Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach- ya blew it

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 21, 2021.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    The young 44yo guy just finished his 6th season as the HC at UF and his 10th season overall as a HC. At what point should he have already learned this? The timeframe to blame this on youth and inexperience as a HC has passed, imho.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    You're the one that said the empty possessions didn't matter. The officiating was terrible, as it has been all year. We were overcoming it until we slammed on the brakes.

3. gatordd

gatordd Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    He's not a great coach fellas. It is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    14-4 and #2 in SEC. I’d take that every year without hesitation (duh). No titles, but at least that team was in the thick of it and that’s what you want. You want to be good enough to have a chance.

Since then it’s been 3rd, 8th, 4th, 5th in SEC with 11-7 being the high water mark. 9-9 and 8th in the league being the low. 2 years of mediocrity is understandable when waves of players move on and things need to be rebuilt, but when you start getting into 5 or 6 straight you can’t just say players didn’t work out or the team didn’t gel. Because at that point a lot of different players have come and gone with the same results.

But the one bright side is it’s stayed above .500 and we got to the tournament. That usually keeps the coach safely employed, I’m just not sure to what end.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    No kidding! In this day and age 44 is NOT young for college basketball HC, especially since as you noted, this was his 10th season as a college HC. I bet there are a hundred D1 coaches younger than him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Its not even worth responding to. There was a MASSIVE vacuum of experience and cohesion after the attrition from the prior year. Its an absurd point to make especially on the heels of a 4 time elite 8 run....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The funny thing is Billy’s best teams, the two championships and the perfect SEC run, basically didn’t press at all.

I remember his earlier teams did, certainly that 1999-2000 final
    four run did, they picked it up almost full court. But by the Walsh-Roberson era it was largely abandoned. The championships were won by being efficient as hell in half court offense and defense. The last final four team was probably even more extreme about this half court efficiency, buy they ran into a buzzsaw against Uconn.

I think this is what White wanted to do last year, because we appeared to have the parts to win at a half court efficiency battle. But his half court sets just don’t produce good efficient offense, it produces stagnation and dribbling around into trouble. Billy D teams were always excellent passing teams, he went for 5 guys in double digits and every made basket off an assist. That was his ideal. Mike White actually has a different philosophy, it can be made to work, but he basically requires the best guards on the floor to make it work since he’s basically putting the ball in the guards hands. It isn’t as consistent as a “system” since there really is no offensive system.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Swampgenie

Swampgenie GC Hall of Fame

Apr 30, 2007
    What would be needed to express a coaching change. Someone tell me why I'm wrong.

9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I was, but just a little. Started a new business that year that was all consuming.

Not sure what people expected after graduating 4 senior starters in 13/14 season, and thought folks were overly harsh on Billy. Things changed a little after he announced for the Magic and came back but most schools would die for 3 elite 8’s and a final 4 in 4 years.

But the bigger point I was making was that White isn’t Billy, never has been, never will be. And I like the guy. But its hard to break coaches of the habit of “coaching scared” when ahead, because thats typically when you see who they really are. White is a “play not to lose” guy. And its killed us. Also may be one of the reasons so few of his players fully develop-or so many seem to regress-they are stilted at crunch time in real game situations

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Well I was on here and it was painful. I get both sides of it with Mike White..this just sucks

11. gator4ever39

gator4ever39 Junior

Feb 2, 2008
    Sun valley idaho
    He did. With guys that didn’t fit his “system”. Then he recruits the guts he wants. Keep in mind there mostly 4-5* guards. And what does he do? Jack sh*t. So please explain, what has mike white done here other then allow us to become a mid grade sec basketball team?

12. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The thing about Coach Donovan's last year is that I believe he took one for the program. He could have jumped to the NBA after the Final Four season, but knew the next year was going to be a huge challenge. I think he had grown tired of the sleeze in recruiting and had trouble attracting kids to a program with so many upperclassmen the year before. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if we had had the transfer portal back then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Pick it apart any way you want. We finished 15 -10. .600 Ball.
    Under coach White we are just slightly better than that.

With the exception of that great 8 squad we are a consistent .600 / .630
    team, EVERY YEAR, usually struggling to make the dance late.

THIS CLUB is a real statistical aberration. Excellent shooting team that averages 16 T.O. a game. With other warts. 33 hoop posted an article about UF that was quite accurate IMO.

Next year? Well we have some help coming in. Frankly UF needs to convince CC to stick or, IMO, we are in BIG trouble in the paint.

Payne, Glover, Lewis need to decide if they want to play basketball at UF, or not.
    Lewis pissed me off with that desperation heave at the end, if he had clock awareness he had plenty of time to pass the ball for a better look.

Trey is gone I'm pretty sure.

Apple and Locke need help and plenty of it. Imagine this club without Trey, not .500 IMO.

CMW needs a 20 win regular season next year and hopefully better than one win in the dance. Mediocrity is getting a bit old.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Can't coach scared. If it's working stick with it. That's why I hate the prevent. Once the momentum shifts, your in trouble. I never felt good about this game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    As the thread states, Coach blew it and in some respects he blew it before the game even started. I think Mike White is a hard working coach with extremely high integrity. He's a good guy but a very average coach. I've never been a hard core basher of him nor have I been an adamant supporter. However, if people can't see the obvious by now I'm not sure what you've been watching and observing over the last few years.

I stated in a thread 10 days ago what real coaching looks like. I'm a big time Gator fan but I'm an Ohio Bobcat first being an alum. I told people when they were heading into the MAC Championship game what their coach Jeff Boals had been able to achieve in just two years. Now they've defeated Virginia (I understand the COVID challenges) and get painted as a Cinderella. Their two best players who most now know (Jason Preston and Ben Vander Plas) are holdovers from the previous coach. They wanted to leave but Boals talked to those guys and they bought in. Those two would not have developed appropriately under the last coach and with additions to the team that Boals made through his own recruiting lead to their success this year. THAT'S COACHING!

This leads me to a very glaring issue under Mike White and that's recruiting and development. There are plenty of guys on this team with huge potential (Scottie Lewis being the most obvious recently) but most are not realizing it. I'm not sure if it's them, how their being coached or perhaps a combination of the two. Mike White's best year was 2016-2017 going 27-9. However, most of those contributing players were holdovers from the Billy era. We can question Mike White's game planning and style of play and rightfully so but to me it's a combination of personnel and basic fundamentals.

Time and time again I see big men bring the ball down after getting a rebound to only have the ball knocked loose by someone (Castelton needs to hit the frickin weight room). Time and time again guys dribble first and look to pass second...quick ball movement creates quicker opportunity. Time and time again guys just dribble and aren't going anywhere (Noah Locke should only have his hands on the ball to pass or shoot). Time and time again guys don't box out only to allow the opponent to get an offensive rebound. Time and time again the team doesn't know how to break a full court press which is simply done by passing the ball quickly and getting it to the middle. This is basic stuff that has lacked for years now. THAT'S ON THE COACHING!

Couple this with what I will call inferior recruiting by Mike White and we're at the root cause. Regardless of the offense you run or the defense you play, you cannot win with bad fundamentals and poor talent. His best recruits thus far outside of KJ and Tre have been transfers. Transfers help fill a void or add depth which Canyon Berry and Jalen Hudson helped achieve in 2016-2017. You cannot create a program this way so yeah Coach, you blew it and have been for some time. There's no way he's getting canned this year so buckle up everyone, next year will be even worse after Tre bolts for the NBA.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

I don't think anyone is making the point comparing White and Billy. Billy is a hall of fame coach and Mike White is on the hot seat. My point continues to be that THIS is what UF basketball is and Billy was the aberration.

We've had a better 20 year run than almost any program. Yet fan support never climbed much. We still have attendance issues. Our showing at tournaments is bad. This board is the best gator hoops board around it prolly has what, 40-50 active posters? Most of the people showing up to say "Fire Mike White" you never see post otherwise and can't name who is in our recruiting class next year.

I don't care if we fire White. But people seem to forget at one point Billy's nickname was Billy One-and-Doneovan. People want Porter Moser and don't realize he was shit canned from powerhouse Illinois State and is barely a 500 coach. Whoever we bring in is going to favr the see obstacles White has, and Billy did. We didn't deserve the success Billy brought us, we were lucky he did.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I honestly don't know if another coach should be considered. I like Coach White. I love the way he handled things with Key. He's been a good recruiter. At the same time, he sometimes seems like he doesn't know his own team. He struggles with figuring out his best lineup. He seems to often struggle with understanding what the 5 guys he has on the court at a given time are best at. It's almost as if he had nothing to lose at Tech and thus let it all hang out, but here he wants to be more cookie cutter bc he doesn't want to be too different and go out on a limb a little more. Maybe he is afraid of being different in this conference. I'm tired of losing to FSU, as well as a lesser opponent after just beating a ranked team.
    But, I think he can get better as a coach. Perhaps he needs more experienced assistants, yet ones who can still recruit.
    I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

18. garygator27

garygator27 All American

Mar 28, 2017
    Ohio plays the game the right way, as does Chicago Loyola. Ball movement, player movement, unselfish, disciplined, etc. Watching those two teams play the last few weeks is refreshing after watching Florida basketball.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Yeah , some guys are intent to dwell on his last season, the one where we started a walk on manager. It was an odd transition year for personnel - the team before was a dominant senior laden team

• Agree Agree x 1