Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Clemson recruiting accusation

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by antny, Oct 25, 2019.

1. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Not sure if there is an actual inquiry or if this is just a worthless Twitter posting but if true then 2 things.

Is it even illegal for a booster to "buy" a business from a recruit's father?

Also if found to be true will people acknowledge there is a bit more to being known as a "great recruiter" from here on out?

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Nah, college football has been squeaky clean since the last school figured out how to cheat by the book.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    South Carolina put the QBs brother in their medical school and all their boosters are contributing to the parents charity.

you can’t stop boosters from offering parents of family members high paying jobs

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    At least when they can accept money we can quit acting as if these kids aren’t getting paid. The hypocrisy of it all is laughable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I just find it humorous when people claim coaches are just great recruiters. Clemson pulled in a few key studs like spiller and Watkins when the term clemsoning was in its heyday. There are so many documented issues with Bama over the years that have been washed over and now a long time protege of theirs is pulling in 1/4 of the 5 stars out there. I'm not sure how Meyer pulled Percy on the back of an 9 and 3 year and a struggling offense.

I guess all of the Mullen cant recruit talk has made me more reactive to this kind of stuff. Do we skirt the rules? No doubt. No program is spotless but I'm a broken record about my feelings about this stuff. I think Florida was relatively "clean" under Spurrier given our prior stiff penalties. I don't know how much our compliance dept has laxed over the years but one would think if the university of florida came offering what these other schools seem to be then there would be more high 4 and 5 stars signing up over the years.

FTR I'm pretty content with what we have lined up short of running back ILB and safety

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Lol I remember when Derrick Henry was at Bama and somehow was able to afford a brand new car...I believe it was a Dodge Charger.
    Also I believe it was maybe Nolan Smith one of the top recruits UGA got and he posted a pic of his brand new lifted ford f 150. I think he then deleted the pic not too long after he posted it

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

There's a video from an Auburn booster of the Alabama booster buying the charger and putting it in Henry's uncle's name.

It was a video of a brand new, $80k Raptor that Smith put on Twitter, and then deleted within 24 hours. The Raptor was also in his uncle's name.

8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    There are a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes in recruiting that we don't know about. I'm more inclined to think that our coaches/school try to follow the rules which puts them in a disadvantage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clemson has been cheating since the day that phony car salesman dabo the clown stepped on campus.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is the winning post on this thread.

He learned his "skills" with the help of a Bowden, Jeff?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. original zin

original zin Recruit

Oct 6, 2017
    Florida
    It could be said the cheating started way before Dabo. Clemson was put on probation after Pell left to come to UF. Danny Ford was the coach then. It seems all roads lead back to Bama. (Pell being from Bama)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Chantweaver

Chantweaver Premium Member

May 7, 2008
    Bama has such a huge machine to get it done. If you look at the programs that have gotten in trouble for receuiting ways. You will always find a program with another school in the state forcing that hand thru state court system. Then NCAA has to pull their head out of the sand.

Look at Ole Miss, SMU, USC, Miami and etc. You will see it all started by someone other than the NCAA.

Now you would think Auburn and SC would push for Bama and Clemson to get in trouble but inatead they go dirty with them. Auburn would get hammered if they made to big a stink. Sc just got hit.

Here in Florida do really think FSU would allow to much to go on by us. We can joke all we want but FSU may have done things like free shoes but never the level of Bama or Clemson and now UGA. Actually UGA and Lsu are going to be even scarier, who do they have to really keep a watch. GT doesn't care enough and no one in The Boot is big enough to make bourbon waves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ufmc84

ufmc84 Sophomore

Aug 13, 2017
    None of this changes by paying the players. I agree they should be given more in their stipends for what they do. But these cars and jobs for families will continue. The whole notion that if we just paid the players all this stuff goes away is obtuse. Not that I’ve seen anyone here say it but when you see the national debate it always comes up. These coaches, boosters, teams still need to attract the talent and they’ll do so by increasing the enticements. More scholarship money doesn’t change that, the illegal activities will continue.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree. This will still go on even if they are paid. Especially since these bag drops and cars etc. are tax free since the irs doesn’t know about it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd be shocked if this wasn't happening. Clemson didn't become a destination for so much FL talent without 'help'.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you honestly think paying these kids is going to stop the cheating? How much do you think a university is going to be able to pay these guys? It won’t be enough to discourage the kid from taking more - lots more - from bagmen. This is why the whole idea of paying players is ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The school doesn’t have to pay a dime because that’s not where the moneys at

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I
    if it’s legal we can try to keep up without repercussions

19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And how not to do it from Dumbose, Mike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Sophomore

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    My favorite was when Clemson had to buy Spiller twice; once as a recruit, then again when he wanted to transfer to UF.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1