Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coming Up: The Pardon Marketplace

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps960608, Jan 17, 2021.

1. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lots of talk about secret pardons, as they don’t all have to be announced, to keep Moscow Mitch and Senate pubs from being forced into convicting him in his second Senate trial, while protecting his crime family from federal prosecution.

However, it is widely believed among Constitutional scholars that self-pardons are not a thing that will stand judicial scrutiny (not even with Drunky McPukeShoes and Amy Covid Island on the bench).

These pardons are all likely just window dressing, because there are enough state charges coming down the pike for all of them to put them away all day via pardon-proof convictions.

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How does that work?

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am far from an expert on this area but I thought I had listened to an explainer, I believe in the National Security Law podcast, that said that the privilege against self-incrimination would remain so long as there is the possibility of state prosecutions. Again, not claiming definitive expertise, but I'm pretty certain that's what I heard. And it makes sense. You would retain the privilege if there is still the possibility of some prosecution

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    BANNON

By far the worst and most dangerous of the Trump henchmen.

This is the guy who said Trump should behead Fauci and the FBI director. Said it multiple times. Zero push back from the orange turd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Duke Cunningham, the GOP congressman who admitted receiving $2.4 million in bribes along with various other crimes such as tax evasion, received a pardon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump pardons and commutations – the full list

Elliott Broidy
    Broidy, a major Republican party fundraiser, pleaded guilty in October to acting as an unregistered foreign agent, admitting to accepting money to secretly lobby the Trump administration for Chinese and Malaysian interests. He has been pardoned. Broidy held finance posts in Trump’s 2016 campaign and on his inaugural committee.

Sholam Weiss
    Weiss was convicted of bilking $125m from National Heritage Life Insurance and its elderly policyholders. He fled the United States and was sentenced in absentia in 2000 to 845 years in prison, but he was eventually extradited from Austria. Weiss, 66, is at a US penitentiary in Pennsylvania, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Kwame Kilpatrick
    The former Detroit mayor was sentenced in 2013 to 28 years in prison following his conviction on two dozen charges including racketeering, bribery and extortion from a conspiracy, which prosecutors said had worsened the city’s financial crisis. Kilpatrick, 50, once seen as a rising star in the Democratic party, received one of the longest corruption sentences ever handed to a major US politician. Kilpatrick, who was mayor from 2002 to 2008, extorted bribes from contractors who wanted to get or keep Detroit city contracts, prosecutors said. His sentence has been commuted.

7. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Have any of the Capitol Riot Patriots been pardoned?

8. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Full list of Trump's last-minute pardons and commuted sentences

Michael Ashley: Ashley was convicted for bank fraud over the 2009 collapse of mortgage company Lend America and sentenced to 3 years in prison in 2019. He was the executive vice president and chief business strategist with the company. Ashley was ordered to pay $49 million in restitution and $800,000 in forfeiture. His sentence was commuted.

Dr. Faustino Bernadett: Bernadett, a retired anesthesiologist, was sentenced last year to 15 months in federal prison for taking part in a long-running health care fraud scheme where he authorized sham contracts that concealed over $30 million in illegal kickback payments to physicians, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The overall scheme resulted in more than $900 million in fraudulent bills being submitted, the office said.

Carl Andrews Boggs: Trump granted a full pardon to Carl Andrews Boggs. In 2014, Boggs pleaded guilty to federal charges stemming from a criminal investigation into the illegal use of a disadvantaged business enterprise to obtain government-funded construction contracts. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to defraud the department of transportation and one count of money laundering conspiracy.

Kenneth Kurson: Trump granted clemency to Kurson, the former editor of the New York Observer and friend of Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner who was charged last October with cyberstalking during a heated divorce.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don’t think so. I guess there’s 39 more minutes left, but supposedly those were his final acts. The WH lawyers were strongly advising against it. He might have actually listened, because their argument was basically “pardoning the rioters won’t go over well in your impeachment trial for inciting them”.

Giuliani was supposedly snubbed as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    i think that’s true, but you couldn’t plead the 5th in a federal proceeding during which you could incriminate others. That’s the real benefit to a prosecutor.

Amd I believe all states have similar protections against self incrimination in state proceedings.

11. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Genuinely shocking if Rudy doesn't get one.

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He basically threatened Trump that he knew where the skeletons were buried. It's odd, because you had to figure Trump would give it to him to keep him quiet.

The reports were Trump had his staff withhold Giuliani's "legal fees". So maybe he's actually pissed Giuliani didn't "win" with his kook arguments in court re: the election, and he didn't want to pay him back with a pardon. He didn't pardon Michael Cohen either, so maybe Giuliani is about to join the same club as Trump's previous "fixer" aka crime lawyer.

13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Honestly, who cares? The only people defrauded are the one's still too stupid to even acknowledge they were defrauded and those who still support this tool. We should probably give him an award and hope he steals even more money from these stupid arse Trump-supporters until they are all completely broke!!

14. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I suppose there could conceivably be a roll for Rudy in whatever TrumpWorld monstrosity is born soon, although I can't believe even Trump would want this walking sh*t show around. I mean loyalty is clearly the only real job requirement, but you would think that some level of credibility/competence is also necessary.

And at this point, Rudy is such damaged goods that rolling on Trump may indeed fail. I mean he's just an embarrassing clown. Maybe Trump is calling him on the threat and feels good that he'll never get enough run due to the public emasculation.

I feel like Rudy is just going to get discarded altogether. I don't think there are even any pathetic reality shows for B listers he fits. He's going to be a minimum pay absurdity screecher on right wing media and have one of those slide shows that try to get you to click 30 times to "see what happened to Rudy Giuliani."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t recall the details, but I saw explained on a news program by a Constitutional scholar recently. Generally speaking, if pardons are issued as part of a criminal conspiracy, e.g., to cover up a crime by the President, or as an illegal act itself, e.g., taking a bribe to pardon someone, they would be vacated as a criminal act.

I don’t know what the procedure is, and it would be subject to the Trump-stuffed courts, so who knows what would actually happen if they were challenged, but it’s an option.

There are so many other ways to legally get Trump and his criminal
    associates, im not sure anyone in the AG’s office would take the time (or have the time?) to go after vacating pardons to the people who are not attached to Trump, terrible criminals whom he pardoned just to “own the libs”.

16. PD

Apr 3, 2007
    There is also enough evidence in the Mueller Report to put most of them back in jail for things they weren’t prosecuted for. Not sure if the Dems will go after the MR, or if they consider it permanently toxic because Barr successfully co**-blocked it by establishing contradictory lies before releasing the heavily-redacted version.

The MR alone would be enough to put Trump in prison the rest of his life, just not sure the Dems in Congress or the AG will want to take a route that will feed the conspiracy theorists of the lunatic red hat cult.

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure that's accurate though its never been tested legally. That factual hypothetical might create a new crime that could be prosecuted, but does not negate the pardon, IMO

18. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    'QAnon Shaman' attorney speaks out on pardon snub: 'would have been the honorable thing to do'

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Some of those pardons may not be as good as they were advertised to be...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1