Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coaching Changes and Recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Dec 8, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Anything there for us or are we basically full?

I still wonder if we took a few too soon.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What’s FAU thinking? Taggart’ debacle so fresh and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Smith is a 3* OG who has questions on qualifying. As for Sims, I think UF is happy with just AR this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I would use Toney as our 4th qb. Right now we have more needs than qb. We seem to have more of a need for db's and safeties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    Why do we need 4 scholarship quarterbacks?

7. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Only 3 scholly QBs is risky. One guy goes down for the year -- which is not uncommon it happened at Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina and Bama this year just in the SEC -- and you are all of a sudden looking at just 2 QBs and quite possibly having to tweak your play calling to avoid another injury.

I believe you shoot for 3 scholly QBs on the roster who are upper classmen and ready to play (or one of those 3 a superstar younger guy capable of playing in year 1 or 2), plus 1 or 2 more scholly guys with real potential who are under development for the future as a starter or key backup. That is of course in an ideal world and the landscape has changed so much with the transfer portal.

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    when Trask went down in the Auburn game and we didn’t know that he was coming back, that was nerve racking watching EJ run. He did great but we were one hit away from who playing qb?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Hearing fsu fans are upset that Norvell is bringing Fuller from Memphis as DC. Anyone have an account over there?

10. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I could not bring myself to do something that dirty and repugnant..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

They thought there were getting Dan Lanning from UGA, whom had worked previously for Norvell.

12. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    You're correct, so much happening so fast.

13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    They are, but Lanning was basically never in the picture more than a quick convo with Norvell to politely turn him down. Lanning wanted nothing to do with that mess at fsu, and that's according to an UGA buddy of mine who shares a mutual hate for everything fsu.

Now from an fsu buddy, they weren't happy about Norvell bringing in a DC with no P5 cred, but money is also an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I'm good with it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I was thrilled to hear that Norvell was bringing his DC from Memphis over with him. There defensive performance has been underwhelming and Lanning would have been an excellent hire.

16. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    The fact we have to ask, and probably go look up for many people, says all we need to know. If you bring in someone who most fans haven't even heard of, that is probably a bad sign.

I think Toney was still hurt, so I believe it would have been Nick Sproles? or is it Sprowles?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    I would imagine to try and get good recruits for the next coach in two years?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    Also, we dont want another QB brought in or we fa e EJ transferring. With only one behind him whi will most likely redshirt, the team is EJ's in 2021 assuming he doesnt beat Trask in spring.

If we bring in two qbs in this class and EH feels unloved, then we are screwed in 2021 when we have to play a freshman with no game experience if note... ala Franks.

19. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I doubt Jones would worry about a second QB recruit. He will have had three years learning under Mullen once Trask graduates and be ready to go as a starter. A transfer would be a different story, but I doubt Mullen would take a transfer QB unless something was not going well with Jones in his development (and all signs suggest that is not the case Jones looks like the QB of the future). I tend to think Jones will see more action next year and be very prepared to take over the starting role in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I anticipate Jones getting about a third playing time which keeps him in the fold and prepares him to take over the following year. Trask is not the kind of person that would resent the added time Jones will have. IMO for UF to go forward, a transition has to be made. It will be imperative that Jones continues to improve and get comfortable throwing the ball. And I believe he will. Furthermore, we won't have the same quality of wr's next year so our running game will have to improve by a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1