Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cleaning house?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ArtVandelay, Jun 25, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    They are taking Perry Field.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    My fav.. great athletes

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Hell Lurk these dogs lived with you! Of course they are smart. If I lived with you I’d even be smart.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Then again maybe its the dogs making @GatorLurker smarter....hmm.

5. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Never thought of that Matherly

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I walk my MIL's dog quite often and him hitting me is like a baserunner hitting Pete Alonso.

But he is very cute and women of all ages approach and smile when I walk him.

I keep telling my 23 year old son that he should be walking this dog. It is cheaper than going to bars.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    So true, The point is we don't play close to 85 players.
    11.7 is a joke. Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many ships you can give . Every school is the same I guess

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The total dollar amount of 11.7 scholarships to work with and then they have to blend that as best they can with academic scholarship dollars (based on the athletes ACT scores/ GPA’s)—so at least IMHO the athletic dollars portions become thinly cut pieces of pie...

9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The 11.7 scholarship limit skews the college game to middle class kids and keeps really poor kids out of the college game. They have to go the pro route out of HS and MLB teams know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    You would think with all the money that the SEC Network is paying us that there should be plenty of money there to do more full scholarships.

11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    And this is what really upsets me. Kids that could be using baseball as a means to earn an education and THEN play baseball are not doing it because of the NCAA. Nice work on that one fellas...

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Amen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you have any idea how expensive football is?

It is all about not taking a nickel from football. They could take a tiny sliver from football and make it happen, but they won't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    D1 coaches do not run guys off in the sense of telling them they are cut. They do tell players where they fall in the depth chart and what their evaluation is. Some kids do not like it but you know where you stand in order to make decisions based on what you want. For instance if a guy came in last year and got limited at bats and is told he is still behind someone on the depth chart that player can choose to leave. I think in today's generation it is easy to transfer and go play.

Also think about this. In D1 your scholarship is typically a partial at best. If a kid is buried on a depth chart and can go JUCO it is fully funded. Not only that the kid can play right away. He is draft eligible after one year and if not drafted can bounce back to a better fit at a different D1 school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would second this. Most coaches are going to have individual exit meetings with every player after the spring and the fall. A good coach is honest and lets a guy know where he stands. Not only is the JUCO option attractive due to a lot of scholarship money, there is also strong D2 baseball in the state and those programs are littered with D1 transfers from power programs. It generally is a good thing for the school and the player. Some guys chose to hang in and accept a limited role, some opt to transfer and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. Depends on the individual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No need to cut FB ships, I would like to see at least 22 full ships for baseball.

17. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Somebody told me not long ago that everyone at Vandy is on a full ride. What isnt given in schollies (athletic and academic) is picked up by the boosters. It didnt sound right to me at the time - but I was curious if anyone here knows for sure?

18. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I know nothing about the booster input ( and do not believe it,) but other top academic schools (like in the Ivy League) regularly piece together scholarships which amount to a full ride for athletes. I know from personal experience that boosters are superfluous.

19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder what kind of scholarship Lou Gehrig got to Columbia. It is my understanding that he was also a stellar student.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It was passed along to me as they are academic scholarships paid for by baseball boosters behind the scenes. They also pay for actual academic scholarships for students who dont play sports as well. Again - no idea if its true but it came from a dude fairly connected to the program.

• Informative Informative x 2