Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach Mullen in Broward County 5/8

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jeffbrig, May 7, 2018.

1. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    Ok, I know I'm not the only Gator in Broward that's going to hear Coach Mullen talk tomorrow night. Who else is RSVP'd for this event?

2. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I'll be there. Making the drive over from Naples tomorrow afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll be there too. Looking forward to it. I like the new location, and plan to hang out on the water at Pelican Landing afterwards.

4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
  5. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Ask him if he's interested in JB....
    And if not..WHY NOT.:p
    Need this kid IMO.

6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Someone did. He said he was not allowed to comment on any specific players.

Said our QBs were talented but needed to make huge strides in off season when he’s not allowed to really coach them on the field.

It was a great night. Nat Moore has a good opening talk and Mullen was fantastic.

Kudos to Broward County Gator Club for putting together a great event.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Here are my thoughts on last night:

- It was a really great event. Only thing that would have made it better would be if there were autograph/photo ops with Coach. Would have also been better if I won the raffle :D

- Coach is all Gator. This is his dream job. You hear that a lot, but I think this is genuinely the case.

- He wants to make Saturday Gameday THE EVENT "like a state fair or rock concert". I love this. We need to pack the Swamp from Day 1. Says the energy will fuel the team.

- Coach is funny. Had a ton a great lines. Some were scripted, some were improvised. He is definitely not PC and not in a douche way (Saban, Belichick, Pop). I think you will enjoy his interviews and press conferences.

- He expects to win every game. I expect us to win every game. There is no other way to think in my opinion.

- He thinks Branding is huge. I kind of knew this about him and I like it. Everything Gators all the time. I think the UAA and some former Gators could learn some things about this.

- Speaking of Branding, he was asked about Jumpman and said he is very excited (he is a sneaker buff) and the players, recruits and kids are too. I am a little skeptical as I think Nike is #1, but as long as it has Gators on it I am fine.

- As lerx said, the QB's have a lot of work to do and they need to do it on their own. Wasn't an overwhelming vote of confidence in them, but I think he believes that we will be okay at that position.

- Dan Mullen is going to WIN and he is going to WIN BIG. I don't know if it's going to be sooner than later, but it will happen.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    I really enjoyed hearing coach Mullen speak yesterday. He was very personable, had a great sense of humor, and told some good stories. I think he was very gracious to our prior staff about the team's struggles, and put his energy into forward looking optimism and where we want to be, rather than dwell on particular failings of the past.

I thought his answer to the QB question was good. He acknowledged that Franks was probably asked to do too much last year, and his confidence was shattered. He mentioned Trask being injured and not playing. And Jones being in high school. He made a very good point about how QBs have to take a step forward in the offseason. Not just these guys, he said at everyone place he's coached. And the good QBs (Leak, Tebow, Dak) worked hard over the summer, studied film, and came to fall camp as better QBs. He said for us to be successful next year, one of our guys needs to do that. Ideally all 3, and then we have a great QB competition pushing each other in fall camp.

He said they are limited to 25 practices before the first game next year (reduced). 5 of those are game week prep, so it's really 20 practices to get everyone in sync and the offense installed. He stated that it can't physically be done in 20 practices - that's why it's so key for the QBs to work independently and learn as much as possible on their own during the offseason. He talked about how QBs usually learn from a prior QB how to prep in the offseason. Leak kinda had to do it on his own. Tim learned from Leak. Cam and Brantley learned from Tim. Dak learned from the previous QB (I forget his name). He said he's constantly telling them what they need to do in the offseason.

On fan/crowd involvement, he had a few good points to make. One was related to his running the Boston Marathon. He highlighted the difference between a 20 mile training run (slog), and running 26 at Boston with half a million spectators cheering you on. He then talked about the extra crowd energy pushes the players to give that much more effort on gameday. He mentioned that he took Miss St from 38k average attendance to 65k over his tenure. When he was at UF before, we never had less than 90k at a game. Last year, we didn't have a single game reach 90k. He said he wasn't there to hit us up for new donors/boosters. What he asked for was AIS (Asses in Seats) in the fall. He said if you have tickets and can't make it to the game, give them to a friend, give them to a neighbor. Let them take their kid, take someone who's never been to a game. Create the next generation of gator fans, and potentially future gator players.

Then he dropped a great anecdote - Maybe you give your tickets to a family from the Phillipines, so they can take their 7 year old son. Maybe that kid has a great time, and Danny Wuerffel signs his ticket after the game. Ten years later, what if that kid signed with UF and won a Heisman trophy and 2 national championships. Yes, this actually happened with Tebow - he says meeting Danny Wuerffel as a kid after a game is one of the reasons why Tim signed with UF.

Back to the crowd issue - he wants us at the games. He wants the atmosphere back. Not only does it fuel the current player, the atmosphere attracts the better recruits. Which makes the team better. He mentioned players saying how the spring game was the best Gator Walk they've ever seen. His response: "Guys, this is just the spring game". He remembers the crowd being 30-40 deep, and that they want a longer walk so they can high five more people. He also mentioned how important it is for us in S Fl to wear our gator gear, show a UF presence, so potential recruits see the strength of Gator Nation.

Another question was about our difficulty in signing 4-5* OL talent. He had a great answer about how OL is probably the most difficult position to scout, because you really have to project/guess how someone might develop, and what they'll be like in 2-3 years. He pointed out that the genetic pool of high schoolers that are already 6'6, 315, with phenomenal athleticism is extremely limited. To laughter, he asked anyone in the room matching those specs to please stand up. He also pointed out that the Pounceys were only 3* recruits, and were only considered to be the 4th and 5th best players on their HS team (keep in mind, we signed 7 from that Lakeland team).

A former player (OL, didn't catch his name) asked about our lack of success in recruiting Broward/Dade, and out of state teams poaching some of those players. Mullen pointed out that our current roster contains more Broward/Dade players than the teams he coached on his prior tenure at UF. He mentioned that due to the larger number of players in the area, many will sign elsewhere. But we don't just sign anyone, we are looking for players that are the right fit.

When asked about playing Miss St next year, he mentioned that he's undefeated as a head coach when playing his former school, and plans to keep that streak alive. He did mention that when his Miss St team beat UF, he felt like he may have cost Tim a second Heisman. There were two pick 6s in that game. He said he knew Tim's vulnerabilities, suggesting he had game planned to take advantage of them. He said that he knows Miss St's weaknesses too.

I'll add more if anything else comes to me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Huge strides is an understatement...
    Franks is not the answer...
    Trask has not started since middle school and Jones needs a RS.
    JB is really a must...if we can get him.

10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    MSU and Mullen didn't beat UF until 2010, Meyer's last year. Tim was gone then.

I do seem to recall Tim throwing some interceptions against MSU when we beat them in Starkeville in 2009.

11. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Say what now? Tim was gone by then.

12. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    You're right, I mixed those two stories together pretty good. He talked about Tebow throwing picks, and beating UF. I think his particular statement was that he's undefeated as a head coach at Florida Field against a team he previously coached. I forgot that we played them in back to back years there...

13. unofficialgator

unofficialgator Freshman

Sep 1, 2014
    hmm didn't know about it until you included me- I live pretty close to that area might've been able to go had I known sooner.

14. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    You would have been fired up! Could have asked him a question.

15. unofficialgator

unofficialgator Freshman

Sep 1, 2014
    The only thing thats gonna fire me up is some W's right now lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Here you go...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1