Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach Mike White Preparing for Championship Run

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jun 29, 2018.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think we have added more talent in the last two classes than we have had in a while. They are young and inexperienced. Can we stay healthy? Hudson, Allen, Hayes and Stone give us a very experienced starting 4. I think we will be very good by the end of the year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Since UF played in the Final Four as recently as 2014, I assume your argument is the failure to return to the Final Four during the three whole seasons since Billy left constitutes falling off the map.

Okay, then, but it's going to be a fairly empty map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    With that criteria, might be only , what?, 3-4 teams ON that map; the rest of the programs: Off!

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yeah, Johnson and Stokes are the wildcards.

If one or both of them can be solid contributors, and no injuries elsewhere, at least then we should have good depth. I think we are lacking that beast in the middle on defense especially, but at least the depth would be there and that helps. It's just hard to trust considering neither played last year, and Johnson's "injury" was a bit of a mystery deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Since we have no proven big that can score in the post we will struggle in the half court sets again. I think we just need to play up and down basketball and use our athleticism to get points.

6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    a game, any game does not a season make. That said, I hope we crush them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Falling off the map occurs when a team who has won zero national championships beats you in recruiting year in and year out after the years you win back to back championships. For the most part, that has been the case with FSU and UF. It is absolutely inexcusable! They have doubled our number I bet- of 5 star (McDonald All Americans) out of HS over the past 7 years. How? Why? And even with them, they have won absolutely nothing. They have completely wasted talent. If that is not a recruiting tool against them, I don't know what is. In 2016 we were not even in the top 40 in recruiting- two years after making the Final Four as a #1 seed and going undefeated in the conference. If that is not falling off I don't know what is.

Has White righted the ship? Yes. Is the outlook bright for us? Yes. But we have had some remarkably dark days (injuries played their part) despite having a better run in the tournament over the last ten years than every team in the NCAA except North Carolina.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Miami and FSU had both been out recruiting UF. However, I think we turned the corner with our most recent class. Let’s see if Coach White can do again with recent turnover on his staff???

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    How? Why? You ask. Easy: we haven’t been getting caught up in the shoe companies or $$ bidding wars.

I guess we all have different ideas of falling off the map. UF has had pretty good success in the NCAA’s. Comparatively speaking...over the long haul. Now, if you just look at last year, than i’d Say that’s rather myopic.

Btw, how does this most recent UF class compare to FSU’s? Just asking?

10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
  11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gators have their own version of *jumpman* in Keyonte Johnson! Maybe do a silhouette of K Johnson’s jump....sell them at games??

Idea 2:
    ** Gator pep band can play a modified version of soundgarden’s Spoonman for Keyonte: “Jumpman Johnson! “

12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I’m looking forward in seeing Stokes play. I’m expecting (hoping) he will resemble Harlem with his below the rim play and nimble feet.

13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I think he can (with a lot of work) resemble a Cameron Krutwig from Loyola. Light on their feet for their weights and great footwork. He'll probably need a full season under his belt before he gets to Krutwig's skillset but I'm sure he'll get there eventually now that he's got a qualified coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Hope so! Krutwig was a load.

People had a good laugh at the Gators when we lost at home to Loyola-Chicago. The laughter didn't end until those guys made the Final 4.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Seabud, you are actually looking at facts, rather than allowing your emotions to run ramshackle over your analytic mind. And as you noted, the key is that for FSU, the Gators always get their best game of the year in every competition because they are not the Flagship (Girl's School - Good Home Ec Program for sure), while, being early in the year, it's a time for the Gator Coaches to work toward the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    And Haslem too!:D

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    They are not in the AAU either and that kills them. They know they are not close to a flagship.

BTW Sully has figured out the importance of beating the Nolies.

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We lost to FSU both years during our back to back championships. Losing to them is first order of business. I say we give the boys a night off and chance to heal.

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

FSU has so many people coming back that I think they basically took a year off from recruiting. We are ranked significantly higher than they are class wise. I watched the game painfully last year, and man for man they appeared to be on another level than we were. Yes we had a bad game, but hopefully this year we will be able to establish an inside presence that will force defenses to not cheat by concentrating on our perimeter shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Informative Informative x 1