Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cleaning house?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ArtVandelay, Jun 25, 2019.

1. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Could be. In fact, he may be right.. I just know that my ships (and those of my peers were pieced together through the regular academic financial aid office. There was simply no need for other outside booster support (Then again Ivy endowments are through the roof and are simply alumnae support in another form.) Same thing, different name

2. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It just sounded to me like something REALLY tough to compete with when Sully is running up against Vandy for some of these kids. It also made a little bit of sense when some of the Vandy Boys stay in school like they do.

3. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Makes sense.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well, @wingtee—all this talk just proves being as old as we are (coming along and playing before 11.7 scholarships) was a good thing...;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I hate to age you bro and I definitely dont want to offend you guys. But did colleage baseball used to be different as far as scholarships? Did everyone get a ride?

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lol—

No worries, I am proud to have made it to 67 years old. Everywhere I was associated with (both recruited and went there) the “full rides” generally went to starting pitchers—the only difference to position players was “meals” from the athletic departments with boosters picking up a lot of those. “Walk-on’s“ got books and a uniform. My college years were 1971-1974.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    • Agree Agree x 1