Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Coach Mike White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by mogator1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    There has been just a wee bit of criticism of MW's coaching ability this year -offense, defense, everything but OOB's plays. And some of it has certainly been deserved.
    But it is only fair to also give him praise when hi coaching is what wins us games and, IMO, he made 2 GREAT coaching calls that won us this game.
    1) Going to the 3-2 zone in the second half changed all of the MO and totally got GA out of their rhythm. I have been critical of CMW not changing defenses in similar situations and games in the past but he certainly did this game and it was GENIOUS!!! Keep it up Coach!
    2) Inserting Tre for Noah was also a key move. NL was clearly off tonight with his shooting and he was not quick enough to stay with the athletic GA guards. Putting in Trey solidified our 2'nd half D and, as a bonus, Tre knows how to shoot after all. Who knew?
    Now let's carry this over to the next few games and get on a W streak!!!

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was going to post the same about the 3-2 defense. Finding something that worked and sticking with it.
    I also would give CMW credit for staying with the same 5 on the floor during that 3-2. Yes Blackshear had to come out for a short while with 4 fouls but he kept everyone else in the game. At the time I was worried those 5 would run out of gas and we would watch Georgia make the last run for the comeback. I kept wondering when he would rotate. To his credit he didn't and it made all the difference in the outcome.
    Now we have to see if we finally have another defense that we can compete with and turn this team around.

3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Those are very valid points, but they are taken under consideration of the circumstances where he found himself down 22 points to a team that had just lost to a 1-6 team in the league. Why did we not use different defenses all game? Why did we not press all game?

Georgia was up significantly on us and pressed. We have not utilized the press significantly all season. Yet we have a team full of guards on the roster. Why have players who are in a position to keep pressure on opponents, fall back and allow the team to shoot layup after layup?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    OP... Please visit the thread which includes my "poetic waxing" [sic] about thread titles. Thank you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    I’m pretty sure we have mods to police content on GC, no? Please let them do that. Thank you.

Edit: I do prefer a thread title that contains some suggestion of the content. But, I don’t think everyone on GC has to acquiesce to that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019

I totally agree that we should press more than just at desperation time and I have advocated for such in numerous other threads. And I admit to being one of the few, the proud, the CMW supporters so there is that...BUT my point in this thread was that I was very encouraged to see CMW make in game adjustments. I like MW as a representative of the university, as a recruiter, and as a defensive coach. And I liked the way his teams played at La Tech (which hasn't been the case at UF so far). But IMO his biggest area of weakness has been lack of in game adjustments & managing the game flow.
    In this game he made 2 very bold (for us) adjustments that won us the game. I don't recall us using a 3-2 zone before this past game so for MW to unveil this in the middle of the game caught GA totally off guard and they didn't know how to handle. I am not saying the 3-2 zone is magical and if we play it the rest of the season we win out. But the element of surprise at just the right time in the flow of the game was perfect and it was, in my mind, a big moment of growth for CMW.
    And the same thing applies to Tre subbing for NL. Coach White has said that NL is very good and accountable defensively and is one of the vocal leaders on the team. But he wasn't quick enough to stay in front of the GA guards and for CMW to insert Tre and for him to play what I think was his best, most accountable game defensively, shows growth for player and coach.
    CMW is a young coach with some good strengths and needed growth. I saw some steps forward in this last game and wanted to point out & celebrate those.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey, I'll do whatever I like. you guys keep posting the name of the coach with some dribble about him after that. That's fine. It's rude. It's lazy. But go right ahead.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    CMW has a group who are just not coming together...
    It happens, team chemistry is never a given.
    For this team to get where they can, each guy is going to have to his part. If your off, your off. Putting Tre in the game offered a slasher that could take his guy off the dribble.

Each game is a puzzle at the moment, I like how Coach White is always looking for the right fit. He'll tinker, reminds me of the Celtics last year and watching Brad Stevens attempting to alter what was. I'm not saying were that dysfunctional, were just not coming together

• Like Like x 1
  9. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Thank you