Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Dec 7, 2019.

1. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    We couldn’t ask for a more high character, likable guy to represent our program. He’s a top notch person, nobody will debate any different. I can see why hiring him was such an easy decision. But it is becoming more and more clear that he isn’t ready to coach a program at this level and have sustained success. He has been handcuffed by player injuries in past seasons and to be fair, we haven’t had skilled big men that could score in the post. But we have the pieces to be a lot better than what we are seeing on the floor. It is embarrassing that our offense is as bad as it is. It isn’t the players. It is coaching. How long do we continue to see the same performance issues before the coaching seat gets hot?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    agree 100% - nice guy and a good coach at certain levels, but not the right choice for the University of Florida.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Any more performances this year, that are this ugly, I think Stricklin will have to make a decision based on the results of the year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Scott made the right decision with the football program, I trust that he will with basketball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mike White isn't going anywhere at the end of this year. Maybe an assistant or two might be working elsewhere but Coach White is Stricklin's guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    There is a whole lot of money remaining on white’s recently signed extension and firing him would cost a fortune

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    White was hired by Foley, not Stricklin so I wouldn’t go as far as to say he is Scott’s guy. Scott may like him, but he did not hire him.

losing time after time to in state rival and looking ugly and it won’t matter much if he is anyone’s guy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Welcome to purgatory then, because he will never have a more talented team than this one, which was entirely recruited by him for his system...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    What is this system you talk about? I would like to have it explained.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    not to mention optometrists getting rich all across the state will be lobbying hard to keep a guy with such a talent for making Gator fans' eyes bleed with his offenses year after year.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Im frustrated and not advocating for one thing over another, but I don’t think the buyout would be prohibitive. It’s not paid at once, under $2 million a year is really not all that much for this AD.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    So would a decline in ticket sales if this is what people are paying to see. When we see the seats empty, that forces a lot of tough decisions to be made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    CMW isn't going anywhere after this season. But there is no denying if we miss the tourney or live on the bubble all season and don't get past the first weekend, his seat will become warm. This is likely the most talented team he will have at UF, so underachieving with this bunch will not inspire long-term confidence from even his staunchest supporters within the program.

With that said, I don't think the expectations of the fanbase are very realistic in terms of the type of coach UF can attract. It's a football school. Most of the fanbase cares just enough to complain but not quite enough to fill the arena. UAA clearly doesn't promote the program like it should. Elite coaching candidates aren't coming here. We will be back to trying to hit the lottery with a young, mid-major coach. Those tend to fail more often than they hit.

Personally, I will be very interested to see if CMW is willing to make serious adjustments with this team. Adjustments that acknowledge the blatant roster mismanagement we've seen through 8 games. That's probably just wishful thinking on my part. I think it will be more minor tweaks in hopes of the inevitable improvements that come with the experience of playing together and familiarity with the "system".

My fear is that minor tweaks will just make us marginally better later in the season. Good enough to make the dance but not enough to make a deep run. If CMW insists on playing at this slow pace all season, it will be criminally awful use of this roster and unforgivable on my end. I just couldn't defend that on any level.

Sadly, I've seen nothing at any point through any of our 8 games that hint at a desire on his part to play faster. When he put the reigns on Mann in the first half on back-to-back possessions it was the turning point in the game. We went from up 6 to down 9 at the half after that. Game was over.

• Like Like x 2
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    White needs to bring in an offensive guru. I don’t keep up with staff changes, but after last year he really should have done this already.

When you add a big like Blackshear and still stink at your slow down half court offense, it has to be the X’s and O’s not the Jessie’s and Joe’s.

I know you probably can’t “install a system” in the middle of a season, but it feels almost like we midseason staff change, almost panic time if this team is to turn the corner. Bring in the guru and work on the basics, get the guys playing loose and with confidence. Right now they look like robots with broken AI.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

If we miss the tourney AND guys go pro - I’d be done, ready to move a different direction. I still expect this to be a non-issue, but we shall see.

Now if we barely make the tourney and guys go pro, that isn't much better, but it probably leaves him on a warm seat rather than any real job jeopardy. That scenario sort of leaves it in a grey area. Thinking, is that it? Unfortunately this might be the most likely scenario as of now based on recent history.

The 3rd option is obviously that this team gets it rolling and contends in the SEC, I have zero optimism based on what I see from us early.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Interesting point. I’m not saying this is going to be the case, but this is exactly what happened with Memphis and their firing of tubby smith/hiring of Penny hardaway. They had a deal with their building (shared with the Memphis grizzlies) that if they didn’t hit a certain attendance mark they owed the owners of the building $750k. The fans knew that and made a tactical decision to not go to games knowing that the program would lose 750k a year until they changed the coach (amongst other financial losses with fans not supporting the team live).

Obviously it’s a different scenario on Florida but still, the ticket buyer has some power.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Just read an interesting comment from a poster on the GatorsMBK Instagram page. Said he sat behind the bench at the Butler game and said, "the problem isn't Mike White as much as it is the players. Scottie Lewis might be the biggest cry baby ever. Yelling at water boys about not handing him the right towel. Mike White had to tell him multiple times, "I don't want to hear it". I sat behind the bench and heard everything. The players aren't buying in."

Has anyone else heard anything like this re the players not buying in and Lewis whining?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The offensive sets are very easy to defend, and there is little motion/movement away from the ball. The point guards are not driving and dishing. The players we have recruited are not very good shooters either. I think Coach White has to change his offense, but wonder if he is capable of changing? Don’t see in game adjustments you would expect of a coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Have yet to hear a clear explanation of what his offense is.

20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    That's really my only beef with White. A great coach, in any sport, will adjust the offense to the personnel. Look at what Mullen has done with Trask.

It seems to me the Nembhard is a really good PG, but not for a dribble drive offense. He is more of a traditional, methodical distributor. White needs to adjust to that and not try force square peg round hole.

• Agree Agree x 3