change, then COVID). Just shows how easily manipulated some are by media messaging. It effects their perception of reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As these same ignoramuses proceed to use "science" based devices to whine about science. If they truly feel that way, go back to walking everywhere and being hunter/gatherers, and perhaps living to the ripe old age of about 30.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Epistemology fail

7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah I’m not sure how I’d even answer that question.

But at this point, the teams have chosen their sides, where democrats are pro-“science” and republicans anti-“science”, so this is how I’d expect them to answer this question. I’d also expect this answer not to be a great predictor of behavior when they read a news article about science.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, I'm guessing the people who express low confidence in "science" arent skipping their doctor's appointments or throwing away their pills either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

"Science" is a broad term.
    I mean on one hand science cures terrible diseases.
    ...on another hand "science" creates foods in labs that are geared to our wants and not our needs just for greed.

I assume for many, confidence in science is not based on it's potential. It is based on it's application.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think it's goes right along with the anti-media onslaught that's come from the right and rightwing media. Basically, it's gives an excuse to believe what you want about everything. All facts can be dismissed if you'd rather not believe them.
    That's continued right through the 2020 election.

Does anyone really think that science as a discipline changed that much in the last 50 years, in terms of whether it can be trusted?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Science is an abstract.

What you are referring to is commercial product development. Which can use science in the abstract, but is not itself “science”. The fact that profit motive sometimes overrides health and safety is not a pitfall of “science”, has more to do with greed/human nature than anything.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Or turning off their TV nor throwing away their iPhones.

This is more of a sub-category that is part of anti-intellectualism, or whatever one wants to call it, borne out of the AGW debate is my guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Expected results with the modern regressive Q Republicans. A little disappointing with Independents though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah - I was expecting independents to have higher "belief" - as rational thought leads one to not be a part of either US political party.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tilly

Of course. My point is when asking such a broad question, people will consider the broad use of the term in their answer.
    My guess is if you asked Americans "Has science made your life better?" You would get a near 100% yes from every sector.
    "Confidence" is a broad term.

Monsanto employs a lot of "scientists".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Pretty simple for me, Science is based on the SCIENTIFIC METHOD,
    experiment, record results, repeat.

You get enough "repeats" you have a standard or scientific law.

Easy concept to grasp is it not?

Then you have the OTHER side that suggest ancient religious texts have all the answers, or "my mama and daddy" told me it was this way, so it must be so.
    Or worse yet a political ideologue that will twist every piece of information or causality into a repeated dialogue of lies and misinformation.

Great examples:

Negroes are "better off" on the plantation
    Indians / Aborigines are not "people"
    Jews are the cause of all our problems
    Germany did not lose the first WW
    Biden stole the Election

I'm sticking to science, not superstition and not neo fascist propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. tilly

I respectfully disagree EG. I think many actors within the science community have sold their souls and that hurts confidence. Note the question is not, "Do you believe in science". The question is, "How much confidence?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. tilly

In a perfect world all this would be true. (Though I contend that the actual intent of the Scriptures was not to be scientific and that they actuall coexist with science quite well).
    The issue is that robots are not performing experiments, but humans are. Humans that just like all of us are capable of being bought or swayed.
    That will always harm confidence.

When we see the FDA in the United States, allowing additives in our foods (thanks lobbyists :mad:) that most of the rest of the world has banned, then we will have a drop in confidence.

I keep using the food example because it is one that I pay pretty close attention to. We all probably have other examples.

So when one part of the scientific community is viewed as being untrustworthy, then that opens the door to others.
    Lets be honest, even in the anti-vax crown (pre-covid for the sake of this discussion) there has been a pretty good group that have had their confidence hurt by "science" caving to greed in other areas.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I don't get why people don't trust the CDC... I mean they would never lie to the American people, right? It's not like the CDC was unduly influenced by the Teachers unions...

And let's not even talk about the masking flip/flop issues from last year. And people wonder why some citizens don't trust some of our "scientists".

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Science is a discipline. "Scientists" are supposed to embrace the ideals of science, which is to root out voodoo. Nothing wrong with science.

Unfortunately, what we now have is this "profession" known as science and it HAS sold itself to convenience and a stable paycheck with a few self congratulating members of elite fraternities. It is DAMN HARD to give up your humanness for an arduous cause full of mundane actions when it appears as if nobody cares and everyone is moving in a "fun and compelling direction." Smart humans ARE humans nonetheless.

Science ranks right up there with a free, motivated and discerning/skeptical press. Unfortunately that is just about gone the way of the dodo bird. We are basically a bunch of fans who spend their energies rooting for "their team" whilst deriding the other. And it is unsustainable.

• Agree Agree x 1