Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coaching Carousel - Let’s say Mullen had stayed at Florida one more year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Definitely. Assuming this alternate history played out and Driskel still came to UF, I think Mullen would have made Driskel into a top-tier SEC quarterback. Driskel was listed as a 4-star pro-style QB, but he has shown that he was a willing runner. He was similar in size as Tebow. When he got to LA Tech, his passer rating jumped up from an average of about 130 to 154. I think Mullen would have him at a similar or better passer rating, but with a lot more rushing yards.

2. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I think that Driskel was the practically perfect Mullen QB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Depending on the recruiting service, Driskel was a 4* or a 5* and with nearly 1300yds rushing his senior year, he was absolutely a dual threat QB. I watched him manhandle eventual state champion Lakeland in the playoffs. He was a one man wrecking crew on the ground and with long passes. But as a one man crew, he just wasn't enough to beat the Dreadnaughts by himself. But he absolutely gave them all they wanted and then some.

I believe he would have been the QB we all expected had Mullen been his coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Good post

5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Except for that trivial little thing about cheating on exams.....

Cam Newton, however gifted physically, is an asshole, and so is his crooked father who got money funneled to him via bogus church donations. Everybody involved in that entire scam can kiss my ass.

From the perspective of personal integrity, Cam Newton couldn’t carry Jeff Driskel’s jock strap.

6. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Without a doubt...

7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Remember Foley did not like Mullen and bypassed him in his coaching searches in the past. Not sure he would have hired Mullen to succeed Urban, if Mullen has stayed at UF until Urban resigned. Offense would have been much better however. In reality, Gators would have been much stronger with Strong or Mullen rather than Muschamp and Mac

8. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I just looked up Jeff's stats in that playoff game against Lakeland to make sure my memory wasn't embellishing his performance. He was 13/25 for 173yds 3 TD 1 int passing, 257yds (!) 2 TD rushing, and even caught a 58yd TD pass.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    What a wasted talent, and compromised career, thanks to Muschamp. Really really sad

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Muschamp seemingly did everything in his power to ruin Driskel. I felt so bad for that kid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    LA Tech helped him, so don't feel too bad. Seems to be doing well for himself now.