Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coaching and Recruiting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATOR_4Life, Nov 4, 2019.

1. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    This is why I don't watch anymore. Until we are able to play by the same rules as others, I will continue to preserve my sanity. :mad:

2. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Is anyone arguing against that? The context of this thread is recruiting elite football talent and whatever reputation we have is putting us in tier #2.

3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    All true. Well said. And, someone finally got the 4-7 record right... everybody including ESPN says we were 4-8 in McElwain's last year.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. EbSaxman

EbSaxman VIP Member

Apr 14, 2007
    With the transfer portal in effect I think you’ll see the 5* talent all flocking to the same handful of teams. Before, the best players had to factor in competition for spots. Now, they battle it out with elite coaching and worst case scenario they lose out to another 5* and transfer to another option. Now that they are figuring it out, expect to see the 4* rated players following suit. This transfer thing has completely changed recruiting for good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Nick and Spivey blasted him and his staff for last week and brought up a good point that next years team looks a lot worse than this one.

this team looked tight, the coaches looked tight, and with mediocre recruiting there is no way this staff can overcome the top teams in the sec.

How do coaches struggle to get plays in during game nine? What is that clock management in the 4th quarter? How does the defense blow that coverage in the 4th quarter?

this staff is ok. Better than the last two. But they ain’t winning the sec without help/lots of luck. Perennial #3 or #4 in the sec right now best case.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m slowly getting close to that myself - not there yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Can it be done, sure. If we could predict the future, we'd be able to assemble the greatest football team of all time with nothing but 3 star recruits. But every recruit is a gamble, even the 5-stars....they just happen to be better gambles.

But more to the point of the article, there is reason to doubt Dabo could have done what he has if he played an SEC schedule, if only because you don't get as many easy matchups where starters can rest or heal. Even in the ACC he couldn't have done it without some uber-talented heisman level (and highly rated) QBs. Of course we can't run those counterfactuals, so we may need to just leave it as a disagreement, but it's got to be fair to question why Clemson is a good example.

Anybody who's ready to give up on the Dan Mullen experiment needs to have their head examined. The man is an excellent head coach, everybody should be able to see paths to success. BUT it is fair to look ahead and say some changes need to be made to raise the probability of winning the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

No. You don’t pass the ball on 4th and inches, particularly on your opening drive. You put Trask under center and go over center for inches. Or he pitches it to Toney on a jet sweep. Or you put EJ in there and have him roll out on an option with a pitch man.

If you don’t think you can pick up inches on the ground you punt the damn thing and at least get ahead in the early field position battle.

Passing the ball on 4th and inches was immediately conceding to UGa that we can’t run on them. And failing to complete it gave them huge early momentum they never lost.

Terrible decision.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    At the pro level? Sure. But at the college level the last two were just as good and have the numbers and rings to back it up.

11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    If this crap keeps up (which I'm pretty sure it will), you'll get there. There's only so much one can take.

12. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Most of these kids' takes are suspect, but this guy gets it and is spot on.

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Huge props to your post. Really good. I do t have the answers but I share the pain.

Dan seems to have forgotten what made him great in 06.

14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t think Dan has forgotten anything.

His very mediocre o-line cannot open up even a crease for Perine or Pierce to gain a few yards.

He is down to a good, but one-dimensional QB.

His thin, and critically injured defense can’t stop a top tier team.

He couldn’t get many opportunities to get the ball on offense, and the crooked refs made multiple calls to slow him down when he did.

And with all this going against him, he lost to a more talented, deeper, and better team by 7 points. If the refs weren’t crooked it would have been less - maybe even gone into OT....maybe he might even have won.

Dan Mullen is fine.
    Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree but don’t want to argue. Clemson has had very good classes. Two recent classes had only like 14 and 17 commits and I will bet large money that’s because their roster was full. But those classes were still super talented. Our recruiting is not as good at key positions and you have to have some elite talent. Clemson has been landing elite difference makers for at least four classes. And, at this point, you can at least question whether or not our staff can get over the hump without elite talent. Clemson stayed in the game long enough to become better and better in the ACC while the conference languished. We won’t have that luxury. Also, what happened to and for Debo and staff will not happen here unless the staff is good enough to make that happen. Are they? We hope.

Mullen’s first class was too small and now we see transfers occurring. Not his fault and so be it. Our last class was good on NSD but decimated by NQs and cultural non-fits.

I think the Georgia game was winnable if staff had done the right things in the moment. I’m still at the first quarter 4th and inches in their territory where Dan apparently called a pass play to the sideline. Then at the post game says we wanted to get a lead and make them play from behind. Really? No shot? Who doesn’t want that? That was a sweep, reverse, or end around begging to be called. I’m not on the “Dan Mullen is the best playcaller” bandwagon at the moment and I bet a lot of the pundits that spoke for Dan pre georgia are not as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah we got robbed. Every time we took the lead the refs colluded to give it back to kirby and georgia. Maybe we win out and georgia loses two. They actually do play three capable teams.

17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We never had the lead. We did get outplayed by Georgia. But I basically agree with you.

I also still maintain that the first big nail in our coffin was Mullen’s awful decision to throw on 4th and inches on our opening drive. We never really recovered from that momentum killer.

18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    When Richt was at georgia I think they won the East twice. My recollection is they backed into it both times. Maybe we do too. Fine with me. They have a tougher finishing schedule than but get Missouri and A&M at home. I expect them to play all-world and I remember how back then we were hoping Auburn would win to clinch the East for us. Never happened. But maybe this time. kirby deserves to lose.

19. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I think you're onto something. I mean, UF offers just as much as the top 4 teams being mentioned around here if not more. Most of the top recruits lives in the same state. Why can't our coaches make them sign with UF? This is a million dollar question.

20. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I couldn't have said it any better.