Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach- ya blew it

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 21, 2021.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Good coach without a killer instinct makes him just above average.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Let him win 6 SEC regular season titles, 4 sec tourneys, make 7 elite 8's, 4 final fours, 3 national title games, and win 2 titles and we'll give him an off year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    He coached quite a bit differently at La Tech. And so I think he sometimes tends to get tight. I was desperately hoping he’d have a year to give him some confidence and get the fan base off his back. But as I said... I fear he threw gas on the fire.

4. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    Aka

I agree with much you have posted. The only thing holding him back is his apparent over reliance on advanced metrics. He needs a better feel for in game flow. AND above all else somebody need to bend his ear with “we are a better team running even with extra turnovers, we look like we play in a better flow” and produce efficient scoring. Although, sometimes we have multiple consecutive empty possessions we usually build a lead.

5. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Lol..fear?? Man he lit it on fire. The fans felt good after VT but are coming with the pitch forks after ORU. You CANT slow it down Mike White. What the heck are you doing???? Have you not watched Florida Basketball get hosed by the refs in 2011 against Bulter and 2012 against Lousiville?? I mean we've seen this time and time again as Gator fans. You step on Cinderella neck and destroy them if you are up 11. Don't slow it down..DESTROY THEM!!!! Otherwise the refs will help you lose the game sure enough when we were up 5 after being up 11, I knew what was going to happen. It sucked so bad but I seen this story to many times to know how it ends.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    What a horrendous and inexcusable loss. 100% this is on Mike White. Slowing down with 5+ minutes is him freezing up. He waited forever to call a time-out, which should have been a set play to end the run. Imo, next year he should be on the clock. There a lot of good coaches in the SEC and you have to be able to coach in-game at a high level. For 6 years we've seen a lot of inconsistency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    White is not the answer.

But he also is not getting fired.

This is what makes these forums so much fun... haha

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Rinse. Wash. Repeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    This loss was so familiar, over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have zero idea what his upside is when he is largely making the exact same mistakes he has made his entire time here. He seems to learn nothing from failure, only validation from success.
    I was done with him years ago and thought I was beyond the emotional end of it because my expectations are so low, but to me this was the worst loss in all my years following this team, and I’m not sure it’s close. Yeah the Butler and Louisville elite 8 games stunk among others. But this was an 11 point lead late on a 15 seed with a chance to show progress for the program for the first time in years, and we literally gave them the game on a silver platter. This will be posterized, probably even part of the cbs opening montage for years to come, so it’s going to be thrown back in our faces countless times even if you wanted to get past it.
    I have taken breaks from watching MW games before because it’s beyond frustrating, but this is different. I have to get to the apathy stage because being this frustrated with a man I don’t know isn’t healthy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Gator basketball sadly

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Sorry man but thosr losses sucked too my friend.

13. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    Yeah. I was at UF during the Butler and Louisville loses. Those were the worst for me. I drove 16 hours to MSG to watch us lose to USC in 2017 from all places, Columbia, SC, where I currently live. That was also worse. While I'm disappointed tonight, this doesn't hold a candle to those games.

14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    of course they did. The Butler loss still hurts, I have never to this day watched the final three seconds when we missed the three to tie (I’m told we got a half court shot up but I never saw it) But it was made better by the fact that you knew Billy would have us back and fighting for a final 4 again the next year (which he did). And I don’t think Billy ever lost to a seed higher than a 10, let alone a 15, nor do I think that we ever had the same doubts about his coaching that this crystallized for MW. Today was a watershed game in his tenure, and he blew it. It was watching history in losing to a 15 when we had a chance to move the program forward, doing it through an epic collapse, and seeing the same exact mistakes we have seen for 6 years from the head coach. Pretty much a perfect storm of suck.
    But to each their own.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    I don’t want White fired. I just want him to learn from his mistakes but he keeps doing the same thing over and over. Very stubborn. Reminds me of Muschamp in the inability to change his way of thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    I hear you. This one sucked too but I remember Butler 2010-2011 because when we lost I rolled all over the floor like a little child. I just got married then and my wife said "I will never watch another Gator basketball game with you again if you act like that." So yea to each their own because for me that one sucked. Lol. Tonight I knew it was going to happen but still mad it did even though I knew it. I didn't even act like a child because I have seen this story before. Why even be surprised I guess. Lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I am flat out calling for MW to be shitcanned

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Sure they were. You can shoot 100%, but if you turn it over on half of your possessions, you're likely to lose. In fact, without the empty possessions and shooting at that rate, we win by 20.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I’ve never shied away from critiques, or not acknowledge shortcomings.
    I’ve just always fell that despite the shortcomings... Coach White is the right fit for our program. I’ve always felt it a VERY favorable equation for Florida to have a young, ascending coach ... who is admittedly learning on the job, but doing so WHILE making the tourney each year.
    I still feel that way. But I’m really disappointed in HOW we played segment of this loss.