Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach- ya blew it

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 21, 2021.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah. But I think slowing the game aided the defensive effort against Tre.

but ya know what... maybe it didn’t. I doesn’t matter. White has to know that he can’t go down like this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf All American

Dec 3, 2011
    Good point but as a coach, you’ve got to expect that and deal with it (by using screens or whatever) if/when it happens. We got outcoached tonight imo.

3. gottapanda

gottapanda Premium Member

Jul 22, 2008
    What about beating Tennessee by 26 this year? Did Mike tell them to slow it down then? I’m not saying this is the case for you, but a lot of posters seem to have selective amnesia about this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    It would be excused if it was after winning 2 national titles and coming off of 4 consecutive trips to the Elite 8. lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The moving screens and 15 empty trips nightly kill me. We have to have more empty trips than any team that still wins. An opponent can just hang around and wait for sloppy fouls and errant loose balls to pull it out late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gottapanda

Jul 22, 2008
    You are correct about that. If he’s going down, he needs to go down swinging.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. gottapanda

Jul 22, 2008
    We shot 55%. I wouldn’t say empty trips were the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

And UF is not an elite program. We were defined by having an amazing coach that took us to incredible heights, but in reality we are a top 20-30 basketball program. I'm fine with firing White or keeping him, but I think the expectations of what UF basketball is need to be realistic. And I say that as someone that follows basketball way more than football. The commitment from the school and the fans isn't what is required to be elite.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    20 turnovers=empty trips

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    20 TOs

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Agreed. Doesn't change my point that Billy left with the program at its lowest point of his tenure. We aren't an elite basketball program. We just happened to have one of the best coaches of the last 30 years and even he had a sub .500 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gottapanda

Jul 22, 2008
    Foul differential

13. gator4ever39

gator4ever39 Junior

Feb 2, 2008
    Sun valley idaho
    Also of note, Mike Whites only elite 8 team was full of Billy D’s guys. We’ve headed downhill ever since then.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Someone in the game thread posted that all basketball coaches slow down the game like White did because it's "good strategy." I don't know much about basketball, I only watch when the Gators are playing, but in football this "strategy" is known as playing not to lose, which usually means you lose. But I guess basketball and football are apples and oranges. But as little as I know about basketball, when Mann started just standing around dribbling to let the clock run with a big lead, I was asking what the hell are they doing. Was it to win the time of possession? Is White getting coaching advice from Will Muschamp?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem with that point of view is we scored 0 points in the last 2:30. Those were empty trips when the game was on the line.

16. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    they also got some seriously kind to the cinderella officiating. Their guard has more FT attempts than our entire team? What a complete joke. Goes 12-12.
    Our turnovers killed us as usual. How do you lose when you shoot 55% from the field. Turnovers and 1/3 the FT attempts. Oral Roberts was the anointed cinderella

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gottapanda

Jul 22, 2008
    And theeeeeeeere’s our smudge ness. That is the bitter pill that our diehard fans can’t swallow. Our bball program is not our football program. We were so lucky to have Donovan and the reality is that we are unlikely to ever achieve that level of performance again, except for the random years here and there. It’s hard to accept that level of success when we are perennially top-10 in so many other sports. But basketball requires more to succeed at that level on a consistent basis, and we aren’t making the commitment that is required to achieve that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    no it's the same in basketball. it's still playing not to lose, in any sport. It's the coward's way to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    He just loses games in heartbreaking fashion due to coaching. It's unreal. I want the guy to succeed but the last 10 minutes tonight showed why he hasn't won more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    him slowing the game down with big leads - instead of putting our foots on their throats and putting the game away - is the trademark of the White era. And it has cost us a lot more games than it has won.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1