Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Dec 7, 2019.

1. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

But that is exactly why the comparisons need to be made. No one is looking for another BD. No one is looking for another Spurrier or Myer. But if you don't get complacent with someone you have paid milions to MILLIONS over the years, and who has not made the leap to seriously challenge for the SEC regular or tournament championship, has not gotten 1 ONE player drafted in the pros, and who has only this year brought in blue chip talent, you open the door for the Mullens to come in and right the ship.

5 years into Donovan's stint at Florida we were semi finalists as national champions and tied twice for the SEC East. MW has not come close to this, and the way this year is panning out we have no reason to expect otherwise unless some drastic philosophical changes are made in strategy. Imagine Magic Johnson slowly bringing up the ball so that Cooper or Worthy could take a last second chuck at a 3 when they had the "showtime" offense. This is what MW has done to this roster. He has taken a showtime roster and turned it into a Hoosier with wooden backboards and converse sneaker reality. Something needs to be done fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Spot on. Guys like Glover Mann Lewis Key Payne etc are not made for a slow down O, honestly we're completely wasting Lewis. Granted Lewis needs to be better himself but not allowing him Mann Glover Payne and Key to get out and run is indefensible. Pretty clear no matter what he might say at times to the contrary that White has zero real desire to play up tempo. Ironically most every time we push we score or at least get a much much better look than we do in our half court slop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There are some teams that you have to beat at their game, and their are some teams that you have to make play your game. But when you don't even know what is your game, it is hard to get teams to play it. Clearly with a 6-3, with losses to FSU (very beatable), Gonzaga (beatable) and Butler (challenging but not invincible) and marginal wins against much more inferior talent, it is clear that this coaching staff IS NOT running the right offense with the personnel that we have. We are blessed to bring in 4 FOUR dynamic young athletic players who can push the tempo and make teams play defense on their heals, and we run an offense like a nursing home intramural league. This is ridiculous. I don't want to hear that the players are too young to run the ball up and down the court. They are too young to be forced to play a game that they are not suited to play. Look at the high school highlights of all of those freshmen. They are getting up and down the floor and setting tempo. They come here and it is geriatric city. WHY???????????????????

If we are dealing with a coaching staff that cannot even appreciate the obvious, why are they here?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t think he lacks a desire to play up-tempo... that had been his style and preference. For reasons I do not know... he lacks confidence in this....and past teams...ability to do so.
    It will be a question I ask when I get opportunity.

• Like Like x 2
  5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall Senior

Jul 11, 2019
    These two points you made are spot on and exactly what I’ve been thinking. Push the ball and stop trying to run that ineffective set all the time. Take advantage of the defense. To get by your defender, you only need a very small gap. Our team seems to think that if the defender is within 5 feet of them, they need to reset the offense and run a 25 second play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    If not this team, then when is he going to run at UF? Just because he ran and pushed pace in mid major doesn't mean he will ever do it here and frankly by year 5 it's clear to most that he won't do it. Why recruit Key Lewis Payne Tre and Ques if you're going to neuter them? If a team can't run your half court O then why not push more to get more easy looks every game? Instead of slowing pace and expecting them to run good half court O? It's lacks all common sense. Everyone knows and sees it but White it appears.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    You seem to think I’m arguing your point.
    I would love to see this team run, and feel that it is well-equipped to do so. But for reasons I don’t know… White doesn’t feel the same. As I said, Id love opportunity to ask the question

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  8. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Not at all. I do disagree that White wants to play up tempo though. Literally nothing he's done consistently at UF indicates that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I look forward to the nonsensical answer. This, more than anything, is why I'm quickly losing faith in him. There is simply no excuse for the deliberate avoidance of this team to get in transition or initiate early offense. It certainly can't be because of our highly efficient half-court offense. Or because we lack the athletes to get in transition. Or the appeal to HS recruits.

How many transition buckets did we have yesterday? I can't remember one. And it's not the first game were we had between 0-1 transition baskets. I can really only remember a handful all season, and they were almost all the direct result of a TO near halfcourt that resulted in an uncontested layup/dunk.

What is he worried about? Turnovers? We turn the ball over a ton in our halfcourt offense, and our assist/TO ratio this year is putrid. He has prioritized long, bouncy, ahtletic types in recruiting. He has certainly prioritized it over pure shooters. Setting aside for now the abortion that is our halfcourt offense, if his preference/comfort zone is a more deliberate, slow pace of play, why hasn't he loaded up on shooters? Everyone knows deliberate, half-court offense requires shooters all over the floor. There is just nothing about this roster that screams 300+ in pace of play.

He is sabotaging the most talented team he will ever have at UF (and future recruiting classes). I'm tired of hearing about La. Tech in analysis of his coaching style. This is year 5. These are all his recruits. La. Tech is irrelevant at this point. It is clear he is not "comfortable" playing up-tempo any longer. I'm hopeful, despite zero evidence thus far, that he will come out of his comfort zone this season before it's too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Mikey Miller is now the interim coach for the Knicks.
    Doubt he gets the nod at season's end tho.

11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Different mike Miller

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Not the Mike Miller you are thinking of. I'm assuming your talking about former Gator great, Mike Miller. That's not him.

13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    The silence speaks reams.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Oh, my bad.
    To me, there is only one "Mike Miller" lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I 100% agree. This team shows very little discipline. KB should never be doing this. A 3 in the flow of the offense is fine, but his shots were easy pts for the other team. Also, I saw White slowing our guys down on the break again. Have no idea why.

White needs to do some real soul searching and fix what's going on quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    The slow down is perplexing to me. It seems that once he decided on a tall pg, he decided to play to his strengths, a half court game. Thus fewer shots. Fewer shots mean fewer points. I'd rather make 35% of 70 shots than 50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like the Ron Zook of basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    I applaud the positive intro of your post. However, I don't agree with your final assessment. In November and December, we should not be worried about what this team looks like. It's a completely different team than last year, with major contributors being true freshmen.

Coach and the players are still a major work in progress. Once the SEC season starts, then if we still aren't playing well, then you can begin to worry. Meanwhile, I will not be worrying because CMW is a great coach and we are fortunate to have him. There are no other potential coaching candidates that are better than CMW, and he's as high quality a person as you can ever ask for in your program. As far as I'm concerned, he can stay forever. But then, it's not up to me, is it.....?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Yea what's to worry about. It's just wins and losses. Recruits don't care about that sort of stuff either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    If I'm a blue-chip recruit, and I am still deciding on where to play, I want to see where prospective teams consistently end up in the Dance. I'm pretty busy playing ball in Nov/Dec, so I don't really care what you're doing then, but in March, I want to see my team competing in the Sweet 16/Elite 8/Final 4.

• Funny Funny x 1