Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach Mullen's Checklist for Naming Starting QB

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by wrpgator, Aug 11, 2018.

1. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Coach Mullen has said he has no timetable, but wants to have a starting quarterback before the season opener. In his remarks Friday, Mullen listed the following, in the order he mentioned them:
    1. Learn and manage the offense
    2. Learn what the checks and the reads are to get us in the right place.
    3. Make quick decisions.
    4. Technique and fundamentals
    5. 'The biggest one...leadership, body language and leadership'
    UF coach Dan Mullen anxious to name Gators' starting QB
    Notwithstanding Coach's 'no timetable' to name a starter, he said "I’d love to get it done way before then (gameweek)."
    Who do the parameters listed favor as the Gator's starting quarterback?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Without seeing fall practice, there's no way to hazard much of a informed guess. 1,2,3 are basically the same package and will dictate the eventual #1 guy.

I'd say unless we hear there's a drastic gap, smart money is on FF getting the nod in game 1. I just don't think it gets settled until there are multiple game reps for Trask. I won't be shocked if they rotate for the first 3 games. Especially since they are also going to want to see what Jones has as well, and that's going to eat a few series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Emory Jones

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  4. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    1. Learn and manage the offense
    2. Learn what the checks and the reads are to get us in the right place. NOT Franks
    3. Make quick decisions. NOT Franks
    4. Technique and fundamentals
    5. 'The biggest one...leadership, body language and leadership'

Trask/Jones (4 games)

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    By 2015 opening game, Gator's starting QB had not been not been named because among Treon Harris and Will Grier, "neither has stood out in practice or scrimmages".
    Kind of reassuring that we have a coach who knows what to look for, has a plan in place to identify a starter through practice and scrimmages, and start grooming him ahead of the opener so the decision is not left to a tryout against inferior competition.
    For the leadership aspect, there should be a starter who the team can gel around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's definitely the optimal plan that all coaches would prefer. With all the factors involved, I'll be surprised if one guy gets installed as the permanent starter for good before game 1 and the others relegated to 4th quarter mop up time.

I'm pretty sure MacNuss would have preferred to hand it over to Grier from game one, but they had to account for the hangover of a very fractured team the year before. Luckily we're not in that position again, but Mullen repeatedly emphasizing leadership may be pointing to juggling a similar (though far less toxic) dynamic.

7. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    We paid a coach millions who couldn’t figure out that Grier was better than Treon. Let that sink in.

• Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Dan Mullen came into my brothers deli in the spring and he expressed to Coach that Franks wasn’t that great. Mullen told him that Franks hadn’t been properly coached...yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Has Coach Mullen been back to the deli since then? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Very true. I think Coach Mullen is getting very close to figuring out who he wants behind center.

11. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Reading between the lines it's Franks until he proves otherwise. There's going to be a lot of pressure on him Monday night in the scrimmage.

I was counting on Mullen, Jonson, Savage, and the rest of the staff being able to pick the guy about now and get him the reps and allow the team to get behind him fully before first game.

It's still fluid and live game action is the final factor. As lost as Franks has looked at times I don't remember him melting down. After bad decisions he came back in and competed. Pretty remarkable considering the mess he was in last year. As bad as our staff was they never chewed his face off or threw him under the bus.

Best case scenario is Mullen works his magic through first 3 games building confidence bit by bit so that Franks and the whole team is humming in Knoxville. It could happen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    I looked at your avatar and hit 'like' button right away. And what you posted ain't bad either...

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    When a QB has no leadership from the OC nor the head coach, how can anyone expect him to be a leader in his first two years in the program. That is exactly what Franks was facing under McElwain and Nussberger. We may very well see a much different FF this season as CDM instills confidence and direction in him and Trask as well. Emory Jones has not suffered under the previous non coaching staff so he doesn't have that disadvantage. It should be fun to watch the transformation of FF and KT...........I hope. Ain't that cool.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Whether one has leadership qualities is not 100% dependent on the quality of the coaching. Leaders lead, and it tends to be a personality trait. Greir had this in spite of Jim-Doug McNussMeier. If he hadn't walked into the GNC store that day, it's possible McNuss would still be coach of the Gators, Grier's leadership and skills masking otherwise poor coaching. Good players / leaders can make borderline coaching look genius.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    My guess is that he can see immediately who has to potential but getting said qb prepared to play is a different story. We may not start out with the one he wants.

16. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Any gut feeling who it is he really wants?

17. n210sgator

n210sgator Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    Neptune Beach
    We need a ‘hit-it’ button:devil:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Based on spring performance, Trask had the edge on the first four but I'm pulling for Franks because he appears to be a more confident and vocal leader. Being the #2 QB in high school didn't help Trask with the leadership part.

19. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    Reporters after reporters have reported that practice have showed that Jones is way behind Task and Franks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. cubangator

cubangator All American

Jul 8, 2017
    That is because we had a fraud as a coach (Mac)