Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cleaning house?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ArtVandelay, Jun 25, 2019.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I work with the mother of an ex-Gator and he told her Sully has told a bunch of the Freshmen to "find another place to play". Any truth to this?

2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Cant comment on Sully, but fairly common in general I think, especially on teams with a lot returning.

AU for example, after draft, etc had 31 of 35 returning.. Yesterday 3 rarely used players entered the portal. So 7 now empty spots, but still 11 incoming FR..

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    most kids at the collegiate level can read the depth chart and make decisions based on anticipated playing time, every one of them was a star someplace before they got to UF, the really smart ones don't need to be encouraged to leave, elsewhere look at the MBK roster

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Other than the ones who have already departed, I am stumped as to who would be the bunch of Freshmen discarded. Can't imagine you'd want to run off Fabian, Young, Callilao, Specht, Luethje, Scott, Pogue, Crisp, or Acton.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Sully has never shied away from using FR. If you were a FR this year and didn’t get to play, the odds of playing next year aren’t great. It is what it is.

I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that didn’t play as a FR and all of a sudden played a bunch as a Soph. Maybe Byrne?? There might be a couple more relievers in there. Any position players?

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I would have to think that the freshmen that played this year are OK.

I am kind of sad to see Ruth leave. He was still in recovery from Tommy John and I thought that Sully did a good job letting him pitch some in prep for next season. I suspect he will be a star wherever he goes.

Does Sully have a problem with too many incoming players and needs to open up some spots or is this just some negative crap?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agree with you Lurk on Ruth—I’ll always pull for our “TJ” guys—I wish him the best for his future.

As to your second point/question, I think the dog’s tail might be caught under the tire....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I like boxers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lol, I was just referring to the negative noise you questioned.;)

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    OK.

When I was a kid we had a wonderful dog that was a boxer. So he had to have a clipped tail.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^

Boxers are great dogs!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    And wonderful with children.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I haven't had a dog for a number of years. My last dog was an American Foxhound that my family wanted from a humane society adoption. I was wary because hunting dogs are not usually good house pets, but I was talked into it.

Good thing.

Beau was wonderful. I loved that dog. I was really sad when we had to put him down due to cancer. I have had smarter dogs. I had an incredibly smart Dalmatian. And I had an incredibly devoted dog that was a black lab/keshound hybrid but she was a head case. But Beau was the best dog. I miss him.

Now I walk my MIL's dog (Poodle/Caviler King Spaniel cross) on occasion. We spoil him like a grandchild. He is allowed on our coach and on our bed. I would never allow that with one of my own dogs.

• Like Like x 3
  14. kgator27

kgator27 Sophomore

Jun 30, 2018
    Confusing us with FSU? Hearing “Meat” (that’d be the ridiculous nickname for Mike Martin Jr, if someone didn’t know) has cut 7 Freshman.

Guess the new HC didn't like the last recruiting coordinator’s evaluations. Wait... wasn’t he the recruiting coordinator last year??

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm confused. From the OP title Cleaning House, are you talking about cleaning house because of the dog???
    Just kidding. I'd love to start a thread about dogs but I won't add to this one about some of mine like Landry the German Shepherd (RIP)or Duke the Belgium Malinois (RIP) or Daisy the Boxer or Hershey the Chocolate Lab.
    I will say one rule I have about dogs. Its not a dog unless he/she can knock you over. I don't mean getting tripped by these little yipe yipe things. If you have ever tried to tackle a German Shepherd running at full speed toward you, you will know what I mean.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's awesome. I'm with you. I'm not taking my dog for a walk in a baby stroller (no offense to those of you that do).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great post.

It happens everywhere though. Some kids leave on their own and others are encouraged to leave but as long as the tight scholarship limits remain in effect, there will be always be a large number of kids transferring each season.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    How is that even fair, to have like 15 ships for 25 kids.
    Pro ball has 53-55 players on team for more games then college Football and they get 85 ships.
    No more then 60-65 play a year. Why not cut to 70 or 75 and give baseball at least 22 ships. Is their a rule how many baseball can have.

19. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    It's actually worse than that. . . 11.7 and more kids (I think up to 35 on roster/ 27 on postseason /travel roster). I am sure someone will correct me if the roster numbers are off.

20. KidProQuo

KidProQuo Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You will soon hear from a football fan who is in favor of totally eliminating the baseball program and increasing football scholarships to 95.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1