Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

College basketball's future

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratorGator, Apr 12, 2019.

1. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Personally I am disillusioned with the one-and-done programs, transfers and so forth. I guess that's just the way it is evolving. Still I feel less warmth toward our program when guys are floating in and out. They don't seem to be in it for the Gators as much as themselves.

What....4 transfers and one declared for the draft this year alone? Where's the loyalty? Just saying it's difficult to get behind any team when the players are coming and going.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    College basketball as we know it, a collegiate amateur sport is well on the way to morphing into something completely different. Pro sports and money interests will ultimately tear the amateur completely out of the equation.

It sucks because everything will be tailored to the 1-2% of the athletes that are projected to be good enough to go pro. To hell with the other 98%.

Personally, if it were up to me, I say let em go direct to the pro's from HS or even Jr High. let the NBA set up a "Jr-Pro" league. I would be just fine watching 3 or 4 star players sans the 5 star pro types.

The NBA needs to be out of the collegiate game, the money hounds will never stop, the corruption will never stop. It's patently unfair for the game to be whored out for the sake of a very small %.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    It has certainly transitioned from college athletics and amateur athletes to free agency and a pro development league in the last few years

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    College basketball is not going anywhere. It's sad to find out about all the cheating, but that's likely been going on for decades. To the OP, did you go to UF (not trying to presume, but asking hypothetically) to contribute to program XYZ, or did you go to get an education for yourself?
    I went for my education.

Now, what we should be talking about, is another great college sport . . . hockey! And speaking of which, go Bulldogs!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

Great win last night, I was on the edge of my seat until the two empty netters. Third final game in a row and a chance to go back-to-back. I hate that I'm saying this, for obvious reasons, but GO DAWGS! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I really try to get my head around to feeling your sentiments (which I believe most people on here share with you). On the other hand, I wish that collectively us fans would wish these players well and make the decisions that makes THEM happy. They could flip it and say where's the loyalty to them? We love and praise them during recruiting, but as soon as they make a decision they feel is in their best interest, they're labeled as not being loyal.

I do believe Andrew will be back. I haven't looked lately, but I don't recall him being on anyone's top 60 list.

We could also ask where was BillyD's loyalty when he left us with a lackluster roster. Where was Coach Mullen's loyalty to Miss State, Coach White to his previous stop. Where's my loyalty to the public accounting firm I left last year, and so on and so on. We all have to do what we believe is in our best interest. Sometimes it's a good move, sometimes it's not.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Hockey: what you watch when there are no basketball games on.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. traveling gator

traveling gator Freshman

Mar 7, 2017
    While it sucks to only know the players for a year or two, I totally get it. I was a business major at UF and if someone had offered me the chance to leave school and make at least $900,000 as a 19 year old, I’m out. You can always go back to school but you never know if that offer will come again. Of course you need to make sure the people around you are giving you sound advice but that’s a must for anyone whether they play basketball or play accountant.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't believe any athlete owes a debt of loyalty to UF or any school, not at all. What bothers me is the laughable pretense of "student-athlete" for so many kids in the moneymaking sports (football and basketball), and the low priority for higher education and finishing a degree. If American universities continue to insist that athletics are an effective and cost-efficient way to market their schools, then fine, convert your football and men's hoops program into pure paid entertainment, utilizing the brainpower and infrastructure you have built up over decades. Save athletic scholarships for sports that don't churn out professional athletes and wannabes, whose participants really need to earn the degree to create a future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Au contraire, it's spring. My grass is now growing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I get the angst. I wish it weren't this way. I will get to the heart of it all: IF the NBA - the players union and the owners - got behind a real minor league, and the fans paid to see it, then college basketball could go the way of baseball and you could be a student athlete for a minimum of 3 years or you could go pro immediately.

Now to what got us here. IMO it is all about too much money chasing after too few quality players and what I mean is we have too many teams, which waters down the teams. If they lost say 4 teams, those players would compete with others to stay in the major leagues and it would not place so much pressure on getting the next HS phenom. As long as HS talent can make a HUGE earning (I realize many are poor to begin with and anything to them can be huge) there will be people willing to "game the system."

Unfortunately, I don't see anything close to wanting to right the ship. And yes, if a NASA offered me BIG bucks to stop getting an engineering degree from UF, I would have left in a heartbeat. Sorry but we can't have it both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    The ultimate end of college is a better paying job. Can't stop kids from taking a job or business working with the colleges to get well trained employees.
    We wouldn't want to indenture players for entertainment, right.

The problem is the fan base and Atheletic Department. Fans demanding a winner, coaches feeling pressure to bring in transient players to keep their huge income secure and ADs swimming in money if the team is a winner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    UMD Bulldogs
    Three NCAA DI championship games in a row.
    Back-to-back champions (first since Denver 04-05)
    Complete domination in the Frozen Four this year
    Third hockey national championship for UMD

P.S. Suck it rserina! :ninja3:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I'm one of the few who likes things they way they are now in college football and basketball, and I would like the basketball situation even more if the NBA required players to wait 2 years out of high school. I don't really buy the implication I see here a lot that there was some kind of "golden age" of college sports where all the scholarship athletes had to have the academic skills and performance of "regular" students. And we all know that at least back to the 60's, big-time schools in the sports of football and basketball were giving out illegal inducements to get great players into their programs.

So, I'm always puzzled that so many want basketball to follow the baseball model. I've always been a much bigger fan of football and basketball than baseball so perhaps my perception is skewed. But, isn't college baseball a lot less popular than college football and basketball?

And, when/if basketball players are allowed (to try) to go to the NBA right after high school, it will be much more of a talent drain on college basketball than it has been for baseball.

Hey, I'll watch and support Gator athletics regardless of whether it's a B or C league or whatever. But, my days of watching any other schools play each other when college basketball is reduced to a B-league will probably be over. When I don't have a personal investment in a game (i.e., UF or a family member or friend is playing), I generally only watch sports where the best are playing the best. Maybe most people aren't that way, but if a lot of people are, I hope college basketball will be ready for much smaller tv audiences, ext.

16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that if college basketball players owe any loyalty at all it should be first to their teammates and then to their coaches. The school and its fans are much less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One difference, NASA doesn't hire want to be engineers in college on potential. Either way I agree with you and just stirring the pot. I do think many changes need to happen or its not getting any better unless the system decides it needs changing.

18. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Crazy to think the only players we seem to have coming back are Johnson, Locke, Bassett, Stokes, probably Nembhard and maybe Gak. That's it, all others either finished eligibility, have transferred out or entered the transfer portal. That's only 6 out of 13, maybe. If this is a microcosm of the future of college basketball, its not going to be around very long. We can't expect all teams to dump and reload over half their team every year and expect the fans to keep interest. Even GC has Kentucky fans on here that are done with what they have become.
    If players can jump ship cause they are not playing and the system gives them access, we might as well get use to losing anyone that's not a starter or in rehab. The NBA will need to ask them self, will this put a shock to their system and reduce the overall developmental talent for their own future or only advance the hand full of first round lottery picks that only seem to matter? If the talent level goes down in college basketball then the NBA talent will follow in the years to come.

19. GratorGator

GratorGator All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Well said.

20. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I won't try to change your mind. Your reasons for supporting your chosen team/sport is up to you.

What I want to point out to you is, you are wanting a "quality" team/sport to support. I guess I would ask, what exactly is the definition of a "quality" team/sport? Baseball does not apparently fit because...you don't like the game or because the college game pales in comparison to the pros? How about tennis? The pros are WAY better. Same as golf.

To me, I like the idea of rooting for a team I have an attachment to. And I do project myself on the team and players but it is still about I see them as college kids. The moment I think they are merely hired guns masquerading as students, something is lost. And yes, in the olden days, basketball had guys lasting until they were 4 years in the system whether they needed the seasoning or not. But if they are a LeBron, they should NOT be expected to lose revenue for our cheering. Let then move on in their lives.

I just think it silly to have alumni supporting their teams when all you had are/were one-and-dones. No one wins in that scenario IMO. Will the quality drop if basketball follows baseball? Yep, no question it will. But they will be mostly "like me" and that is okay by me.

You just have to decide what is okay by you.