Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coming Up: The Pardon Marketplace

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps960608, Jan 17, 2021.

1. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    There is no filing requirement in the constitution. The only law that potentially applies is the presidential record's act, which requires records of official acts to be turned over to the National Archives at the end of a president's term. However, there is no enforcement mechanism in that law that would retroactively invalidate an action if the underlying record is not turned over (and even if there were, it would likely be unconstitutional).

So as long as the pardon is genuine and issued by the president while in office, there's a strong argument that he has no obligation to make it public.

Democrats Are Worried Trump Will Secretly Pardon People. Can He Do That?

2. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah, I'm not buying it. I don't trust our current SCOTUS much, but when push comes to shove, being elected president can't make you immune from your own crimes for life. Doesn't pass the legal smell test.

3. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    A self pardon is an entirely different issue. That could be challenged whether it is public or not. Also, secret or not, pardons only work for crimes committed before the end of a president's term. They are not prospective, so they cannot provide lifetime immunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I concede that I wasn't completely accurate. Have to confess to being sloppy. It's still my contention that a significant percentage of the cash for pardons will eventually end up in entities controlled by Trump such as his super PACs if not directly in his pocket.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    World's largest Sharpie.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Interesting that a legendary RE fraudster is considering pardoning over 100 people (per reports). I'm guessing there might be realtors, mortgage brokers, title companies, closing agents, lawyers and appraisers on the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    And a shitload of Capitol rioters I would imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't blame Trump for this. While I like the pardon power in theory, it is like dieting in a candy store. Im ignorant of how it could be addressed, but would like to see some minimal oversight. I would also like to see presidential tariff powers checked. I had no idea a prez could unilaterally impose tariffs. Both of these powers are just inviting fraud & corruption.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree. In the past Trump has indicated that he financial crimes shouldn't really be considered criminal acts, same with crimes related to political corruption.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although I thought it was a real possibility the chances are that Trump will not issue pardons for the Capitol rioters simply because it would increase the possibility of a conviction when he goes on trial in the Senate. The odds are that he will be acquitted since 2/3 of the Senate is a rather high standard. The possibility of a conviction would increase, although probably still unlikely, if he pardons the insurgents.

11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wealthy felons paying Utah Trump advisor tens of thousands seeking pardons

12. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I had this thought too.

13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    A RE criminal denies that fraud in federally related transactions. I'm shocked I tell you shocked. ;) And by shocked I mean just another day in the life. His groupies and cult members should be ashamed, except that if they continue this fraudster they are clearly cool with rampant, blatant, nuggets in your face don't you know who I am isms. MAGA? Child please...

[​IMG]

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

14. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Does Ghislaine Maxwell get hers first, last, or buried in the middle?

15. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    I don’t think it possible to hide a Ghislaine Maxwell pardon. It would be a Marc Rich-level pardon.

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Interesting.

Trump talked out of pardoning kids and Republican lawmakers (msn.com)

Huddled for a lengthy meeting with his legal advisers, Trump was warned the pardons he once hoped to bestow upon his family and even himself would place him in a legally perilous position, convey the appearance of guilt and potentially make him more vulnerable to reprisals.

So, too, was Trump warned that pardons for Republican lawmakers who had sought them for their role in the Capitol insurrection would anger the very Senate Republicans who will determine his fate in an upcoming impeachment trial.

White House counsel Pat Cipollone and another attorney who represented Trump in his first impeachment trial, Eric Herschmann, offered the grave warnings as Trump, his daughter Ivanka and her husband Jared Kushner listened. Other lawyers joined by telephone. They all told Trump he should not pardon himself, his family or any GOP lawmakers in a prospective manner unless he was prepared to list specific crimes.

Cipollone and former Attorney General William Barr both warned Trump earlier this month they did not believe he should pardon himself, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN last week. Barr conveyed this position to Trump before resigning last month, sources say.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe he can use one of her other names and try to sneak it thru as Noelle Maxwell. :confused:;)o_O

20. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    by the guy whose supporters he stole money from.

Can’t make up this kind of corruption.

• Agree Agree x 1