Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College offenses are changing

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Mar 26, 2021.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    With many of the rule changes favoring the offense, the scoring is higher and defenses aren't what they used to be. Take Alabama for instance, their D averaged I believe 19 points a game. That is incredibly high for a defensive team like bama, and yet they led the SEC in D when it came to points allowed.
    It used to be a team that ran the ball effectively, played strong D, and played special teams solidly came out the winner. Now, it seems college ball is more about outscoring your opponents verses shutting them down.
    Last year, we had the tools to do just that, score and score quickly. It will be interesting to see if we can maintain that with more of a running game. The key questions for me is will Jones be able to pass effectively and will the OL be able to open holes for our backs? If either of those two fail, it could mean serious trouble. Bottom line, with the changes in college football, we are still going to have to put lots of points on the board imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I think Saban said as much months ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great, now TG will go to his anticipated 3-8 defense... I wonder what he'll call it? The "double dime" the "triple nickle?" Lol... :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, if you don't give the QB all day to throw the ball then we can stop any offense. All that starts and ends with a big 4 man front!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    You might want to check the box score of the only game we scored over 60 points last year. You might be shocked. Running the ball more and effective leads to more points not less. Just check that box score.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I did. It was the only game we scored 60 and even then Trask had something like 350 yards passing. So, yes running the ball was good and with our passing proficiency I couldn't understand why we didn't do this more, run that is. If you checked our games against other teams, we were great at passing, scoring quick, and basically outscoring our opponents. RPO's have really opened up the offenses.

6. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    There was a time not too many years ago when it felt like 24 points would win most SEC games. Times have definitely changed (and could likely cycle back at some point down the road). I would still downplay the numbers from this past season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It’s funny - in the months last year when we were all anticipating whether of not we’d have a season, no rational person was going into it with expectations beyond just trying to get some games in. And now people are freaking out at the results. LMFAO

• Agree x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Yeah...what a wacked year. Started off ridiculous-no spring. Games cancelled, schedules changed, people out, people in, coaches sick, stadiums empty, teams playing depleted rosters and a gazillion SEC games. Then, out of nowhere, we got really good, almost beat the best in the land and then imploded. People left and we kind of fell back into a semi state of mediocrity from being right in the heat of the big talk. Heisman, Natty...

EJ seems decent. He can run. I hope a bucket-load of other guys can too. I hope guys can catch because when he does toss to them they need to make those catches, especially if they're not shooting through the air abundantly like Trasky did. we also do have some kids that can catch out of the backfield so that's a good thing too.

I'm staying optimistic until something else happens to impload my brains uber-positivity. Gotta forget Trask for starters. New offense. New direction. Better "D"...

We need to fill the stadiums this year. Geezers like myself will be vaccinated. Others too. We're rounding the corner...we'll see.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    As the man says: "We gotta outscore them..."

Well, Saban has managed to outscore them. He gets a lotta hate, but, man. 'Bout time we got our piece of the pie.

Go Gators! Outscore them!:eek::)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Is the point of this thread to rally enthusiasm about our defensive performance last year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    All sports head the way of neutered defense and points as they get more popular as a smaller and smaller percentage of fans actually know any rules, or really have any idea what they're watching. They want to see points, speed, and exciting big plays.

Look at the NBA for a perfect example. I'd bet 85+% of the viewers on any given night don't know what a lane violation is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    The difference, now, is offenses are way, way ahead of defenses, and it'll take awhile for them to catch up, if they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Rules play a big part by protecting the QB and receivers while targeting is not being called with any consistency. This greatly favors offenses (and shoes)!

15. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Wouldn't a double dime be a quadruple nickel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Nickel = 5 DBs
    Dime = 6 DBs
    Half-dollar = 7 DBs
    Dollar = 8 DBs
    Quarter Eagle = 9 DBs
    Half Eagle = 10 DBs
    Eagle = 11 DBs

"Quarter" was skipped to avoid confusion with "Quarters" coverage...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I think your “Eagle” is what Bill Walsh used against Dan Marino in Super Bowl XIX. It worked

18. gator4ever39

gator4ever39 Junior

Feb 2, 2008
    Sun valley idaho
    I remember watching hoops as a kid. I’m a huge Knicks fan. Anyhow, 80 points in the early 90’s late 80’s was a great offensive showing. In today’s nba teams are putting up 130-140 points nightly. Changes to defensive rules are mostly responsible for this. To think that changes across the entire sports landscape are out of reason would be foolish. Every single sport is now geared to one thing, money. And what brings viewership? High flying high octane offensive games in most any sport. Our defense was atrocious last year. We can’t get worse. But the aggressive unrelenting defense of the past, is just that. The past.

19. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    A lane violation is such a subjective call, but it's clear the rule has been broken when your high school girlfriend's dad wants to kick your a$$.

20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Did Lane consider it a violation or just her dad?