Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Competitive NBA All Star Game

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by regurgigator, Feb 17, 2020.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    For those who follow the NBA, the fourth quarter of the NBA All Star Game last night was the most competitive NBA All Star Game I've seen in decades! Maybe ever! The 3rd quarter was fairly competitive also.

That was fun! Watching teams that loaded with talent get after it was probably a bit like seeing the Dream Team's legendary practices.

I think it also demonstrated that it probably wouldn't have been "fair" if Kawhi Leonard had joined the Lakers this season (would have created almost a Golden State situation). Leonard, Davis, and James (along with Chris Paul and James Harden) were making it very difficult for Giannis' team to get any decent looks at crunch time. It would be great to see those three playing together on our Olympic team along with a couple of other great defenders like Paul George and...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Great New York Times headline on a photo of the dunk contest: “Gravity isn’t what it used to be”

3. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Loved every second of the fourth quarter

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. username

username Junior

Aug 17, 2017
    Let’s talk about the joke of a dunk contest. Anybody out there who thinks DJJ actually won?

5. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Yea, they found a format to make the game competitive. Crazy the amount of talent on the court and the amount of talent that was missing with (KD, Klay, PG, Steph) all being out with injuries.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. ufg8r3283

ufg8r3283 Freshman

Dec 7, 2019
    The NBA lost me after the incident in China. It was just the final straw for a league which has done more and more to give the middle finger to a lot of the people who used to be fans since Adam Silver took over.

I understand a lot of people, particularly the under 40 crowd, really love the way they do things now and that's good for them.

Fortunately for the NBA, they don't need old guys like me to watch or spend money.

7. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Reminded me of a men's league game and now you know why they always break out in a fight.

8. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I used to be a true fanatic, but gradually lost interest well before the China deal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ufg8r3283

ufg8r3283 Freshman

Dec 7, 2019
    Absolutely agree. The China story was just the final thing that pushed me away from even tuning in casually.

I love the game of basketball. I just have been severely turned off by the NBA over the last decade +.

10. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    :emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz::emoji_zzz:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Im curious as to what the other things the NBA has done to lose your patronage are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    The all-star games have been absolutely fantastic since they went to the draft concept. The best players in the world playing at their highest levels against each other. That 4th quarter was epic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    You guys that lost interest in the NBA - you do realize that the skill level is better than ever, right? That today’s players are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were 2-3 decades ago when you were watching the NBA? It’s not even close. Guys like Shaq and Charles lamenting today’s 3-pt spread game, but neither one of them could shoot. Of course they prefer a grind it inside style, because that’s how they played. I’d put LeBron, Giannis, Embiid, AD, KD, Steph, Lillard, Klay, Doncic, Simmons, Siakam, etc against any group of players - including the dream teams - and it wouldn’t even be close. I’m sure you can all see how ridiculously talented - and well-rounded - these players are today. Just watch a game today, then turn on a game from the 90s. Bigger, stronger, more athletic and more skilled than ever. How many are good golfers? Almost none. Because they don’t have time to golf anymore. They work on their game 12 months a year, and played 12 months a year growing up. And as a result it’s the best NBA product in the history of the game - and its not even close. Those of you who don’t believe that, are living in the past. I’ve been watching the NBA since the 70s and this is easily the best basketball being played - ever. So why not stop screaming at kids on the lawn for a couple hours and watch? ☺️ You just might be entertained.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I agree that China incident was all about the $$$, lost respect for Silver too...but the game is much bigger than a few execs and how they handle politics

15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

That 2nd to last dunk by Gordon off the side of the back board was the best (and most beautiful) contest dunk I've ever seen. The Miami guy was impressive, but Gordon was the best dunker on the night.

A tie would have been much more palatable. It was pretty clear that most people thought Gordon had been robbed.

16. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Let's say I'm someone that prides myself as an elite defender. I want to show out on defense.

My impression: the All Star Game is a "playing defense is NOT cool" deal.

17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

That has typically been the case for many years. Basically no defense for the first 2 to 3 quarters. If the score is still somewhat close in the 4th quarter, then guys play a little harder and put up somewhat token defense.

This last game, I thought the defense in the 4th quarter exceeded what's seen in a lot of regular season NBA games. And, I'm not one of those who bashes the NBA for playing no defense. They play great defense, but the offense - as mentioned above - is just hard to stop when teams are hitting threes from all over the court. Both teams clearly wanted to win badly last night with the stifling defense they started playing - particularly Team LeBron.

And, Giannis would play that hard even if everyone else was still on the old no-defense page. :cool: He was playing pretty hard for all 4 quarters!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ufg8r3283

ufg8r3283 Freshman

Dec 7, 2019
    The basketball doesn't feel like basketball to me, it's incredibly PC and the players run the league.

I get that a lot of people love it, and that's great for them. I personally liked the physical, more traditional game.

19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Interesting to hear your perspective. What is PC about the league? I hadn't noticed it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Did you see the 4th quarter?

• Agree Agree x 1