Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coming Up: The Pardon Marketplace

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps960608, Jan 17, 2021.

1. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    How's he going to announce these pardons? Send up a smoke signal?

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Should we be surprised that Trump is selling pardons? He's the best president money can buy and it's not even close.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I don’t think any pardon will top the convicted murderers set free by Trump already. The rest of these will be corruption offenses I assume. I guess is there really a difference in a few favors from Obama and Clinton and Bush vs the landslide of favors Trump may hand out? Whole process reeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Trump is single handily making the argument for reigning in the powers of the presidency, including the pardon power.

Even unitary executive nut jobs like Bill Barr must be rethinking things...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    My bet is that they will be announced when he is on the plane to Maralago Wednesday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Do you think Abraham Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address via a tweet thread?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    but he's saving the government money...incarcerating people isnt free :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    He’ll get revenge on the Lincoln Project by giving a posthumous pardon to John Wilkes Booth.

• Funny Funny x 16
  10. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    More draining the swamp.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Every president pardons, and some have been highly political. See Rich, Mark.

But there is typically a process to go through that this POTUS is skipping in exchange for a healthy deposit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
  13. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Who says pardons have to be announced?

14. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Wow! Trump is emulating the Clintons! What about that?

Yet, the same people attack the Clintons as corrupt and canonize Trump!

BTW: the Mark Rich pardon is the most publicly known, but was not the worst.

Pardons reemerge as issue in Clinton run - The Boston Globe

Now, in the wake of the launch of her presidential campaign, the pardon controversy has reemerged in an obscure court case in which Senator Clinton's brother Tony is battling an order to repay more than $100,000 he received from a couple pardoned by President Clinton.

Tony Rodham, who acknowledged approaching the president about a pardon for the couple, is the second of Hillary Clinton's brothers to receive money from people who were eventually pardoned by President Clinton. Hugh Rodham received $400,000 from two people, one of whom was pardoned and one whose sentence was commuted.

But while Hillary Clinton immediately expressed chagrin over the news in 2001 that Hugh received the money -- and asked him to return it -- she said Tony was "not paid," according to a congressional report. The Clinton campaign yesterday declined to comment on the case involving Tony Rodham.

Hillary's Brother Was Paid for Pardon Work

Former President Clinton today claimed he didn't know that his wife's brother, Hugh Rodham, had been hired by two of the controversial figures he granted clemency to in his final hours in office.

In a statement, Clinton said he learned only Tuesday that Rodham, an attorney and brother of New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, received a contingency fee in connection with the pardon application of Glenn Braswell, who had been convicted of mail fraud, perjury and tax evasion, and a fee for work on the commutation application of Carlos Vignali, a convicted drug dealer.

Legal sources tell ABCNEWS that Rodham, a Florida lawyer with no pardon expertise, received some $400,000 for his work on both cases. That figure includes a $200,000 payment for successfully lobbying for the Braswell pardon. Nancy Luque, an attorney for Rodham, said tonight he has returned the money.

"My client, Hugh Rodham, today acceded to his family's request that he return legal fees earned in connection with pardon requests," Luque said in a statement. "Hugh Rodham has done absolutely nothing wrong. He has returned these fees solely because his family asked that he do so."

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I have no doubt they are going to do some highly corrupt pardons, but if they are waiting until the last second hopefully they forget a few or even miss the deadlines or otherwise screw up the normal filing process. That could give a window for a new DOJ to contest some, or even not honor them at all in extreme cases.

I’m actually not worried about Trump pardoning himself or his family. The state of NY is after him, and they will no doubt keep acting criminally even after Jan 20. How many illicit dollars are they dealing with? Its not like they will be “coming clean” before using the pardons. There will be fresh crimes to prosecute. I hope he dies try and pardon himself (as opposed to Pence) because I think that will be aggressively challenged.

17. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    The article says people with access to DT are collecting money to lobby Trump for a pardon, with no guarantee that it will be granted. Did I miss where it says the money goes to Trump and the pardon guaranteed?

BTW I have been disgusted by some of the pardons from any president regardless of party.

18. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    My point is that for people who haven’t been charged with a crime, there may not be any need to file a pardon or announce that it has happened in any way.

Theoretically, he could just write pardon letters for his family, sign, seal, and date them, and then put them in a safe. If anyone is ever charged with a federal crime, he produces the pardon and moves to dismiss.

19. gatorchamps960608

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah, I don't think it works that way. It has to be filed while he is POTUS. Otherwise, former presidents would keep their pardon power for life.