Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Clemson strategy to stop lsu?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jan 9, 2020.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I am looking forward to how Clemson's DC will try to slow down the offense of lsu. He is one of the best at it so this should be interesting. At this stage of the game I can't imagine lsu's qb being fooled by varied coverages. And hoping Burrow has an off night well he hasn't had one all year. Yet, if Clemson is successful in limiting the offense, it should help us in our preparation next year. Yes, I know Burrow leaves, but it's a system run by an excellent coach.

So, if you were coaching Clemson's D and they have a good D, what would you do besides pray? Me, I would use press coverage most of the time, I would challenge my front 4 to provide controlled pressure keeping Burrow in the pocket. I would have a speedy spy knowing Burrow can damage you with his legs. And I would hope for a little luck like drop passes or bad throws. So, what would u do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Try to put 15 players on the field and not get flagged for it

• Funny x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I guarantee the tigers beat em. The team who plays in Death Valley will win.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Creative x 1
  4. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Auburn did the best this year with consistent pressure up the middle. Penetration from the tackles flusters every quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

If they try to "spend" a spy on Burrow...He'll just have another reciever, or Clyde Edwards-Hillaire as his favorite (and most potent) "dump-off" RB in the flat...

Trying to bring pressure on Burrow constantly requires manpower...which plays right into Burrow's hands.

LSU is the complete package this year...and, Clemson will have to most likely pray.. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Turn the championship into a hair contest.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I would blitz plus one every time and make sure hit him as hard as possible and hopefully knock him out or make him skittish...you have to go to old school football. If he is comfortable he will pick you apart and you will lose. Mickey Andrews type defense...to the echo of the whistle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s it. Rush four on most downs and get pressure up the middle. They need the front four they had last year though.

9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Pressure with front 4. Nothing else will work.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    I followed the NFL in the 80s. _In 1984 Marino had a record breaking season and most of the pundits were asking what SF could do to stop him and Miami in the Super Bowl. They forgot to ponder if Miami could stop SF's offense. SF won 38-16. The Tiger Bowl should be a good game.

11. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Scoring Off.
    Lsu #1
    Scoring Def.
    Clemson #1

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    You do what Clowney did in the NFL playoff game and take the starting QB out of the game early. Hit him hard, hit him to the whistle, and maybe even take a few liberties along the way. Make LSU backup beat them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

One HUGE intangible turned very real......

LSU will be basically playing a home game., seeing the game is basically local,.

• Like Like x 2
  14. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I hope LSU steamrolls them, but I'm fearful Clemson is going to be better than people think.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Cheat.
    But they are both very good at.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Me?

I would not blitz much. Maybe a few times early on, to show that as my tendency. But I would try to generate some pressure with lineman. If I had one capable, I would rush three at times and drop one into coverage on the RB. I would press man the slants with help over the top- I would make him beat me on the out routes. Most of my blitzes would involve dropping a DE and rushing a LB or DB. Max coverage, at every down and distance. Give up the short run and make them drive the field. They can and will. If my team got down, then increase the blitzes some. But only if I was forced to. I would have a game plan ready for the 2nd half based on what they do well and try to stop that. I would not go zone, regardless of how many times they beat me in man. I would keep at it and hope for a big play by my D.

17. Rkb75

Rkb75 Junior

Sep 19, 2015
    Clempsum offense eats the clock with long drives that end with TDs, and thus limit the number of LSU possessions. Then hope they screw up a few times, and keep the score below 35. For instance, Gators only only had 7 full offensive possessions vs Ga because we ate the clock in the 2d half with long TD drives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    The biggest talent advantage for Clemson is at the QB position in all their games so far. That is negated by LSU. So the game will be determined by which O can stay balanced and let their QB operate effectively! I think LSU scheme wins out.

19. WhattaGator

The only problem with Clemson's "QB" advantage in their games so far...was that Lawrence actually only faced ONE real team all season...They had an extremely weak schedule....

On the other hand...Burrow simply bulldozed through many ranked opponents...is a lot more "battle-tested", and will be able to use that expoerience to beat Clemson..

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    How do you defend them? That's been every team's problem. You have to try to limit their possessions with time eating drives. I think. Easier said.

Spy burrow. He kills teams with those dern scrambles to the sticks.

Turnovers are huge to flip the script. You have to be on the plus side of that to win. Play sound ball and see who has the fewest mistakes.

Probably the best match up as clipson has the right combo of talent and experience. Recent trips should keep them from stepping in it. New scenario for lsu but they have sure looked the part.