Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Compare and Contrast ∙ Florida Quarterbacks Franks, Trask and Jones

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Once again there are too many unknowns to feel comfortable with any of the potential starting quarterbacks, and similar analysis from a few sports writers. I know from social media that Franks and Jones have both been working with quarterback coaches in the off-season, and that Franks has attended at least one national football camp. I have read over the years that the personal coaching and national camps help. With Trask seemingly being the favorite, I wonder if he has been working with a personal coach in order to get ahead.

3. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Every year there are unknowns at every position even when you bring back a Heisman QB (Tebow) or a Hesiman runner-up (Grossman).

That was a good article outlining the strengths of all the candidates, all 3 of whom can run with the football, which is nice, and 2 of whom (Franks at 227 lbs and Trask at 240 lbs) have both the height to see over DLines and enough size to take a hit.

Further, as Billy D often said: "It's not who starts that matters, it's who finishes." Like with Tua Tagovailoa last year, or LDR against Ky.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Until Trask actually plays a game, I don't see how we can know anything at all about how he will perform.

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for sharing @mulegator. A few observations:
    • Interesting to read that Feleipe "has emerged as a team leader in the weight room and on the field." Maybe it was just his youth, but it didn't seem he had that "it" factor last season. Glad to read this
    • I didn't think Trask was as tall as Franks. Is that possibly true?
    • Franks indicates that he's intent upon being a game manager. While we certainly need that at the QB position, I would feel more confident in a QB who wants to be more than a manager.
    Which of the three will emerge as a gamer? I feel FF's ceiling might be a little higher than Trask's at this point, but that his floor may be lower. Will Trask's familiarity with the spread be enough for him to start game one? Jones very well may be a future star, but he needs some time. If he is to play this season, I don't think it will be until midway or later. Most likely a redshirt, barring injuries.

Someone is going to need to be ready to make plays in game two vs. UK (think Will Grier '15). Will Frask be ready to make game winning plays?

7. AlfaGator

AlfaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    Someone is going to need to be ready to make plays in game two vs. UK (think Will Grier '15). Will Frask be ready to make game winning plays?
    gatordavisl, Today at 9:15 AM

Frask! I like the idea. Take the best components of Franks and Trask. Meld them into a perfect warrior. Frask will be a monster.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    If you are going to crack a joke, you need to make sure you use the reply feature correctly ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The only way any QB can lead is to play well on game day. Play poorly and none of the other stuff matters.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    The QB race is a real mystery. I have a preconceived notion that we have already seen how Franks picks up an offense, and that he will not be ready to go this year in a new offense just as he has been in the past. In comparison, Blackmon for FSU was a raw QB and younger with less time in Jimbo's offense, which may be more complicated than Mac's, and he showed a lot of proficiency with the offense at the end of the year, while Franks struggled throughout. I don't see his accuracy improving for mid-range passes from what he has shown, and I don't think that the long ball, Frank's strength, is the staple of Mullen's offense. I just don't see him as a game manager for Mullen as he had so many glaring deficiencies in reading the game and executing plays, and he is not a natural fit as a running QB. Mullen has shown some ability to use a pocket passer, but it just limits what can be done in Dan's offense. I don't see Franks as a fit despite his being ahead in game time. Leadership in the lockerroom means little if it does not translate to the field of play.

Trask is a huge unknown. To say that he has been passed by greater talent is not true because he has not had a chance to show what he has except for one summer. He came to UF having told the coaches he was going to redshirt his first year, but showed practice observers that he was by far the most consistent passer over Franks, LDR, and Appleby. The next spring I believe he had some niggling injury but played through to a decent spring game. He got injured in the fall with a knee when he was in the hunt for the job. He still had a leg and foot issue in the spring but played through to a decent spring game, but was still noticeably not as consistent in accuracy than he was as a freshman in practice and the game. This tells me until he is completely healed up in the fall, we will not know what we have in Trask. However, I expect him to again be by far the most accurate passer of the three, and in the spring game he looked the most consistent at going through his reads. Does that translate to him being a lock starter. I doubt it, but if he progresses over the summer, I wouldn't bet against him.

Jones fits Mullen's offense. He was not consistently accurate in the spring though I expect him to progress in his passing. He came on strong at the end of the spring, so who knows how much of the offense he could pick up. Mullen showed that with Tebow he would work a talented freshman into the mix if he had a veteran starter, so I am sure he will play this year, but how much is the question. I hope he plays at least as much as Tebow did his freshman year. Mullen will have packages for Jones if he does not become a full blown starter. My prediction is that Mullen protects Jones for the future and only gives him packages this year. One of Franks and Trask will have to carry the load.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I completely understand the frustration with watching Franks struggle in the McElwain/ Nussmeier offense, but keep in mind that the Mullen offense will be a lot simpler. We know Franks can make many of the throws, but under Mullen he will not be required to make as many pre-snap reads and he will not have to read two layers of defense before deciding whether to throw to the high receiver or the low receiver. He will have to learn how to read a defensive end as he is running a read-option, and he will have a much simpler read once he decides to throw. The Mullen offense has ways of disguising some of his weaknesses, especially if Mullen adapts the spread option offense in a similar manner as it was done for Chris Leak at UF and Tyson Lee at MSU. Franks will have to let the Mullen offense iron out some of his bad habits, but his habit of staring down receivers is okay with some spread option concepts and he could get away with it against lesser competition.

Trask has an advantage here that he never had to cram his head with the complex McElwain/ Nussmeier offense and execute it while developing bad habits. All Kyle has to do is not pick up any bad habits and he could beat Franks. That is all we really know about the guy in limited action.

12. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you took the best of Franks and Trask it still wouldn't equal an Emory Jones.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Mullen will have to go to Emory when Franks has us on the cusp of missing another bowl game and Trask proves he was just as inaccurate a QB as he showed in the Spring. Emory or bust for our bowl lives.

14. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Heeeeereeee we go. Doesn't miss a beat...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Still seemingly no identity at QB and I gotta say it’s unnerving but I trust the coaches. Just frustrating that we can never seem to find a guy who is ready to come in and play while so many other schools with far lower recruiting classes do.

Maybe I wouldn’t be saying that if Grier had stayed though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It takes more than 1 off-season to remove the stink from the Mac'n Nuss trough. Emory needs another 25 lbs to be effective against the defenses he will face in the SEC. 192lbs might cut at UAB, but not in the SEC. Trask just hasn't done anything, never has started a game at any level.

17. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask needs a Game chance, not just riding the pine, I am pulling for him to play this year,or we will have another Transfer.

18. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Bimbo runs an offense that is much much more simple than Macs, much better suited for the college game. That's why Blackmon looked so much better. Mac was a complete and utter idiot,

19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I can wholeheartedly agree with the last sentence, but not the rest. Mac's offense had a lot of window dressing, which helped the QB identify the defense better. Overall I think Bimbo's offense was more difficult for the QB to pick up than Mac's, but Bimbo dumbed it down some for Blackmon, which he should do for a freshman. I agree that Mac didn't do much to help Franks adjust, or at least that is how it appeared.

20. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Exactly. For all we know, he might curl up into the fetal position when faced with an SEC pass rush. We simply have no way to know how he'll perform under live fire conditions.

(NOT saying this is likely, let's just temper our expectations on Trask. The kid really hasn't played much, anywhere, his entire career - HS or college.)