Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Clemson strategy to stop lsu?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jan 9, 2020.

1. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Easy to imagine this game having a total score of 100 points. Which means, it will likely be 24-20.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. UrbanGator

UrbanGator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Maitland, Florida
    How e nobody is asking what L$U has to do to sto Clem? Say what you will about Clemens schedule, but they have an SEC quality defenses and a top shelf offense.

Clemson has the intangible of having been in this position before. They won’t be blinded by the lights. I think 35-31 with the tigers winning. The tigers from the Real Death Valley...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    LSU is the perfect storm this year from a CFB perspective. A QB that is accurate on short, middle, and long passes, mobile, and comfortable throwing in traffic. Great players at TE, RB, and all 3 WR positions, and most critically, all are amazing catching the ball in traffic. I've never seen a team win so many 50-50 balls.

And their defense is no slouch.

If you are Clemson, you have literally nothing to lose. There is no point dropping into coverage because the WR can make catches while covered and Burrow WILL throw to covered receivers. Zone is worthless, so all that leaves is just PRESSURE and score on offense on almost every possession.

Maybe start with just the front 4 on your first possession to see if you can get pressure, but if it were me, I would just assume that doesn't work and just blitz all game long.

I mean you have to look at it this way. They are so good that if you just sit back they may score on every single possession. You might as well role the dice and just viciously attack them on every play and hope some bounces go your way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Trevor Lawrence is a national championship winning QB with big game experience. Even if his schedule was soft this year, he's been in the title game before and performed at a high level as an underdog against a team that was supposed to dominate him. Burrow has had a season for the ages and is clearly the favorite, but we simply don't know how he will respond to the bright lights and pressure with a championship on the line.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. 1955Gator

1955Gator Sophomore

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa
    Then make the Clemson backup win the game too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    On defense, rush only 4 and have a safety type to play spy on Burrow. But mostly, they need to play "keep away" from them by playing sound, time consuming football on offense where it ends in TDs.

THEN they may have a chance based on the way the ball bounces.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    ;)Any truth to the rumor Venables wanted to kidnap Joe Brady?;) IMO, the team that plays the best defense wins. Both offenses are outstanding but I think one D or the other will get a game winning stop or takeaway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was the Auburn LSU game a fluke or did it really reveal a weakness of LSU. I remember questioning LSU's defense because Vanderbilt scored 38 points. But then they played Texas A M and the defense was totally dominating. Clemson has a coaching staff and a QB who beat the stuff out of Alabama last year. As good as Joe Burrow has been this year he has not played on this stage before. Does defense still win Championships? Clemson just beat Ohio State a coach and aQB in their first playoff appearance. I want to see LSU beat them bad but intangibles favor Clemson

9. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    They definitely had a weak schedule. But didn't Lawrence impress you for his toughness and performance against Ohio State? Clemson looked down and out. That QB lifted them up and gave them new life and they looked like a totally different team after his long TD run.

I do not like Clemson because Dabo Swinney is so annoying. I hope LSU destroys them. But I think people are underestimating Clemson because of their weak schedule.

10. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Pay the Refs double the normal mount :cool:

11. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    Wait till 4th quarter is over !!

12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

SF won by loading up the defensive backfield and conceding the run game. Miami was totally one-dimensional and everything they had was Marino throwing the ball. SF took that away. Dolphins ran the ball I think something like 7 or 8 times the whole game. And lost. If they had a balanced offense it would have been a different result.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Supergatorfan

Supergatorfan GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Venables needs to make sure his DBs turn their heads and find the ball in the air. Burrow completes 10-12 back shoulder, 50/50 jump balls a game. If DBs can turn and find the ball there could be 3 or 4 picks.

Easier said than done...

14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think that understates how good the LSU receivers are at securing the ball. I do not see any chance for a team to pick off 3 or 4 against LSU's receivers unless Burrow starts throwing ducks that go to the DB.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I'm not counting Clemson out but it will be tough. Most people didn't give Clemson a chance vs bama last year with bama's high scoring offense. And yet Clemson shut them down especially in the red zone. To beat LSU, Clemson's front four has to bring pressure period. Clemson cannot give up the big plays, make lsu earn every inch. And when lsu gets into the red zone, that's when Clemson needs to hold them to fgs. I would spend extra time in practice focusing on red zone D to force fgs. The other key is Clemson's offense needs time consuming drives that results in TD's. Limit lsu's possession. Clemson can't forget or dismiss lsu's running game, if they become too pass conscious lsu has the rbs that can burn them.

It should be an interesting game one that I still think lsu wins handily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. avgator2000

avgator2000 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    LSU’s WRs are a nightmare. That’s their version of Ike and Reidel. What makes that offense even more scary is Burrow can pick up yards with his legs. Thank sweet baby Jésus or Tom Cruise that he is out of eligibility.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. UrbanGator

UrbanGator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Maitland, Florida
    I think Clemsons defensive plan will be to not let the receivers get behind them. Much of L$U yardage is YAC. Tackle well and you make L$U March down the field in 10-12 play drives. This takes time off the clock and will possibly end up in field goals instead of TDs.

If Clemson can make this work, the question becomes what can L$U do to stop the Clemson offense?

18. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    yep. An easy schedule will get you there but doesn’t do a great job for preparing you to be there.

warm regards,

Troy Smith

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Strategy aside, Clemson simply has to hope its defensive players are better than LSU's offensive players. 14 teams which include Florida, Alabama, Ohio State , Auburn and Georgia tried a bunch of different things . They have good D coaches too. None have worked. At the end of the day, those teams didn't have enough talent to match LSU's offense. Clemson might be the best D that LSU will have played. We'll see. I doubt it. LSU by 17.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Sophomore

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    LSU earned that ranking while playing UF, UGA, Auburn and Bama.

Clemson got that ranking playing some guys. (highest ranked team by the end of the season was UVA which should drop out of the top 25 after losing to us in the Orange Bowl). Oh and OSU which had 2 td's taken away by the refs. (one on a similar play that was ruled a catch against us in the UGA game)

• Winner Winner x 1