Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College Football and NFL take note

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    They're cutting their own throats and I've reached the point where I hope they succeed.

2. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it will be difficult to draw any conclusions about college and pro sports popularity this year (and perhaps next year as well), based solely on TV ratings. The ratings could be down, or up (see: European soccer) due to a multitude of factors. Blaming it on any one issue, or trying to decide what causes the increase or decrease in ratings, is a fool's errand at this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    a majority of Americans support the statement Black Lives Matter but I guarantee you the majority wouldn’t support the platform if they were given a copy. At least not privately.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For me real change is not painting BLM on the court on having it on the back of a jersey.

However, not sure why seeing it on the court would turn off some fans.

I haven't been watching much of the NBA because it looks like Summer League instead of NBA basketball.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. interrygator

interrygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Logic 101: just because two things happen, it does not mean that one thing caused the other. I was curious about the article you relied upon to support your argument. Specifically, I noticed the lack of American spelling in the article. It turns out that the article you cite was written by Indians in India about the NBA and MLB. What the hell do they know about it? Did the author survey American fans about why they aren't watching NBA and MLB? Maybe, just maybe, Americans are too preoccupied with other issues to watch sports with no fans that may or may not count and may or may not be completed. I only casually watched the Orlando Magic the other night. It just doesn't seem that important right now. I have watched a lot of the MLS is Back tournament. They are all kneeling. But, it just doesn't feel like a regular season. But, Orlando City is kicking butt, so I'm watching. From that, I guess the boys in India would conclude that I refuse to support kneeling basketball players, but I love kneeling soccer players. I am thinking of writing an article about how the decrease in cricket revenues is caused by the recent increase in the number of people misled by unsubstantiated propaganda. Both are happening. Clearly one is causing the other. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I thought righties call that cancel culture.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Good thinking! So all those college kids who play sports hoping to turn pro can find something else to do, too!

8. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    Cancel culture (also known as call-out culture) describes a form of boycott in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – either online on social media, in the real world, or both. They are said to be "canceled".[6] The notion of cancel culture is a variant on the term "call-out culture", and constitutes a form of boycott involving an individual (usually a celebrity) who has acted or spoken in a questionable or controversial manner.[7][8][9][10][11] Thus, according to Lisa Nakamura, professor of media studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, "cancel culture" can be described as "cultural boycott", in which the act of depriving someone of attention deprives them of their livelihood.[11]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Seems like that is what you just advocated

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles

I didn’t see anywhere where it said a business like TNT or ESPN or their sponsors in the wiki explanation.

11. Potzer01

Potzer01 Premium Member

Mar 26, 2008
    And now, Atlanta
    Haven't watched the NBA in decades because its not fun, not because of politics.

Give us Brady and Manning playing golf again, that was solid gold and I don't watch the pga.

12. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Personally, I respect the heck out of what athletes can do on the field but at the same time, I could care a less about hearing LeBron James or Drew Brees opinions on issues outside sports. That said, while these are going to be “asterisk” seasons for sure, it’s still great that sports are back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I have no use for professional sports. The politics, the kneeling and the NBA's relationship with China. ESPN has gone right back to their political crap. I have found during these past months that family life is much more important and I really don't need a bunch of professional over paid political cry babies to entertain me.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. emmitt22

emmitt22 Sophomore

Jul 25, 2020
    From a Forbes article today:

On July 24th, ESPN’s coverage of Major League Baseball’s opening day featured a marquee prime-time matchup between the New York Yankees and the Washington Nationals. The game drew an average total audience of 4.005 million viewers and finished as the fourth-highest-rated show on television that night. But Fox’s Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight both beat the big game, with Hannity taking first place in all of television with 4.340 million viewers, followed by CBS’ prime-time show Young Sheldon (4.111 million viewers) and Tucker Carlson Tonight(4.016 million).

When basketball returned to prime-time last Thursday night, TNT expected a big audience for the thrilling showdown between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers—and they got it. Drawing 3.4 million total viewers, the game more than doubled TNT’s average viewership for a regular season NBA broadcast. And yet even LeBron James leading the Lakers to a narrow victory wasn’t enough to beat Fox News Channel’s Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight, which delivered 4 million and 3.8 million viewers respectively, according to ratings data compiled by Nielsen.

Big Sports Fail To Deliver As Fox News Tops Summer TV Ratings

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I’m not watching basketbaal or basebaal this year. I’m on the fence about footbaal.

16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Correlation does not equal causation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Yet I'll bet you're entertained by one particular overpaid political crybaby who bitches and moans on Twitter all day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020

Interesting, more people are watching Hannity and Tucker than are watching the return of baseball or basketball and Hannity was the most watched TV show on TV, cable or not. That has got to be a first. People are really tuning the TV off. Love to see the advertising rates for all the programs listed to see which advertisers are getting their money's worth.

19. sflagator

sflagator Premium Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    All I will say before this thread is locked is that television ratings are not the be-all, end-all of moral accounting. You could theoretically do some thing that is the right thing to do, lose television ratings, piss people off, and it will still be the right thing to do.

in other words, who cares about ratings? Maybe the message is more important - if people tune out because they want to avoid it that's their prerogative, but that doesn't make it any less important to deliver the message. I'm not religious, but I understand that Jesus's message in his time wasn't super popular either, had it been on TV it probably would have lost ratings.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I agree. The question is whether we have passed a point of no return.

I stopped watching NBA years ago. I might as well have just watched pro wrestling the way the refs call the games and favor players/teams.

I backed off the NFL a few years ago, mainly because it was no fun and also I think the requirement for a”football move” to differentiate a catch/no catch is ridiculous. I also don’t like the phony rules about safety. There have been soft covers for helmets for years that significantly reduce head injuries. The NFL(and NCAA) could use them if they wanted, but they don’t because they don’t look good on TV. To me, either your serious about safety or your not. They are not willing to diminish style in the name of safety.

That has left me with NCAA Football and Basketball and the MLB. So far I haven’t been able to get into the empty stadium MLB.

I watch sports as an escape. I need it to be just that. I have plenty of options if I want political opinion. I don’t want to have to listen to it during sports.

• Agree Agree x 1