Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Clemson recruiting accusation

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by antny, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The pay is not to come fr
    om the university, they will be able to accept outside money, sponsorships and the like.

2. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    They’ll be able to accept outside legal money. Once everyone is getting sponsorship money/gifts the illegal money not taxed by the IRS continues. This isn’t about keeping an enrolled student happy its about luring the best talent to your campus. Once they’re enrolled get them paid and throw as much as the agreed upon legal amount is. The illicit recruiting will only get more expensive now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007
    I think you’re underestimating people’s ethics. If there’s enough “legal” money involved it’ll cut down on the illegal activity. Some people will always go for the absolute most money they can, but a lot will be satisfied with earning something in college as opposed to the current income of zero.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    Whats the acceptable amount of cut down though? And the current income isn’t zero. They already get stipends. They eat for free and have nutritionists. What they don’t have are excessive amounts of spending money but other than the silver spooners who does in college? Again, I’m all for giving the players more. But once everyone is on equal footing or close to it with the increase in legal money to the players a school’s support network has to come up with a way to get the best players to their programs. Cars and jobs for parents will not be going away. Neither will the hundred dollar handshakes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    So they showed Tua's whole family on the game last night. Maybe totally legit but how does a multi member family just pick up and move to Tuscaloosa where their son plays football?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. metalcoater

metalcoater GC Legend

May 30, 2007
    That was a nice pressure washer, but the value was in the brand. Dabo's B!#@h Pressure Washing Service.

7. Zepgator

Zepgator All American

Oct 18, 2010
    Maybe it’s a different type of ‘pressure’ he is helping ‘wash away’.

8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Yep. Spiller and Dawkins, two Jacksonville guys who were gator fans. They were already cooking something over there in Clemp son way before Dabo got there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Spiller was definitely a local kid, but saying a kid from Union County is a Jacksonville kid is like saying a kid from Bradford County is a Gainesville kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007
    I agree it won’t eliminate it entirely. The Braves getting caught cheating in the international signing program is an example of a scheme designed to create fairness at the professional level that was circumvented.

That said, for every additional legitimate dollar that goes to players the likelihood of them and their families engaging in rule-breaking decreases. People don’t want to be called cheaters.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think there will any equal footing. Our long snapper won’t get what Trevor Lawrence does.

12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I said that because I know he was born in Jax and he went to Raines HS. Raines used to play my wife's old high school Jackson high in FB before. Also, in his NFL playing days with the Eagles he would occasionally stop by and talked at sports 930 radio show in the off season.

13. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    Our long snapper isn’t even on scholarship. And long snappers aren’t what you build championships on.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    What I’m saying is they will be paid what they can get on the open market. Nike and such companies as your local car dealership can pay whatever they want. I don’t think we are considering the actual university paying this money.

15. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Yes, gotcha with Dawkins. Went to Raines. Spiller was from Union County. Should have gotten both.

16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It was a raptor I believe

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    The bill that passed in Cali and that some states around here are now crafting is not one that would address or really affect general paying of players. It’s simply them profiting from their likeness. I can actually see this somewhat leveling the playing field between the “have’s”. I think we all are of the opinion that taking care of the players goes on in some capacity across upper echelon royalty type programs. I just think that the really egregious house or car type stuff maybe only really goes on in select places. It’s possible that this Pandora’s box will allow programs that try to stay somewhat low key about it to really let their nuts hang. It’s just a thought

18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Level the playing field? No way.

Kid gets recruited to Bama or Clemson. There is a "guarantee" that his jersey name/number will sell 500,000 and net him $50,000 per year. Then there are the 1,000s of autographs done by a machine that will net him another $50,000. His sweaty jock strap after a summer practice will auction off for $25,000.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And because our top athletes don’t have shiny things, our coaches aren’t elite recruiters. Give me a box of keys and I’ll get you a top class.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    With this new rule you would have to think Oregon is really going to be in great shape with Phil Knight being able to offer Oregon athletes crazy money for Nike branding and all legal. College sports is dirty now but what we are about to see happen to college sports is going to be insane. You will literally have juniors in college turning down going into the draft because they might make more money in college...it could get that bad.

• Agree Agree x 2