Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coach Mike White Preparing for Championship Run

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Jun 29, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida Gators Men’s Basketball Mike White Preparing for Championship Run in 2018-2019
    Stephen Cabrerra WRUF

The Florida Gators are looking to shake off the demons from last year. After going home in the NCAA March Madness round of 32, this year will have a focus on revenge for head coach Mike White.

Hudson’s return is a big factor that will come into play for Florida, but White has an even bigger hope for the offseason: Staying healthy. White admits that he has a small amount of trepidation every time there is physical contact on the court to get the ball for a big play.

Despite two of the foundations going off to the NBA to pursue their professional careers, the status of the team remains optimistic. White and the team will be looking to put Florida Gators men’s basketball right back on the map.

combo print and Audio
    Florida Gators Men’s Basketball Mike White Preparing for Championship Run in 2018-2019 - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF

• Like Like x 2
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll believe them when they start by beating Florida State.

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Maybe putting FSU first, it will benefit the Gators. In recent past, we were facing them after a holiday tourney....perhaps a little fatigued, both physically and mentally. ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Everything is to build to the ncaa’s. Gotta set up the season to peak then!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    To the WRUF reporter: When did the UF program fall off the map? I must have been looking the other way.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    At least this group can shoot and is both long and very athletic. Those are qualities that can lead to Championships. However, the SEC has become a considerably tougher Conference - Jeeezzz, even Ky has a Graduate Transfer who's gonna play a lot (An experienced player for Cali - UNHEARD OF!), which reduces the chances of a good team winning a Championship.

At this time of year, everyone is optimistic about their chances - it's just part of Human Nature. This group could be very, very good, or not quite so good, but they almost surely will not be Baddddddd - except on offense perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Hopefully Coach White is now recruiting players for his system and can play the high tempo ball he desires. Have not had depth or athleticism to do that in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Inga, I think we're seeing that. He recruits a lot of athletic guys in the mid-size range. The guards he's bringing in will all be long and rangy disruptors on the perimeter. Billy was more okay with small guards.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    While I hate losing to the Noles at anything, to use them as any form of talisman for basketball success is ludicrous. First, we play them early in the season. I know Donovan, and think White, use early games to help teams find themselves and improve. They try different line ups and put players in positions to fail/learn for the long run, versus just playing to win. All great hoops coaches do this. Second, for FSU, beating UF is all they want. Beating us or the ACC blue bloods (Duke etc) is a successful season for them. Finally, beating them has no relationship to "White leading UF on a Championship Run" (the title of the OP) as evidenced by us losing to them in 2007 in the midst of winning our second consecutive title.

When a Nolie mentions hoops to me and mentions beating us, I say "isn't that special. Do you keep that trophy next to your ACC championship or National championship trophy?" I mean, seriously, I do want to beat them but the bragging rights for such a win are pretty ephemeral and certainly not germane to a nattie.

Now, as to football, we really need a win soon as losing to them and sucking overall is pretty damn annoying.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There is no question that our program has been leapfrogged from the stand point of recruiting and ranking by both Miami and FSU- two schools that haven't come close to winning a national championship let alone two back to back in the last 10-15 years. The fact that we are looking at a program that has not (with the exception of the Final Four team that was ranked #1 going into the tournament) gotten to a Final Four after dominating college basketball the way we did, could be characterized as falling off the map in my opinion.

Injuries have played a large part, but we have had opportunities to win games that mattered where people just didn't show up. White has to get a significant percentage of his players to show up every night. It doesn't have to be the same players, but with our depth, we should be able to count on 3-4 people who are operating on all cylinders every night. That will make us competitive every night. We also need an unexpected surprise. Last year we got it with Koulechov, Hudson and Okauru. But we need someone whom we weren't expecting to to average 12-14 points a game to take the pressure off of other players.

Our 9 of our losses last year were by 3, 6, 2, 6, 5, 2, 3, 5, 3. That's how close we were to being an elite team. A little more defense and focus on offense and a 21-13 team is a 28-6 team (7-2 on those 9 games we lost by 6 or fewer). When you lose by two possessions, it comes down to who wants it more. White has to get our program to want it more. Five games lost by one possession is too much with the talent and experience we have this year.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ballard is capable of 10-12 a night if he gets his confidence back. He looked like a decapitated chicken there late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Ummm.... No, those schools have not "leapfrogged us in ranking." Miami has done nothing in rankings/results. FSU has one recent NCAA run, slightly better than ours in the tourney last year and worse than ours the year before. No rationale fan puts either program in the same sentence with us either recently or over the last 25 years. Put it this way, FSU has not been to the final 4 since the 70's. We were there in 2014 after 3 straight elite 8s. Saying they have leapfrogged us is silly and ignores the truth that any knowledgeable fan looks at FSU as nothing in hoops and us as a serious power.

On the other hand, we did not "dominate" college basketball - hell, we did not even dominate the SEC. We became elite under Donovan but we were hardly dominate outside of the second title run. Donovan had his ups and downs too.

We have been to the elite 8 and the round of 32 the last 2 years. If that is "falling off the map" I will take it. Let's not oversell out past or under rate our present.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't see it.

Although with Hudson back I don't think we'll be "rebuilding" like I thought we'd be doing if he left. Without Hudson I was expecting us to be very young and relying too much on freshmen. With him back, that is 30 minutes a game going to a talented 5th year scoring machine.

I think we are still a big man away. But no doubt, improvement over last year should be the goal. First thing is doing a better job at home... WAYYYY to many home losses last year. Although the team was also great on the road at times, hope we can keep that LOL, last year's team was just hard to figure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    comes down to what kind of play we get from the point and what we get out of the post.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    I love this years class A LOT but really wish we had at least 1 big to round it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Type of write up and info to get gator fans pumped!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Definitely need to hit on one this coming recruiting class!

19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’n comfortable without our having added a big man. We have Hayes, Gak, Bassett, Stone, Stokes and Johnson at the 2 big men spots. I feel pretty good about that group. It’s their time to shine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I think we see a lot of and from Johnson if he can stay healthy and on the court

• Agree Agree x 1