Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coaching’s no 1-way street (Bianchi commentary)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 17, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF football
    Mike Bianchi commentary in the Sentinel
    Coaching’s no 1-way street
    Dan Mullen, unlike Urban Meyer, needs to be as good off the field as he is on it

As he travels the state and fires up the fans during the festive spring and summer booster club circuit, this is the time of year when Dan Mullen should be celebrating and commemorating his fabulous first season as the head coach of the Florida Gators.

Instead, before addressing a gathering of the Central Florida Gator Club on Thursday night, Mullen was being peppered with tough questions from the media about players being accused and arrested, other players transferring and his policy on anyone who commits violence against women. It was almost the same inquisition he faced Wednesday night when he addressed the Tampa Gator Club.

Give Mullen credit for politely answering every question without bristling or snapping, but you just know it has to be eating away at him.
    Not just the players, but Mullen too needs to improve his decision-making. It’s not that his UF program is out of control like the one his former boss, Urban Meyer, presided over in Gainesville, but Mullen certainly needs to start showing he’s as astute a coach off the field as he is on it.
    Coaching’s no 1-way street

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FoxWaterGator

FoxWaterGator Bo don’t know footin’! Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Biased Bianchi sucks. His words are trash.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. cedarkey_gator1

cedarkey_gator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    You can always look forward to Bianchi finding a negative narrative for Florida Football...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Yet another crap article by Bianchi...

For all the times he used the word "alledgedly" in that article, just to condemn Mullen, Bianchi is, in my opinion, alldedgedly the biggest penis with feet walkinbg the face of the Earth.

Friggin' hack writer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    He used alleged or allegedly four times in that article, three times in reference to alleged crimes (which he has to do in order to avoid libel issues) and the fourth for the reason Steele left (which is the same reason everyone is writing).

His point is right though. Mullen is a good on the field coach, but it takes more than that to be a successful head coach. There have been a lot of issues in the past month with the Florida program. Some of them (the actions of his players) were mostly outside of his control. Others (not moving Steele, playing Jones in the spring game, not canning Yelverton, the wishy washy quote about his intolerance of violence against women) are PR blunders/disasters of his own making. And it's causing an effect on the recruiting trail. You had your rush of de-commits. But it goes beyond that. A competing recruiting service had an interview with Zachary Evans the other day and he had this to say about the situation at Florida..

Evans is watching all of his top teams on the field this year. While performance will be key, Evans is looking deeper into the behind the scenes happenings with everything going on in college football.

“How they respond to the coaches,” he said. “You see what’s going on with (Florida transfer) Chris Steele. You never just know until you’re on that team. It could be a front, you’re just playing the recruiting game. It’s a risk because you never know how these coaches are. You never know, that’s why I just use that as an example.”

And he uses that as an example because every coach recruiting him (and every other top tier player) is painting Florida in that light. And it is not going to stop. And it was all avoidable.

I get that Mullen is your guy and you want to defend him, but it's ok to call people out when they are falling short of expectations. It is the only way people get better and as a Florida fan I would assume you want better than the string of bad news from the past month. It feels like some here though have adopted an "us vs the world" mentality and are immediately dismissive of anyone that says something critical. My coach got crap for a solid month for his ill-timed fake punt in the SEC Championship Game last year. And deservedly so. It was an unforced error and one that I hope the uproar, both by fans and the media, will help him to avoid again in the future. If someone on our end had been trying to dismiss the criticism and pretend like all was well they would have been (rightfully) mocked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    You're just gonna go with the not moving Steele narrative as fact huh?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    It's part of the narrative that every article I've seen on the topic has included. Either everyone got it wrong or the story of the request (which nobody has denied) is right.

I don't think Steele left because of the denied request on it's face, but it's easy to connect A and B in regard to he asked for the move, it didn't happen and then, as a result, he got roped into stories about someone else's alleged sexual assaults.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Dude, you really need to get a life. Is life that boring over in bulldog country?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Understand his motive. He admittedly hates Florida. He's just circling and looking for issues to stir up. This is the freaking definition of a troll, but for some reason he's been allowed to keep it going.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    First- I like rival fans being here and you are an intelligent fan. Your points are not bad ones.
    However, IMO it looks like you have fallen prey to your biases- which is the building block of being a fan certainly.

It looks to me that Steele is using some unrelated facts to get a waiver.
    That's not Mullen's fault. He's not someone who knows the future.

People acted like that for Meyer too. It's unfair.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    There has been quite a bit of evidence that refutes that but you accept what satisfies your narrative you need to satisfy your argument. And before you say gator fans do the same in refuting the dorm transfer angle, the actions of the parties involved and the timing don't jive with his supposed complaint. That's not fandom those are objective pieces of information that don't support the claim

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    I like rival fans too, and enjoy some of the back and forth. But there needs to be some objective purposeful contribution mixed in with the rivalry giving crap stuff, and this guy seems to have lost that part of it. I recall some meaningful exchange with him in the past, but lately all he's doing is circling and trolling related to our problems. That works fine on your own board, but coming over here only to troll UF doesn't cut it with me. I would expect to get canned immediately if I chose to spend my time over on the UGa board doing nothing but trolling. Fortunately I've got more of a life than this clown apparently does.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    just dont read him

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. ugahairydawgs

Apr 9, 2007
    Would you mind linking some of that? I'm honestly not sure what you're referring to.

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Why would anybody bother to provide you with links when all you have to do is read what's already out there? It's available to everybody - are you actually having difficulty finding information, or just trolling as usual?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. WhattaGator

Our resident fuzzy hound is enjoying himself, strutting around and tryinng to "mark his territory"
    Fuzzy.... the info is all over the place...stop asking us to provide it to you, and look it up for yourself.

The interview, obtained by " A competing recruiting service"? What to you think they're gonna try to elicit from someone?

Anyway... on to Mike <hack> Bianchi

The only "PR disaster" Mullen has is the one that the frigging media has caused! "Mr. Hack" himself, Bianchi, with, as fuzzy the blind squirrel got it right, used "allegedly" enough times to escape getting whacked with a libel suit. But, he DIDN'T say the "A" word when he said that Mullen flew to California to try to convince Steele to return.
    How does Bianchi know that??? BZZZ!! You should have used the "A" word there, Mikey. <hack>

Then Bianchi poses an accusatory question... "why wouldn’t Florida immediately grant Steele’s wish to switch rooms? It makes no sense to drag your feet on such a minor request"

C'mon, Mike... You're the reporter, why didn't you inquire about the school's housing policy? Maybe you'
    ld discover that, once the dorms are assigned, and ALL THE ROOMS ARE FULL, that there would be "no room at the inn?, hence the change being made after the end of the semester. <hack>

Hey, Bianchi!... What did you mean by this statement, cryptically embedded in one sentence....
    "Mullen has overseen a program that seems unprepared, undisciplined and he appears unsure of his own decisions"
    What do you mean, "Unprepared?" We were sure prepared last year, and the season hasn't started yet, so, unprepared? Why do you feel the need to insert that? <hack>

And, Please tell us why, Mr. <hack> Bianchi... Oh, why, would you dedicate almost 1/4 of your article to Otis Yelverton?
    Yes, he has a severe and you finally aptly stated, alleged felony cyber-stalking charge hanging over him, and since he allegedly did it, is placed on administrative leave, and, as you stated, his return may be doubtful....BUT, I ask again, WHY is Otis Yelverton so freaking important to you that you feel you just have to take up so much precius ink space on someone who is an inconsequential person as it relates to Gator Football, unless you feel the compulsion to use anything you can think of to make your <hack> article believable, in your own eyes at least, and as negative as you possibly could?

Oh, yeah... because it fits so well with the rest of your "alleged" reporting prowess, and your need to berate Coach Mullen.
    Have you considered a position with the NY Post? <hack>

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I like him, but I think both the fake punt and the 39,476 thing seem to have gotten under his skin and he took a turn.
    I hope he will adjust because he has potential and intelligence and I love his Vince Lombardi quote.

I actually like rival fans POV. I admit that I drunk the Kool-Aid for WM and Mac because I'm a fan and I had high hopes.
    It sounds silly now but I saw both coaches potential while being blind to their flaws. (Mac more than WM.)
    Sometimes an outside POV is needed so we all dont' confirm our biases. So I'm the last guy to jump on rivals who come to our board.

But it's even starting to get old w/ me, so the above is me trying to help.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Wish I could live my life backwards. :rolleyes: I Would have way less mistakes to live through! I don't put all of this on Mullen and the room change. Stuck between a rock and hard place. He was approved to move rooms before fall practice. What more do we want our staff to do? Without him seeing into the future there is nothing else Mullen would do in that case. Unfortunate as it is Bianchi is a FSU troll. Don't read him.

19. WhattaGator

I posted the link earlier in the "Steele transferring" thread, about Steele's "sudden" alliance with an advocate to help him with his vaiver.

From "The Oregonian"

"After entering the transfer portal, Steele connected with Set The Expectation founder and sexual assault victims advocate Brenda Tracy and told her that a speech she gave at The Opening Finals in Dallas was part of his inspiration for taking a stand against sexual assault"

I dunno... Transferring to Oregon, tweeting his messages, and seeking a waiver is his way of "taking a stand against sexual assault?"
    Whatever

Back to Mike <hack> Bianchi I'm surprised his reporting prowess didn't dig up that news.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. WhattaGator

Correction, there tenor..

Bianchi's now a UCF homer!

• Agree Agree x 1