Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Coach Grant

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 25, 2020.

1. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Sounds like you need to brush up on what regression looks like

2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Kinda like going from winning back to back titles to a losing record?

Billy is a legend and it still happened to him. However we have keyboard warriors around here acting like it's the end of the world because Mike White's team did too...

3. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Winning back to back titles and regressing from a 4 to a 10 seed are not comparable.

I also don't think they are keyboard warriors, I think the concern about MW is valid. And at 12-7 with this team, I think it is acceptable to sound the alarm.

4. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    First of all, back to back to a losing record is not comparable to going from 4 to 10. It's worse.

There's nothing wrong with "sounding the alarm" or talking about the chance that he may not be the guy but for his work so far, Mike deserves this year and next year and guess what, he's going to get it unless we don't make the tourney this year and start next year terrible as well.

So all you people need to sit back and relax. AD's don't make knee-jerk reactions like the fans do... thankfully.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Wait what? My guy....Billy D won back to back titles, lost the entire core of that roster...then won 24 and 25 games (getting screwed out of a tourney birth both years) is immensely better than getting a 4 seed (27 Ws), then a 6 (21 Ws), then barely scraping your way in as a 10 seed (20 Ws) the following year...and now at 12-7 with a tourney appearance looking bleak..I'm sorry what are you talking about?

The 16-17 year Billy lost the entire core of an elite 36 win team the previous year, his first losing season (or under 20 wins) since his second season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach Grant PLEASE come HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Dude, I can’t believe there are any White apologists left. Dude is not leading. He’s coaching scared and is not instilling any confidence in our kids. Time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Isn’t Scott Stricklin the most active AD on twitter interactive with fans? I don’t have twitter but people who do, please reach out to him and ask!

• Like Like x 1
  9. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    But please, if you do, don't be an ass about it.

10. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    He is home already at Dayton, his alma mater. He is doing well there in the A-10, just like at VCU. Watched him at Bama..didn't work out. Leave him be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    The seat is definitely warming up but unless we completely tank the rest of the season, the Elite 8 and 2 tournaments will give White another year, like it or not. That doesn't give the next guy very much confidence by firing White. In their mind, ok a couple tournament appearances and a bad year because of a new roster and I'm gone? It's simply not going to happen. We would have to damn near lose every game here on out for White to get fired this season. He has at least the beginning of next season to turn it around so sit tight guys.

If he is gone, I don't understand why we are begging for someone who didn't work out in the SEC. It's ridiculous. A different coach, sure thing... a coach that already failed before and is only a bad season away from some of you calling for his head too? Hard pass....

12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He was NIT, 4, 6, 10, and probably NIT

So let’s say he was the 45th best team, 14th team, 22nd, 38th and 45th

Is that fireable at UF? I’d say absolutely.

Making a NCAA tournament is like making a bowl

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    He coached a team that could have won it all and was a shot or two from at least making the final four. Two years removed from a losing season which oh by the way that next year he turned into a 20+ win team.

Stop trying so hard to blame the NIT on him when Billy handed him a dud of a team that even he couldn't bring to 20 wins or a winning record (you know, that regression you talked about).

The guy has earned a year assuming he doesn't completely tank this season. And yes, if we make the NIT or even a low tournament seed and out the first round, he will get that last year.

Fans try so hard to make knee jerk decisions, some of you should definitely not be the CEO of companies, you wouldn't have employees.

14. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Are you really going to compare the condition of Alabama when AG took over vs the condition of Florida when MW took over?

You've already clearly lost one argument in this thread, don't set yourself up to lose another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    "Lost an argument already" lmfao... you really think highly of YOUR opinion, don't you. I'd say your like to dislike ratio should tell you enough about what people think of you and your "opinions".

Besides, I never compared what Grant took over @ Alabama to what Mike took over at Florida. That's something you brought up, which again, may explain your like to dislike ratio -- ie misrepresenting someone's post. I simply said he failed in the SEC and we want to give him a job in the.... drum roll... SEC. It's a ridiculous line of reasoning.

Not sure why I'm even arguing though, you already said it, you "won" the argument. Your opinion is right and mine is wrong. Hell while you're at it, throw your resume in the ring hoss. Everyone would love to see what you can do with this team since you're the expert.

16. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    1: My dislike ratio has nothing to do with anything...other than I don't stay on the safe side of the opinion game and I don't bow down to the holy gator.

2: "First of all, back to back to a losing record is not comparable to going from 4 to 10. It's worse." You said this....As in trying to say Mike White regressing from a 27 win 4 seeded team to a 19-16 10 seed in 3 seasons is better than BD winning back to back titles and missing out on a tourney twice (read as being screwed) after winning 24 and 25 games in those two seasons, then making three straight elite 8's followed by a Final Four, then having one off season due to him losing the entire core of that team. This isn't an opinion of one "regression" being better than other, its a FACT that BD's "regression" would be preferred by likely all if not every fan over MW's in the past 3 seasons.

3: Apologies on the misrepresentation, I misread your post and got it jumbled. You in fact, did not make that comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    No worries, I don't always stay safe (check Too Hot ;) ) but I try to give Gator coaches their time to get it right. I personally feel like Mike deserves one more year as there are plenty of variables going into what has transpired this season. I do agree the seat is starting to get hot, that's not what is in question. What is in question is when is the right time to fire a coach? I simply don't think it's off of nearly a final four, all 20 win seasons and one bad season so far with 7 brand new players and a couple others that barely played last year. We have to remember that yes, this is the team Mike put together but it's also a team with nearly no time playing any meaningful basketball together until this season. They have the talent to beat anyone in the country by double digits, but sadly they also can lose to teams like Mississippi. If we make the NIT or barely make the tournament, be prepared for him to get at least the beginning of next season to show that he can turn it around.

If not, I'll be right next to you guys calling for his head.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's not knee jerk.

The last 3 years we have basically been getting worse. Three full seasons. Now the 1st of these was pretty solid (actually started out amazingly hot offensively, then sort of saw the 1st hints of the downturn of the offense), and obviously White's peak was his elite 8 run. But that was with Donovan's players. It seems like since he's transitioned to all his own players, we've been on a steady slide... piling up losses at home and just not functioning at all as a basketball program.
    21-13 (5 home losses)
    20-16 (6 home losses)
    12-8

I felt pretty solid about White, even though last year was objectively bad, I bought in to the excuses. 1 bad recruiting class and some bad luck. Made sense. Some guys churned out of the program. But that wasn't supposed to happen this year, I was bought in for this year looking at those recruits. I was even going to be OK with another mediocre season, UNTIL Blackshear picked us. I really felt like getting that solid inside guy was the piece we'd been missing. Getting Blackshear really should have cemented us. The #6 ranking was probably hype getting carried away, we aren't THAT talented clearly, but to have us in freefall like this... something has to be wrong at the top IMO.

19. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’m with you boss. Just bec I’m critical of some things about white doesn’t mean I’m not riding with him. I genuinely believe he’s the right guy

20. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    This team is very frustrating...I don't ever want it to seem like I'm calling for his head, cause I'm still a MW guy till he isn't HC anymore - but I also feel on the other end it may be time to start looking at what else is out there.