Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach White's contract extended

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ApexNC, Jun 1, 2021.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    because you stated it as if it were a fact

2. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yea I don't know either, just curious if you'd done the math. I know it's incredibly to hard figure out.

3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    It's a manner of speaking. Obviously, I can't state the outcome of future sporting events as fact. o_O

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I joined the faculty at UF in 1982.

At that time we had never won an SEC championship in either basketball or football. We had not even won an SEC basketball tournament and Georgia Tech had won one and they were no longer in the league.

Then we cheated to win an SEC football championship that was stripped.

Then we won our first ever basketball championship in 1989 with a coach that was fired for cheating.

Lon Kruger was a hire that I thought we would never get and he put a good team on the floor. Clean coach. Actually a lot like Mike White. Solid, but is not going to be a year after year NC contender.

Steve Spurrier was a great coach that was way ahead of his time. And left here because he got tired of the unrealistic expectations.

Somehow in the interim UF has become a highly respected academic institution.

So now you can be reaping the rewards of being a grad of a top notch academic institution.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Dang, I did not know that re: the SEC All Sports Championship. Who won it? And flopping like that in the Director’s Cup is worrisome as well. Those are major overall downturns. Perhaps affected by covid? Lots of schools did not let covid stand in the way of winning at all costs.

6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    UF is still competitive even with the raised academic profile. Don't we win NC's in other sports like baseball, gymnastics, etc... Consistent New Year's Six bowls in a rigged playoff system era? Perennial NCAABB tournament team with second round or better exits? How are we not focused on sports? Also, would you say that Duke is myopic for focusing on academics? Michigan? UVA? UCLA? Notre Dame? UNC? Georgetown? I'm sorry, but I don't get what you are saying here. UF arguably has it ALL. Great academics, great athletics, great campus, great history, great tradition. Our day will come to win a basketball or football NC again. Let's not be unrealistic and expect to be on top all the time in both sports.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    All of this whining is pretty much an insult and slap in the face for every player that has come in this year or has decided to stay.

• Like Like x 3
  8. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    3 of the 4 losses were to Top 5 teams (2 of which came down to the wire). Plus 8 wins against an all-SEC schedule is nothing to sneeze at. In a normal year, we would have possibly been 11-2 at worst heading into the bowl game/playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I was going to make a joke if you had Gray's Sports Almanac from back to the future II you could, but I went to look for a picture of and saw it only covered 1950-2000. Now I feel old.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I do!

Too bad I don't get invited to the alumni functions. I guess beer swilling rednecks are not copacetic to the chardonnay crowd.

11. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    The Directors Cup may not be quite as dire as I thought based on today's release. We currently sit in 10th (4th among SEC schools) with some decent sports to go. Problem may Texas sitting right behind us. Tennis is still to be counted, but they won the women's title to offset our men's title and just won a rowing championship. We may have to jump some teams ahead of us to remain top 10.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    So effing what if we don't win the SEC All-Sports trophy every year? It needs to be pointed out that UF has forced the other SEC schools to up their games in many sports. We used to absolutely thrash the SEC in volleyball. Now, most of the schools have pretty good programs, and some are really good.
    We used to absolutely thrash the SEC in softball. Now, most of the schools have pretty good programs, and some are really good.
    It's not so easy to dominate any more.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I don’t think losing it is a fireable offense or anything, my concern is that we seem to be lowering standards and I think we are seeing a gradual decline of the program. IMO we should be the best department in the conference most years just because of all the advantages we have as a university, and it needs to be managed that way. Can’t allow coaches to underperform (i.e. men’s golf) without consequence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nobody suffers a coaching extension like Gator fans. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This was my 20k post, which means I'm old and have no life. :emoji_older_man:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. gatorade

gatorade Junior

Oct 21, 2014
    Newsflash: No one cares about softball or volleyball.
    Money is in football and basketball. That is it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Bacon !!

18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I care about softball and volleyball. Therefore, your thesis is disproved.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Zepgator

Zepgator All American

Oct 18, 2010
    Come on - I think you are speaking to an extreme minority that exists in every fan base. Most of the people that do not think MW is the right guy would be overjoyed if we have a great season. We are Gator fans above all else. It would be wonderful if he turned it around - players develop, team played exciting basketball and we could all see big improvement instead of the inconsistency that his tenure has produced. That comment sounded was a smarmy, 14yr old like “nah nah nah nanah” and was a bit grandiose. There are a lot of legitimate beefs with MW and valid criticisms by many fans on this site - time will tell if he can improve. Instead turning it into “one side vs the other side”, it is just a difference of opinions. I think all Gator fans hope for the best for our University and the ones that you disagree with should not be lumped into the fringe.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. Zepgator

Zepgator All American

Oct 18, 2010
    Since you have no life, I challenge you to check out other big time Universities messages boards that have coaches who do not excel. I think you will find that Gator fans are no different.