Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College bias reporting survey

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WC53, Mar 19, 2021.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Wait a minute. There’s a labor union for college professors??? Holy shit that’s ridiculous

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's an absurd proposal and assault on academic freedom--which is exactly one of the reasons tenure is necessary.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why is it more ridiculous than any other public union?

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Biased professors aren't the problem. Exposure to different ideas should be part of a university education. A system that only allows liberally biased professors is the problem.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Except that the "system" doesn't only allow liberal professors and students are by and large exposed to ideas that have scientific merit/empirical validity but also to ones that don't, mainly as counter points.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    What a crock. Keep your dumb beliefs out of the classroom and you will have no issues. They can't get fired for it anyway since it's a free speech issue at a state university.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the issue is with who decides if you have or have not kept your beliefs out of the classroom. I don’t want a central committee making any kind of decision like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009
    So these days, what constitutes political bias? Believing in evolution? Believing in climate change? Not believing the election was a giant sham? Dismissing Jewish lasers?

I get that there is a lot of idiocy going on at college campuses but this proposal is not the way to go about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    What central committee? It says they are implementing surveys among the students and allowing the students to record the classes for use as evidence if they have a complaint. It's a two way street here. The professors have free speech rights, but to the extent that their bias impacts their ability to do their job then that's also a problem and victimizes the students. Honestly I don't remember any professors going off on politics in the classroom when I was at UF other than one history professor that was a bit too lenient on Ho Chi Min. But that was like one statement in one lecture. Maybe times have changed though as it's hard to go anywhere without people wanting to spew political theories at you these days? Honestly I don't know what comes out of this because like I said they can't be fired for those statements. Maybe they get reassigned if enough students have a problem with their bias and it affects teaching and grades? In any case there is likely a problem if more than 50% of the students rate the professor badly in terms of respecting the student's speech.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Potzer01

Potzer01 VIP Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    Otherize, otherize the teachers, otherize the students. Feels like classic divide and conquer. Remember when disagreeing was just fine?

14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually it depends. By the time I transferred to UWF, I located all of the tenured professors in my degree and tried to avoid them. You have to research them and ask other students what they thought because many tenured professors are crappy teachers. They are untouchable so therefore don't care. I had one professor who taught managerial finance and CIS majors had to take the class and if he knew you were a CIS major, you wouldn't finish with anything higher than a C. That was the only course that I had finished with a D. Nothing I could do but take it and move on. There were 2 other tenured professors who were sexist that one purposely gave an A- to a woman who until then aced every course. He scored on a curve and set hers at an A- even though she aced everything. She fought it and lost. But the most issues I have with them is they tend to focus on research and have their grad assistants teach the course. I found that the best professors are those trying to earn tenure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    So true. I left UF firmly Republican and received no brainwashing for my Finance degree.

At Northwestern for my MBA there were some firmly liberal and firmly conservative professors.

Only one came out and flatly stated that he hated democrats. He was cool though. Taught the 6PM "People side of Private Equity", provided refreshments in every class and it was just a random barroom chat with smart folks. Wasn't much scientific merit/empirical validity in that class, but it was fun.

• Like Like x 1
  16. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    This is bullshit. I just had a friend, a good instructor, get pushback for teaching mindfulness. Apparently to the Uber religious any exercise where you try to clear your mind and focus that isn’t prayer is a sin because of connections between mindfulness and more eastern traditions. You pass this law people will be in front of tribunals for stupid shit like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Thankfully religion is fading. Unfortunately it seems to be the more ridiculous Faith's that are hanging on the best.

18. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    If there is no decision-making body, then to whom are making the complaint?

And while you remember only one professor going off on politics, the bill says “political bias,” which seems much more subtle. And what is bias to one person is truth to another, so every complain of bias would be colored by the bias of the student. And every evaluation of the biased claim of bias would be colored by the bias of the administrator or politician or whoever is going to evaluate these things.

If this is just about respecting speech, I agree with you that the evaluation is appropriate. However, this certainly doesn’t seem to be the only ends here:

19. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    I should also mention that the state of Florida already mandates that all instructors be anonymously evaluated by students. The exact wording of the evaluations differs among SUS universities, but ours at USF has a specific question about respecting students. And I’m pretty sure all of them have space for free responses from students. The chair of the department reviews these evals every year, so IMO, if 50% of a class thinks their professor doesn’t respect their views, the administration would already be aware of this via the current evaluation system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The dying religion gasping for air and trying to drown the rest of us isnt Christianity it’s Conservatism.

My oldest finished UF as a religious conservative 2 years ago with no issues. Like many kids with wind at his back he thinks his substantial success is all on his own (he works hard) and that he’d overcome any obstacles so why can’t others? He’s so cute. He’ll grow out of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1