Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Coach White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Dec 7, 2019.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Blackshear didn't play smart yesterday, but at this point he's the best player on the team, and it's not even close.

2. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    And yet instead of pounding the ball to him on the block or running O through him in the midpost/FT line area, we put him out behind the arc for long stretches of the game and instead post AN up. It's so laughably frustrating. Plus we still have no clue as a team how and from what angle to make a simple post entry pass. All of these things fall back to coaching/strategy, or lack thereof.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    The way this team plays and is coached, it's no longer an interest if I watch their games or not. I've seen this show for over four years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    As I stated last night, White saying things are on him is just empty words that mean zero because nothing changes and frankly not sure 4+ years in he knows what to do to max players strengths and have a good O.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Coach White stressed defensive lapses as the cause for the loss. Basketball is a game of points, if you don’t have money shooters, you have to go inside with the ball. Butler went inside every possession, then if that was cut off, they swung it outside. CMW has to get them to drive inside relentlessly. He knows defense, but his offense, he thinks the Butler game was the best they ran his offense this year. You can’t wait for a night when we get hot from the outside, this is a low percentage offense, “as in nothing you can hang your hat on.” Don Devoe didn’t get it, he was run out of town quick, the rest of this season will define CMW, for better or worse. As a gator fan, I want him to succeed, but at some point you have to evaluate long term for the program.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    I'll disagree with you on that point.
    If it wasn't even close, there wouldn't be any other differing views from yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I mean, the guy who disagreed with him said Glover is our best player. I don't think this is a case of it being "close" or having "differing views", the guy is just wrong...crazy wrong. Maybe if he had said KJ or something he'd have a point, as KJ is clearly our 2nd best player. I think KB is by far our most important player, but KJ has done enough and is such an elite athlete that he at least makes a case as a strong #2. Beyond that, NOBODY is close. Nembhard has been the only other guy you can say is "solid", but obviously his methodical style is a bit of a liability as much as it is a benefit.

Blackshear has been a tad disappointing, but even yesterday where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 3 he ended with 17 points and 5 boards. You'll have to ask White why he's floating around on the perimeter so much. BD would definitely be running this guy off pick n' roles until whoever was defending that cried for mercy, we'd be getting ball movement off of any matchup with KB where the other team tried to double team him. Without a double team, KB is a 20 point scorer on alot of nights. But not if he's allowed to float on the perimeter and goes 0-5 for three. Having him do that basically neutralizes him, makes his presence not mean as much as it could (as far as how the overall offense functions).

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dmgator

dmgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The offense is a mess. There is no excuse for having your big take 5 3-point shots when he has not been consistent all year. The last possession of the first half where we basically ran the clock down and Blackshear shot a 3 was ridiculous. How many times have we watched this team have numbers on the break only to pull up and go into our slow no offense. That is on the coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think it will be based upon 5 years of not moving the program substantially forward. And the only year we went deep into the tournament with MW he was using Donovan's recruits who were already acclimated to the system. I don't think Donovan's recruits were any more talented, but he figured out a way to get players to go through brick walls for him. MW clearly lacks that capability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I live in New York along with another alum who is a long time friend of mine. He wanted me to get tickets along time ago for the game at the Barclays. I told him then after the embarrassing loss to FSU for the umpteenth time that I was not going to patronize mediocrity. Nothing this team or coaching staff has done since the FSU consistently that has changed my opinion.

Other than- Johnson, Glover, Blacksheer and occasionally Nembhard, this team is woefully underperforming and allowing undermanned and lower talented teams steal the momentum from them. They seem virtually incapable of dealing with adversity. They don't value possessions or free throws, and worse seem to have no problem with losing. The latter issue is completely on the coaching staff. If you are either recruiting players which are comfortable with losing (particularly to inferior talented teams) or worse you are recruiting highly competitive players who when they come to your program, somehow lose that competitive edge, it is time for you to think about moving on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    so wouldn't that make you a fair weather fan?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Donovan is my favorite coach in the history of sports... and the best we have ever seen or will see at UF.
    But he wasn't always able to do as described above, and wasn't immune to getting crushed on these boards, nor impervious to calls for his job. Billy had 5 years preceding the titles during which we failed to get out of the first weekend. . . . and during that time, the proverbial "noise in the system" grew quite loud.
    And there was a three-year span following the titles during which we failed to make the tourney twice and bowed out in the opening round once. And all of those rosters, at least on paper, appeared quite talented.
    Billy had 19 years at Florida, and it could be argued that he couldn't squeeze the expected results out of his rosters nearly half the time. . . . the 8 season I mentioned above, and his final year (9 total).
    Coaching is a tough gig, and it must be brutal having your livelihood tied to the performance of kids, and the frustrations of the fan base.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    100%

If the Gators are playing in your home city you better have a really good excuse to not go. Because they aren't playing well isn't an excuse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree.

We have a fan base that is underwhelming (I am not pointing to WCI or any poster here!), yet has tremendous demands and expectations. I think the latter is great. I just wish is was complemented with equally passionate support.

And on that note. . . the 'fire mike white' contingent would be in for a surprise if we ended up conducting a coaching search. This isn't as good of a gig as some here think. It is an absolute miracle we retained Billy for as long as we did, but that achievement has deluded some of our fan base.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Facts.

If UF were playing East West South North Alabama State A&M Technical College anywhere close to my home I'd be there. I used to stay up to watch the games whether I was stationed in Afghanistan, Germany, or anywhere else.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Some good and salient thoughts. That said, any and all comparisons of White and BD must stop by all fans. White isn't now, nor ever will be, anything close to the coach BD is/was. White is essentially the basketball Will Muschamp ie a great guy you want badly to succeed who just doesn't have it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I think you quoted the wrong post in your reply. It was WCI who made the comparison.

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Nembhard's game is not posting up smaller guards. If MW wants to play that kind of ball he needs to have a line up where Johnson is the smallest player. Common sense tells you that and I don't make 2 million a year to coach anyone, but if MW would have Blacksheer, Payne, Bassett, Lewis and Johnson in the line up, Johnson could run the point and post up (which is his game) any guard that would checking him even if the same height or slightly taller because of his strength. Nembhard struggles posting people because he does not have the strength or the muscle just the height advantage. He is a dynamic ball distributor and when focused, manager of the offense.

It is puzzling that a team with ten active players, is not dictating the pace of the game. When you are as horrific as we have been at times on offense, slowing down the possessions, is the worse that you could do. By pushing the ball and getting more shots when great defenses like Butler's are not completely set up, our fg. percentage will increase. Furthermore, as we are playing teams that only have two reliable guards and one legitimate reliable power forward, we can exhaust them by pushing the tempo. We have perhaps 5 to 6 people who could handle the point for stretches. There is no reason why the press is not an integral part of our game plan.

Why MW is not pressing and pushing the tempo (not a decision players make but a coaching staff) is beyond me. When you have two electrifying players like Mann and Lewis playing in a sleep inducing offense like MW has, you are completely COMPLETELY wasting their talent. The same is the case for Johnson and Glover and probably Payne, who would all be much more effective in a up tempo environment. If MW and staff can't perceive the strengths and advantages of his players, why are they coaching?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Our showing on offense thus far this season has been a huge disappointment. But I'll wait to see how the season turns out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1