Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College Football and NFL take note

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Aug 3, 2020.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Come on, ratings will never suffer. Everyone loves politics shoved down their throats at every bleeping turn! :confused:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Most of the people I associate with are really turned off by celebrities right now. No one likes to be told by Holly wierdos how they should think and that if you don't think like them you are racist and or stupid. Atheletes have and are now moving into the same category. Someone above mentioned about kneeling for the Anthem. You may think they are making one statement but many others believe they are making a statement against the nation period. You may consider your self more informed or educated but that proves my point, so called "woke people" can be big turn offs.
    I go to a certain sports bar fairly often. Sports are on, very few watching from what I can tell. They are there to drink and talk, not watch the games.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bofud

bofud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Happened to the Academy Awards. I used to look forward to it and watch it every year. Then they got political. Ratings plunged. I haven’t watched in years.

Entertainment is a diversion from politics. If you start combining them, you will pay the consequences from a ratings standpoint. It’s that simple.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Everyone just assumed that we were so sports deprived that people who never watch the NBA or MLB would suddenly tune in. That didn't happen so they pin it on kneeling.

6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is not like these sports are on the major networks during the week. ESPN and TNT are doing basketball I know. I assume ESPN is doing some baseball. You would think ESPN would have a live game on at every opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think the thing they don’t understand is that for a lot of people it is about the country.

meaning you can claim the protest is about something all you want, but the way you are going about it tells some people something else.

For some, it’s like burning the flag. there are a million ways to protest or spread a message, this is one of those that’s a deal breaker for a lot of folks that no explanation will suffice.

for me, personally, I am tired of what I will refer to as the “useless gesture” crowd. Liking something on Facebook, kneeling for the anthem, wearing a colored ribbon, etc., don’t do jack.

real change takes work. Something very few are willing to do.

so, I am becoming more and more like George Carlin as I get older. I sort of sit and watch all this from afar and gain amusement from people going through the motions pretending they are doing something.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Where do you puke when they do the tomahawk chop?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. FloridaGator80

FloridaGator80 of the Gator Nation VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Obviously I can't say for sure, but I'd believe one component in lesser ratings would be twofold -- 1) we've been without the usual cycle of sports ... seasons ending; seasons starting; regular practices; the usual cycles of news out of each sport, etc. and 2) and because of No. 1 and no fans, the games now are just, well, different. It could be that some folks want a regular season in the future and don't see today's efforts as being in someway real.

It's kind of like when I gave up watching the news on TV a few years ago. I was in the news business for 30 years and was always a news junkie. However, I got sick-and-tired of the 24/7 crap being shoveled out on a dozen stations ... each trying to outdo the other in conflict, contentious behavior and name-calling. So, with the exception of scanning headlines online every once in a while to keep current, I don't watch any more and haven't missed it one iota. Maybe some folks will just need time to come back to watch the games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Ratings are down because there are a billion HD streaming sites to pirate games from for free. ...so I heard ;) No one has to buy the NHL, NBA or MLB passes anymore to watch their team.

The opening ESPN baseball game was their highest rated in years FWIW.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think what annoys me even more than the chop is the playing of what I refer to as "FSU Indian music" over the stadium PA system. Extremely irritating. The Kansas City Chiefs do the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Eh, I don't really follow pro sports anymore, either, so I can't weigh in... only follow the NFL with a passing interest. I'd rather watch a college baseball or softball series than an NBA game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    maybe, but I’m shocked by the low ratings myself.

there are people out there binge watching “Alf” for crying out loud. You’d figure when sports can back, people would be flocking to it in record numbers not low numbers

14. jmvgators85

jmvgators85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The only reason I am watching the NBA now is because of the BLM movement and the show of unity by the players. The social injustice in this country and around the world is despicable. Everyone is a human being, treat them like one

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Delta club tix. They provide stainless steel puke buckets.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. BCNGator99

BCNGator99 Premium Member

Jan 5, 2010
    The players and the leagues can do this but they will be taking a big risk financially. I believe the NFL lost 20% in ratings during its kneeling season. If the leagues are OK with losing 20% to 30% of their revenues, they can do it. However, they cannot complain if people choose not to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Emaness

Emaness Premium Member

Aug 13, 2016
    This is funny. Ratings aren't down because the social justice stuff.. well, maybe some people are out on it because of that. But I am a huge basketball fan who isn't bothered by the messaging, and it just doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's the empty arena, maybe it's the knowledge that at any time it could get shut back down. Personally, I think it's the lack of home games. Think about it-- wouldn't you expect Gators ratings to dip if The Swamp went away? No more sunshine band, no more "duuhhhhhn, da-dun-dun, duuuhnn!!!!" when the other team commits a penalty, no scenic shots of campus, no one talking about how tough it is to play. It messes with the way people identify with the team. Take away all the stuff that looks and sounds familiar, and it starts to feel less like YOUR team and more like A team. Anyway, I think the ratings dip is a healthy mix of all these things. But people will focus on the thing that confirms their own politics, because humans.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ufgator84

ufgator84 Unstable Genius and H.A.M. VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The ratings being affected by protests is way overblown.

It's more about being gone for 4 months, a weird bubble atmosphere, and no live fans.

This article is off base, IMO.

Wait until the next season for the NBA, Hockey, and other sports when the bubble in some form may have to be used again, or at least discussed seriously. Hopefully not, but it's possible.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. ufgator84

ufgator84 Unstable Genius and H.A.M. VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    And that's fine. People don't have to watch. I choose to.....and will attend college football games if at all possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The fair-weather NBA fan doesn't watch until the playoffs, which begins Aug 17th. The ratings will be more telling later in August.