Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College Football and NFL take note

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Aug 3, 2020.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    That's it then, no more prayers, taking a knee like Tebow, team chaplains, pointing to the sky after a TD or thanking god for awards and performances.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Cheers has been my binge of choice. Those characters and the way they played off of each other is still hilarious 30 years later

3. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I could give a shit if pro sports crumble.

But, this "experiment" has a missing cell. What if everything went down as it did RE: protests, etc. & the NBA & MLB did nothing, noting that politics & sports don't mix. This counter factual is really what current ratings should be compared to, but we'll never have that data.

4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In theory, ratings impact sponsorships; sponsorships impact revenue; revenue impacts salary. The accountant says to the player, would you rather make X amount of money "for the right reason" or make your X + Y without the social flare and you can contribute any part of Y to a worthy cause (or even selfishly keep it for yourself). How many players are going to pick the former given a choice?

Jesus' message isn't super popular now (including among self-proclaimed Christians). However, Jesus was more than willing to take a hit on ratings.

All that said, I agree with others that this isn't about a message, it's about the product. They're doing the best they can with it, but it's awful without the fans. Many are only watching because that's all we have and we're trying to force feed ourselves to "give it a chance."

Watch this play muted and then watch it with sound:

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The other thing I'm sure of is that many people wouldn't come to the conclusion that we need 'more politics' if the ratings were exceeding expectations. They'd be like "COVID bump." The reality I've faced in enjoying sports is that there is simply too much sports on for this time of year, everywhere you look some kind of game is on without any fans. ESPN was airing random Italian soccer games until recently because why not. Usually August is the time I'm getting excited about (PRESEASON!) football because its been the June and July doldrums where very little sportswise is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm not one to draw the correlation to any one specific reason. I imagine it has to do with several factors including the mangled and disjunct patchwork of a season, fanless games, newfound interests as well as some being soured by the political influence now.

For me personally I can't get behind the BLM movement. That in no way means I don't think policing methods and internal reviews need overhauling. I do. I also dont think some of the cases that have empowered the BLM movement have been differentiated enough from their cause I.e. Michael Brown and others. Watching millionaires who have been pampered since college propagate SOME false narratives and tell me how to think doesn't sit well with me either. Does anyone belive Jonathon Isaac doesnt believe black lives matter? Of course not but he also said he doesn't support the movement for other reasons. I feel the same for various reasons.

I turned off the NBA. If there is a football season I may not watch the NFL and sadly I'm getting turned off by what is starting in NCAA football as well. These aren't boycotts and I personally don't see sports dying because of this but as many hours as I work I prefer apolitical diversions. No more no less.

One other note. I have said for years now that seeing sports even at the highest level without the fanfare of crowds is incredibly disappointing. It's a symbiotic relationship and players seem to be losing sight of that. Kids don't dream of running out of a tunnel to an empty stadium to play a game that results in little to no bragging rights and adulation because the fans are not there. Fans would be surprised at how unexciting it is to see a touchdown without the roar of the crowd. Everyone might be better off to take a step back and get back to simpler times.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Lot of baloney here on ratings.

The NBA double header had the three highest rated shows on cable in the demo, that is, the segment of viewership that advertisers want. Two games plus the pre-game show. And the game was blacked out in LA where it was shown on sports nets.

Tucker and Hannity draw a lot of elderly eyeballs, but less than 20% of their viewers are in the 25-54 demo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Emaness

Emaness Premium Member

Aug 13, 2016
    It must bother you that football players and coaches tend to be so vocally Christian then.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrB-Gator

MrB-Gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    oye vey!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    On the Golf ratings...seems that only the Colonial is easy to find and they deemed it a huge success. With Daniel Berger winning. Who? Biggest Sunday rating in 16 years I believe for that tournament which is usually in May but played in June.

I have not tuned into to much golf though I love it. The PGA Championship is this weekend. I think it will be a big tell. There are some fun stories out there. Koepka while a nole is a beast when it comes to majors right now. And his trolling of DeChambeau for an ant was awesome this past weekend at the FedEx!

Brooks Koepka trolls Bryson DeChambeau over red ants during his round

• Like Like x 2
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I agree with your points. But I think the blm stuff is a much larger turnoff than you think. Right now you have no fans in the stands. You should be able to get the fan who pays to go to the games to tune in. I am not sure that person is even tuning in right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    @TheGator show me one study, evaluation, analysis or whatnot that indicates that ratings are down because of BLM. Not some dude's opinion. No simple correlation. Not the typical simpleton, imbecilic, moronic association. If you can't, then I propose that rating are down because I missed a putt on 18 last week. Prove me wrong.

I will say the conclusions of the writer you so eagerly shared is viewing the world through racist glasses. For shame.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I watched Miami beat Boston tonight and have watched a few other games recently, certainly more than usual. The BLM namestuff doesn't bother me, but I would prefer it to have been for a few games not the whole season. I'd like to know who some of these guys are making insane shots.

To me the NBA and especially the MLB games are just weird with no fans, masks, fear of the seasons ending early. and some players opting out. I appreciate the effort, but it's a bastardized version of the sports. Hard to see how anyone can draw any serious conclusions.
    Usually the people complaining the most about players are the ones that never watch anyway.

14. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Isn't that the issue at hand here? No one is watching these games.

The question now is why aren't people watching these games? Did sports become less important as an "unintended consequence" of Covid-19? Are people not watching because of the protests? Is it the lack of fans or the half ass seasons?

15. gator10010

Aug 23, 2008
    If we are being fair Tebow was basically "banned" from the NFL the same way Kapernick was "banned" from the NFL.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. gator10010

Aug 23, 2008
    I watch sports for the entertainment and escape sports provides. This year just seems like a melting pot of reasons why I am not enthusiastic about tuning into games.

The shortened seasons is definitely one reason. In college football where the SEC is only going to play 10 conference games is somewhat of a letdown that UF won't be playing FSU this year. It just doesn't feel normal.

No fans is odd. The whole cardboard cutout is a clever marketing ploy it's weird. Players opting out of seasons, games delayed because of positive test results and then throw in all the political protests it just doesn't feel entertaining and it definitely isn't an escape. The champions of these seasons will always have an asterisk by this year's title.

We know once these seasons starts these teams will have outbreaks of coronavirus. So either play the game the way it's meant to be played or don't but this half ass attempt at saving sports is leaving me with an I don't give a s#!t attitude towards sports.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    All art is political. You may not always see it, but it is always political.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Watch your spelling. Moses might come down from the mountain to chastise you for invoking Ba'al too many times.

19. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Still not quite accurate. One thing we might not realize is that it's going to be a lot easier to hear concussions and profanity in real time.

Go back and watch any big hits we've had (dbs on wrs, lbs on rbs, or a lot of sacks), substitute the cheers with an uncomfortable popping sound.

20. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    If we're being fair, Tebow had it worse. Though they've made some disingenuous maneuvers, the NFL created many more opportunities for Kapernick to return than they did for Tebow.

• Agree Agree x 1