Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach White's contract extended

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ApexNC, Jun 1, 2021.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s what we were told the last two seasons. Especially when we brought in the top transfer and NPOY candidate KBJr. to go along with Key, Nembhard and Co. You saw how that turned out.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Ugh, we don’t know if CC or Keynote will be available, don’t count your chips yet! Small ball requires good shooting percentages every night, that doesn’t happen. So if we don’t get another decent big, hopefully someone with muscle and a decent game, we will be middle of the pack. We are hoping all the transfers are great and the two fore mentioned players contribute, CC especially.
    If CC doesn’t come back which is possible, Europe or development league are calling, agents wanting to make money. Keyontae, doctors usually err on caution’s side, UF on liability, conservative, making the family and KJ making a decision with his life.
    Concerns fans are making on here, you should grasp the concept, because in sixty days we will start practice with the players available, either minus or additions. All Florida fans , myself included, hope for the return of two very good college basketball players and another big would be desirable. CMW hopefully gets that to beat FSU and the Baylor’s of college basketball, you have to have size and athleticism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. KSAGator

KSAGator Senior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    This is an interesting take. Dan Mullen will be earning more than $7 million a year coming off of an 8-win season. Will be interesting to see how we stack up against the rest of the SEC. I’d put us below Georgia in the East, and Bama, A&M and LSU in the West - so 5th of 14. Florida finished 5th in basketball this past year—a basketball program that had very few tourney berths before Billy.

With our problems recruiting in football and Dan’s public desire to get an NFL job (and NCAA issues this last year), I don’t view it as an obvious good move to extend him and give him a raise. I get the argument for doing so, but personally don’t like it. I personally am not happy with 8-4 and don’t understand why people expect that we will do better this year or going forward. But the point is: if you are going to extend Dan Mullen, how the hell do you justify not extending Mike White for far less of a financial commitment.

5. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    how do you know this?

6. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Is it? Do you think the athletic department is performing at the same level it used to? We are going to lose the SEC All Sports trophy for the first time ever in consecutive years. Going to finish outside the top 10 for the first time ever in the Directors Cup. We’ve seen a dip in the performance of the program overall, and given that performances like women’s basketball or men’s golf are seemingly accepted, it’s worrisome that this is the new norm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Obviously, it is my opinion and prediction. Why even ask this question?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Said so many folks, circa 2014, about Mus-take. And then...reality hit.

Face the facts (at least to me), Mike is on Double Secret Probation. And his rivals know this. He is on a VERY slippery slope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Can I still experience it if I don't want to be right about White being bad?

10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    This is it in a nutshell. The Regents, or whoever, decided to "reform" UF from being a party or jock school into a pure academic school. Instead of being elite in everything we do, they want a myopic focus on academics. I'm glad I went to UF when the experience was more well-rounded.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Be delighted to eat a bowl full ...............

12. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

No one wants him to be bad. However his track record is abysmal. We can compare wins he has with Donovan’s but all that will prove is how amazingly misleading statistics can be. It does not matter how many wins you have if you are non competitive when it matters.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Well, the article states there is a buy-out for the extension years as well.

So, having seem your optimistic point of view over the years, I am guessing you see the buyout as a firm investment and commitment to stability and recruiting success? ;)

14. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do we know we are finishing outside the top 10 for sure?

15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I do not really concern myself with buyouts or UAA finances, in general.

I have not seen, nor do I anticipate seeing Florida balk on a coaching move due to a buyout. If a coach is failing, the far greater loss would be seen in revenue, booster support etc.

As such, I think the two-year extension is largely a symbolic for the appearance of support and commitment so to aid in areas such as recruiting.

So, I guess the short answer to your question is, "yes".

• Like Like x 2
  16. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    No I guess not and probably shouldn't haven't spoken in absolute, but it is pretty likely.

17. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Wow, that would be a bummer. That and not winning the SEC all sports trophy. That used to be pretty much a given.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    We’re going to compare him to one of the greatest coaches in basketball history? Sounds legit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jhsgator

jhsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What are you basing that on? The last update? Because we are always awful going into the Spring. I agree that the it feels like the athletic program is declining but our Spring hasn't been that bad. Tennis title, top 4 in Gym, Swimming 3rd, Volleyball elite 8, Lax elite 8. Golf was atrocious and may hurt us, but still points on the board with baseball and track.

20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    We’ll see. I used to keep track and saw some projections I think on here recently. I don’t think there’s any doubt about the SEC All Sports though.