Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jan 5, 2021.

1. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What happens to the other 122 teams in FBS football who need 12 games per season to survive financially? The extra playoff money won’t even come close to making up for those 2 “lost” games.

Not to mention the revenue lost to college towns and the surrounding businesses that need at least 6 home games per year to survive.

So not as simple a decision as it seems.

2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good point but I would favor spreading the love to other worthy bowls that will step up their offering and stadium improvements. I could see the Las Vegas Bowl in that new stadium getting some attention. Or opening up other regions to host a game like Charlotte, Detroit, Indianapolis, especially if they have an indoor stadium. Obviously none of this happens without the approval of the Rose, Orange or Sugar bowls. They will still get their choice and conference affiliations when possible but more competition between the bowls will add to the interests of the teams and fans.

3. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    An 8 team playoff would only mean that teams that ended up in the 9-12 slots would claim politics and elitism.

And the Gators, if we continue our trend of losing to Georgia plus our annual inexplicable loss to an inferior SEC West team, could likely find itself in that 9-12 slot almost every year.

4. army_gator03

army_gator03 Junior

Oct 5, 2019
    Then keep the 12 game season and possibly have to play 16 games. If they want to be NFL players then they should prove they have the physical and mental fortitude to go the distance. It’s a pretty easy decision to me.

If this doesn’t happen then college football will die. Nobody wants to watch Alabama vs Clemson part 56.

Alternatively, scheduling should be revamped as well. I say 8 conference games, and you play one team from every other power 5 conference that finished with a similar record as your school. So based on this idea, next season Bama would hypothetically play Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, and Oregon as OOC games. It would be an interesting way to shake things up. Being a conference champion would be wonderful that season but would force you to be even more competitive the following season. That could guarantee a mix up of the CFP annually.

5. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
  6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I’m a fan of a 12 team playoff with a bye for the top 4.

1. It’ll revive the postseason. Right now bowls are dead. This is more $$

2. It’ll give non P5 a chance. Will they win? Heck no, but any sport that restricts a team from winning a title is flawed.

3. More teams and fans remain engaged. More regular season games will matter as more teams are in the hunt. Sure a few games may matter less for teams locked into spots.... but in totality more games and more teams would matter

The criticism is that teams that aren’t deserving will be in the playoffs. So what? If they aren’t deserving they’ll get crushed and thats that.

7. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    The 5 stars want to play in the playoff. A bigger pool would spread them out to other teams. Maybe not 16 but at least 8 teams would be an improvement.(Ah, as said above)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  8. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    I was responding to a comment that used rare Cinderella performances in the basketball tournament in support of expanding the playoff. I even said that I thought expanding the playoff "much beyond beyond the current four-team format" is a terrible idea. College football is an extremely top-heavy sport, and even going to 6 or 8 teams will result in some truly ugly games, particularly if there are automatic spots for conference champions and/or high-ranked G5 schools. Your concession that Cincinnati would need to pull off "the upset of the century" to win a playoff acknowledges that they're not really on the same level as the teams that are in the playoff. If the CFP expands (especially if they go beyond 6 teams), it will be primarily for money and the appearance of "fairness," not because it will materially improve the product on the field.

If TAMU (or even Vanderbilt) wins the SEC with no more than 1 loss, they're going to be in the playoff. If TAMU had beaten Alabama instead of getting blown out, they'd have been in. Elitism and politics have nothing to do with it. The only reason to include Cincinnati is because you want the spectacle of a potential upset, not because they're possibly the best team in the country.