Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Concerts Live!

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by shelbygt350, Jan 17, 2019.

1. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ok, again while we wait.......here are some concerts seen live-

Frank Sinatra. The Who. Rolling Stones (3X). Jimi Hendrix. Beach Boys. Temptations. Bob Dylan. Fleetwood Mac. 4 Tops. Mitch Ryder & Detroit Wheels. Iron Butterfly. Elton John. Cher. Connie Stevens. Diana Ross. Johnny Cash. James Brown.

Name some of yours.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

OK.....
    Yes, (4 times), Black Sabbath, Chicago, Beach Boys, The Doors, The Doobie Brothers, , Moody Blues,(5 times), the Who (Twice), Pink Floyd, (5 times, one of my favorites)Led Zeppelin ( three times), David Bowie (twice), Renaissance (twice), The Grateful Dead (four times), Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr, Dean Martin, Barbara Streisand, Elvis Presley, The Allmann Brothers (twice), Styx (twice), Tom Petty, Heart (three times), Jethro Tull (twice)Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Traffic, Billy Joel, Manfred Mann, , Fleetwood Mac, U2, Santana, J. Giles, Frank Zappa, Steppenwolf, Peter Frampton (twice, once with Framptons Camel) Alvin Lee and Ten Years After
    Oh, yeah.... and the Ultimate Concert......Woodstock!

There are a few that I saw from either backstage, or in the wings, as I was working as an MC. It was a blast to go on stage to introduce them.... a fun and interesting time....;
    Carly Simon, Pat Benatar, South Side Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, The Four Tops, Frankie Valli , Rodney Dangerfield, Tony Bennett, Barry Manilow, James Taylor

I'm sure there are several more that I haven't remembered.... so many of those concerts were held in the "very foggy times" in the late 60's and early 70's. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Ted Nugent (my first concert ever), Styx, Foreigner, Boston, Cheap Trick, Frank Zappa, Dweezil Zappa, Dream Theater, Eric Clapton, Stones, Van Halen, Heart, Grateful Dead, Black Crows, Living Color (awesome band live), Tom Petty, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Billy Joel (husband duties...), Jimmy Buffet, Eagles, Peter Frampton, Allman Brothers, Little Feat, Radiators, and many others from the "foggy times" as well.

• Like Like x 3
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Steely Dan (4x), The Police w Maroon Five, Rush, Roger Waters, Lenny Kravitz (highly forgettable), Bob Dylan, Chick Corea's Electric Band, Return to Forever, Chick Corea & Bela Fleck, Dizzy Gillespie, Clark Terry, Tom Harrell, Maynard Ferguson (4x), Count Basie Orchestra, Wynton Marsalis/Lincoln Center Jazz, Branford Marsalis, Gordon Goodwin's Big Fat Band, Buddy Guy (gave the pre-concert talk), Alfonso Ponticelli, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Pat Metheny, Ravi Shankar, MN Opera (2x), Chicago Symphony

Probably the best concert performance I've ever enjoyed was the National Philharmonic of Russia. They were right on par with Chicago, which is one of the world's greatest symphonies. My favorite concert was Steely Dan '94 at the Dallas Starplex. Only time I've taken a certain elicit substance and damn was it FUN!

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I had tickets to hear YES, but Anderson got sick and the show was cancelled. :emoji_poop:

6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I forgot Jimmy Cliff at some bar in Winter Park, Stevie Ray Vaughn, B. B. King, Van Morrison and UB 40 at the Bob Carr in Orlando, Little Feat at Tupperware and the Ocean Center in Daytona, Vanilla Ice at Tupperware (taking one for the team), maybe I'll "remember" some others.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    In no particular order..

Don Williams and Jerry Clower
    Wynonna Judd (back stage passes)
    Motley Crue (4)
    Great White (2)
    Whitesnake
    Guns N’ Roses (2)
    Poison
    Kelly Clarkson (w/daughter)
    Europe
    LA Guns
    Ratt (2)
    Ted Nugent
    Kiss
    Skid Row
    Toby Keith
    Garth Brooks
    Kenny Chesney
    Shenandoah
    Pink Floyd
    Iron Maiden (loudest concert)
    Public enemy
    Stetsasonic
    New Edition (very first concert Jacksonville arena)
    Fat Boys (opened up for NE)
    Hootie and the blowfish
    Melissa ethridge
    Pearl Jam (best concert)
    Judas Priest
    Steele Panther(most entertaining)
    Billy Ray Cyrus

Im 46 (72) Steely Dan was a little before my time. I listen to them everyday on my way to work and back home! The drummer is phenomenal!! I would have love to see them live!

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You have good taste. :emoji_clap: I'm not much older than you. Steely Dan's prime output were albums from when we were pretty young: The Royal Scam (1976), Aja (1977), Gaucho (1980).

Part of what made Steely Dan so special is that they hired the world's greatest jazz musicians to record and tour with them. It's really two guys - Walter Becker (guitar), who just died in Sept '17 and Donald Fagen (keyboards/lead vocal). They hired session players to fill out the band. Drummers have included Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, and Dennis Chambers.

Chambers was listed to have been on the tour in '94, but that night, which was my awakening to Steely Dan, we heard one of the greatest jazz drummers of all time, Peter Erskine. I don't know by what fate that happened, but can only guess that Chambers got sick and they were fortunate to get Erskine in a pinch. He's one of the greatest cymbal players . . . ever.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You got to hear Stevie Ray Vaughan . . . one of those musicians whose live performance was transcendental. I'm envious. SRV was an amazing musician, but live . . . he just violated the guitar (in good ways). :devil:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I bet you are listening to Aja, with Steve Gadd on drums. That's a nice solo. Starts with the sax solo (only Wayne Shorter) at 4:44. Drum solo reprises at 7:00 and takes the tune out.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Absolutely. The first time I saw him was in Jacksonville opening for Huey Lewis & the News (I know...) during the "I wanna new drug" days. I'd never heard of him, but about 10 seconds into his first song I was blown away. When he went into Voodoo Child I my jaw hit the floor and I about lost it. The crowd I was with were there for Huey and clearly just. didn't. get it. Great show. I saw him at Bob Carr in Otown a few months before he passed, and if I remember correctly, it was just after he was able to get off the marching powder. As you can guess, a tremendous set. He was so good it should be illegal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn All American

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga

This is the one that made me go, wow!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

• Like Like x 2
  14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks...I forgot some.

Pete Fountain. Al Hirt. The Monkees. Rod Stewart. Connie Stevens (surprise entertainer/singer). Julio Iglesias (almost feel asleep). Rita Coolidge.

Trans Siberian Orchestra- deserve a special line for themselves. Unbelievably great.

I purposefully skipped Elvis.

At Gator Growl: Robin Williams. Dennis Miller. Rodney Dangerfield (funniest ever). Bob Hope (awful). Jerry Seinfeld. Bill Cosby. Paula Poundstone (well, maybe worse than Bob). Smothers Bros (not funny).

Lucille Ball (very interesting person).

• Like Like x 1
  15. jwalkergator

jwalkergator Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gulf Breeze
    In no particular order:

Motley Crue and Lita Ford (first concert without my parents)
    Tina turner
    Chicago
    Janet Jackson
    Pink Floyd
    Rolling Stones
    Roger Waters
    Jimmy Buffett
    Little Richard
    Bob Dylan
    John Mellencamp
    Metallica
    Janes Addiction
    Rage against the machine
    NIN
    Helmet
    Rush
    Lenny Kravitz
    Blind Mellon
    Tool
    GNR
    Primus
    Black Keys
    Kings of Leon
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Foo Fighters
    Pearl Jam
    John Mayer
    Band of Horses
    Bad Brains
    Gary Clark Jr
    The Cult
    Cage the Elephant

• Like Like x 2
  16. WhattaGator

While I forgot my buddy , Frankie Avalon , then Dion, Bruce Springsteen and Connie Francis, I was listening to more of this...

• Like Like x 3
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Wiggles :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    Rush (3), Styx, Van Halen, Van Hagar, David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar (2), Yes, The Who, Pink Floyd, Metallica (2),Dokken, Kingdom Come, Primus, The OffSpring), Pat Benetar, REO Speedwagon, OZZY, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Joe Walsh, Chicago (3), The Scorpions, Dave Matthews, Steely Dan, Widespread Panic (3), Brooks & Dunn, lots of tribute bands including a Doors tribute band at the Whiskey A Go Go, countless bar bands including many bands at the old Orange and Brew. I know I'm forgetting a lot.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  19. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    Paula Poundstone absolutely bombed at Gator Growl.

the years I remember going are ;
    1988 Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfeld - I remember a great show
    1989 Richard Jeni, Paula Poundstone- I remember Paula was horrible, no memories of Richard Jeni
    1990 Paul Provenza, Jeff Foxworthy- No memories at all, started drinking too early I guess
    1995 Kevin Pollak, Anthony Clark - I remember both as funny, others have told me Pollak wasn't that good. But everything was probably funny to me that night.

20. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    When and where?

• Agree Agree x 1