Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College Football and NFL take note

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by TheGator, Aug 3, 2020.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah baby!! We need to put these people in their places. They can play ball and make a pile of money, but when they start asking for racial equality, they are crossing the line. I’m with you brother. Let’s hit ‘em in the pocketbook.

• Winner x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I could never get into pro sports, especially on TV. My company gives me access to incredible seats at the braves games, I used it every now and then for customers, but mostly just let my friends use them.

3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Legend

Jul 4, 2020
    Nonsensical theorem. MLB regular season ratings are always about the same as non-majors golf. The first games back had good ratings.

Don't know enough about NBA ratings to speak to those.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah, the protests are what hurt the ratings.

download.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    What people Tampa?

I'm referring to the NBA on TNT and MLB on ESPN.

now about your last comment:

Let’s hit ‘em in the pocketbook

It ok for the left to boycott certain businesses like Chick-fil-A or boycott sponsors of Conservative TV personalities but it's not ok hit progressives entities like TNT and ESPN in the pocketbook?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The NBA is basically trying to make up the rest of their season by playing as many games as possible in a short time span. Its oversaturation, and many of the games now don't mean much. I think once they start the playoffs where the games mean something (and there are fewer games, and more in prime time) ratings will be more solid.

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Personally, I think it is those folks who are not standing for the National Anthem. You would think they can't think for themselves.

Or is that a cardboardman argument?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is an obvious lack of evidence to support causality here. I was expecting some quantitative analysis based on polls and viewership statistics and whatnot. Also, are ratings really at an all time low?

Here is an alternative take with actual viewers statistics...

"With both Major League Baseball and the NBA returning to action recently, the two leagues have continued a trend that started with the return of sports post-coronavirus stoppages: skyrocketing television ratings. Both leagues have seen healthy increases in ratings, a sign that people are currently starved for sports content across the board."

TV Ratings Unsurprisingly Skyrocket With Return of Sports

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I bet they have an infinite increase in their TV ratings.

Think about it. Stats are for losers.

10. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    As an aside the NBA allowing players to wear messaging on their uniforms instead of their names was a terrible choice. I'm a slightly above casual NBA fan and I have no idea who most of these players are now. Like a guy makes a good play and the back of his jersey says "Equality" on it, and I have no clue what player that was unless it is a star player.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So, in other words, getting rid of systemic racism is just a progressive cause?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    Again - what people are you referring to?

What about the pocketbook statement?

13. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I don't know that it's about BLM or the fact that watching without fans is just weird. But I do think that at least a percentage of the viewership considers these statement to be telling them they are privileged assholes -- whether that is the intent or not -- and I could see that being a turnoff.

But mostly it's the sanitary nature of the events so far. No energy, no real stakes yet. Maybe it will get more fun when the playoffs actually start.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mrgator

mrgator Premium Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I don't mind athletes having strong opinions about life, politics etc. Heck...I'm just an average joe and I definitely have a very high soap box with which to bloviate. Having said that, I have a strict policy in my office when treating patients that I do not like to talk politics or religion. They are there for health care not to hear me opine about the "mask or no mask" state of the world. I prefer sports to be the same. If Lebron holds a press conference and speaks his mind about world politics then good for him. If I have to watch two hours of privileged athletes running around with political statements on their jerseys or "pig cop" references on their socks then I'm not going to watch.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. jpgator

jpgator Premium Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Got any evidence to back up "television audience doesn’t care about BLM and social injustice"? A majority of Americans support BLM, according to polls. And the vast majority of college and professional football players do also. If it offends you that players kneel during the national anthem, and you don't take the time or trouble to understand why, nobody is forcing you to watch.

• Agree x 3
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  17. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it is possible to both agree with the message and not want it as part of the sport or sports broadcast.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes, but it offers that player the opportunity to later change his name to "The NBA Player Formerly Known as Equality."

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Chantweaver

Chantweaver Premium Member

May 7, 2008
    People are spending money on things like Boats, RVs, bikes and other outdoor family activities. Boat and RV sales are up +300% over the last few months. Yes it has to do with social justice a little bit, but more about doing things with family and friends that do not rely on selfish athletes. Also if you are on a boat with family less chance of covid. In an RV less chance then getting on a plane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. jpgator

jpgator Premium Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Sports has always been at the forefront of political/race relations. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball is Exhibit A. The SEC didn't have any black football players until 1967. There was a time when blacks were considered unqualified (not smart enough!) to play quarterback in football. Now a black is the #1 QB in the NFL. Those and other advancements were precursors of broader changes in society as a whole.

• Winner Winner x 3