Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Cleaning concrete floor.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorfan5220, Apr 12, 2020.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My garage has some oily stains on it's concrete surface.

I've tried some cleaners on it to mo avail Do I need one of those sanders? If so how do I acquire one?

2. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    You can rent a floor grinder at one of the rental places but you will probably expose the aggregate in the concrete. Won't hurt it but it will look like crap. You might think of using a concrete paint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    My parents just had someone come in and put down a pattern on their garage floor. They have some really nice options. I would recommend looking into that. I'm sure there are some very good specials right now.

4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I remember inspecting a house where instead of carpet and tile, they had a really cool paint pattern on the slab that they used as their floor covering. Cool as heck.

5. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Paint it, and put gator logo in the middle!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    We have grease stains on our patio where the former owners of our house had a grill. I haven't tried any of the methods detailed in the several videos about stain removal on youtube, so can't vouch for any of the methods in the videos linked below.

clean grease from concrete patio - YouTube

I am planning to try this one:

Years ago (early 70's) when we owned our first home we had an older Canadian couple for neighbors. The husband was a retired chemist for DuPont and in excellent physical condition for a man his age. He mowed his own lawn every 7 days. In a coat and tie. If it was really hot - we lived in Wilmington, Delaware at the time - he would take off his coat but the loosened tie stayed on. That bit of information is an aside to another quirk of this couple. They installed linoleum over the concrete floor in their garage.

7. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    this will work- just depends on you

buy some kerosene and pour it on the floor and then scrub the floor- hose it down and then scrub with powdered tide -hose it down again and wella you will have a clean the floor

8. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A do it yourself type told me he would put muriatic acid on the floor and then use a concrete grinder.